BEWARE of eBay seller partscontainer - bait/switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
eBay item #151596573991 advertises the OE Supplier's air filter for the 8th gen Civic along with a WD Express part number, and even has a picture of the OEM air filter, blue on one side, yellow on the other, but I received a Denso made in China that was entirely yellow. The packing slip invoice indicated Denso 143-3170 and not the part number listed in the ad.

The OE air filter for this application is lightly oiled, like the Fram TG and the old P1 air filters. It is made in the USA by Filtech. The aftermarket yellow Denso I received is probably just yellow-dyed cotton media. It didn't have any oil scent, and it did not feel like any oil was on it, and it did not come in a sealed plastic bag like the OEM and other oiled-media air filters.

The Chinese Denso is probably just a reboxed generic yellow Chinese air filter
mad.gif

And Motorking, why isn't there a Fram TG or Ultra air filter for the 8th gen Civic and other Honda that use a lightly oiled air filter as OE? Because that is what I would've bought had you made one.

If you think that’s bad and scary wait until you get a fake part that looks every bit like the real thing. There is so much counterfeiting on EBay and similar online venues.

Buy from a real store.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
If you think that’s bad and scary wait until you get a fake part that looks every bit like the real thing. There is so much counterfeiting on EBay and similar online venues.

Buy from a real store.

Did, lost a coil to bad set of plugs.

I've bought from them successfully in the past. However, it was Toyota SLLC coolant which would be really tough to counterfeit.

Did you try to resolve the issue? eBay WILL side with you and they'll have to issue a refund.

I have two sons who will argue with you about ebay siding with the buyer. I'm a seller and work hard to keep the customer satisfied.

However, important items such as oil filters, etc I buy from Amazon or other car parts from Advance Auto using the ever present 20-30% off coupons.

----------UPDATE-------

Seller says they ran out of the OEM filters which is the reason they sent out the Denso and will let me return it for a refund.

However, the seller should've told me this *before* sending me the alternate part, not after.

Originally Posted By: Jim_Truett
Originally Posted By: Dyusik

Did, lost a coil to bad set of plugs.

Lots of counterfeit NGK laser iridium plugs on ebay.

Denso in Toyota OE packaging.

I experienced this with a toyota thermostat
Seller said toyota oem part with corresponding part number. It came in a generic box and the part had dust all over it. Lacked the toyota marking that the original has.

When i emailed the seller they insisted it was oem and it didnt have the same markibgs because they buy in bulk. They wanted me to ship it back to them on my dime. I filed a dispute with the credit card company (not ebay). I got the money back and did not send the part back.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
eBay item #151596573991 advertises the OE Supplier's air filter for the 8th gen Civic along with a WD Express part number, and even has a picture of the OEM air filter, blue on one side, yellow on the other, but I received a Denso made in China that was entirely yellow. The packing slip invoice indicated Denso 143-3170 and not the part number listed in the ad.

The OE air filter for this application is lightly oiled, like the Fram TG and the old P1 air filters. It is made in the USA by Filtech. The aftermarket yellow Denso I received is probably just yellow-dyed cotton media. It didn't have any oil scent, and it did not feel like any oil was on it, and it did not come in a sealed plastic bag like the OEM and other oiled-media air filters.

The Chinese Denso is probably just a reboxed generic yellow Chinese air filter
mad.gif

And Motorking, why isn't there a Fram TG or Ultra air filter for the 8th gen Civic and other Honda that use a lightly oiled air filter as OE? Because that is what I would've bought had you made one.

So you may get the filter for free in this case, not a bad deal, just contact ebay, not as described and also paypal if you used it. its fraud, your protected by ebay, yes, its possible you may have to send it back.

oops, just read you got your refund, its why I like ebay so much, you are NEVER stuck with anything you buy if its "not as described" its really that simple.

Thanks for posting though, Ill remember to avoid that seller if I ever run across it, simply to avoid the hassle, maybe

Last edited:
I buy a lot on ebay and have learned to be wary. The auction picture is of two different filters, probably a stock photo as it is copyrighted. They say OE supplier, which is true, Denso is. That is the word trick they use. If real Denso they would be high quality, not yellow cotton. I go out of my way to buy Denso air filters if they have them for my car.

That sucks, but in a way, it sounds like they were honest according to their name: partscontainer. Sounds like that's what they sold you.

If I can't find it at Amazon or RockAuto, I generally don't buy it for this reason.

if you really want oem parts you need to buy from a Seller that is a dealers parts dept.
Even rockauto or amazon wont always be 100% right.

That being said even dealer parts dept will occadionally make mistakes too.

Here's the problem,they have negative feedback. The only time I've ever been screwed on eBay was when I didn't check their feedback first. I've never been gyped by a seller that has 100% positive feedback,so I blamed myself basically.

I've been an eBay member since 1999. My feedback is over 700. I've only had 2 bad experiences. Ebay is made up of both good, honest people and those out to make a buck at any cost. Always read the feedback before you buy or sell and make sure you add your feedback after each transaction. Ebay has plenty of good members who value their feedback numbers meaning they'll do their best to make sure your transaction went well.

It is very common on eBay and Amazon for people to advertise the black Tokyo Roki oil filter with a part number ending in AA160 that is OEM on Subarus made in Japan and then ship the blue cans that US Subaru dealers use and sell...when a buyer complains, the seller will just say that Subaru considers them to be equivalent items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back