2006 Acura TSX maintenance items?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So going to work on Acura in the coming days/weeks.

Planning to do following things:

1- Engine oil and filter change 5W30 PP synthetic and A02 Honda OEM filter

2-PSF change with Honda OEM

3- ATF, 3x D&F with Acura DW1

4-Coolant D&F with pep boy's OEM(brand) coolant

5-Air and Cabin filter, need suggestions where should I get it from? Walmart or RA or AAP?

6-Brake fluid, will do with front brakes in a few months.

Anything else you guys would suggest or I should add to my list? Spark Plugs, maybe or Serpentine belt?

Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

Buy the TG or Fram Ultra oil filter. Fram makes the Honda ones now but the XG7317's are the best for under 9.00
Air filter,try and go on autoanything and get a kn cabin filter and aem dryflow air filter, or see if napa is still doing all their filter sales.

We bought a 2006 TSX new and have been loving it for 180K miles.
I now use Mobil1 5w20 High Milage and a Wix or M1 filter.
I believe the Acura dealerships now use 5w20.
Air filters every 1 or 2 years? Cabin AF whenever as well.

ATF spill and fill every 25K miles or so with Honda fluid. MaxLife aint bad either...
Pedal Pump brake fluid flush avery 60K or so.

Plugs at 90K and 170K. Makes a difference. Denso plugs rock. My car had 2 Densos and 2 NGK's from the factory.

At 120K I replaced the water pump, tensioner and belt.
At 160K I replaced the alternator.
Flushed Power steering fluid.

Dang thing runs like new.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk
We bought a 2006 TSX new and have been loving it for 180K miles.
I now use Mobil1 5w20 High Milage and a Wix or M1 filter.
I believe the Acura dealerships now use 5w20.
Air filters every 1 or 2 years? Cabin AF whenever as well.

ATF spill and fill every 25K miles or so with Honda fluid. MaxLife aint bad either...
Pedal Pump brake fluid flush avery 60K or so.

At 120K I replaced the water pump and tensioner.
At 160K I replaced the alternator.
Flushed Power steering fluid.

Dang thing runs like new.

You are the GUY to ask questions, what about spark plugs? Ever touched them? I have a HUGE stash of 5W20, once I run out of 5W30, will use 5W20 in it.

What kind of air and cabin air filter have you used?

I revised my post after thinking about it. I use Wix filters and stock NGK or Denso plugs. Stock is good.
This is my wife's car. I think she prefers it to her 2018 RX450h.

Last edited:
I revised my post after thinking about it. I use Wix filters and stock NGK or Denso plugs. Stock is good.
This is my wife's car. I think she prefers it to her 2018 RX450h.

Awesome man, by any chance do you know if it uses Iridium or Platinum?

I'll add spark plugs to the list and might get Wix from NAPA.

With 175K (much like the Highlander in my signature) things I got to are

a) Front and rear struts (with new boots)
b) Front engine mount (worth replacing all of them if you have the money)
c) D&F OEM coolant as you have already on the list
d) Cleaning MAF and TB
e) If you know what you are doing get to the Fuel filter
f) Lube all window tracks (every 30K miles)
g) If you know what you are doing replace the O2 sensors (they have become lazy, they worth is 150K)
h) Replace the plugs
g) If you had the money replace the LCA and LBJ

Good luck and the TL-TypeS was the best vehicle I have ever driven, front-wheel drive and they leave the BMW 3 series far behind in handling.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy

What do both of those stand for?

Should be irridium. Pretty much anything Honda of that vintage will be using them.

Everything else on your list looks good. Pay a little more money for a good quality air filter and then whatever cabin filter you want and you should be good to go. The K-series engine is a good one. I think it was someone on Jalopnik that dyno'ed one at 500k and it hadn't lost but a few HP over new.

https://jalopnik.com/see-how-much-horsepower-this-500-000-mile-honda-really-1784944558

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy

What do both of those stand for?

Lower Control Arm and Lower Ball Joint

Originally Posted By: ctechbob
Should be irridium. Pretty much anything Honda of that vintage will be using them.

Everything else on your list looks good. Pay a little more money for a good quality air filter and then whatever cabin filter you want and you should be good to go. The K-series engine is a good one. I think it was someone on Jalopnik that dyno'ed one at 500k and it hadn't lost but a few HP over new.

https://jalopnik.com/see-how-much-horsepower-this-500-000-mile-honda-really-1784944558

Yeah, I have seen yotube videos of that guy, it's insane what he has done
laugh.gif

Doesn't your TSX have the MM? If so, you can follow its suggestions with no problems
smile.gif

The A02 is basically a Fram Orange PH7317. And since even the orange cans now have a silicone ADBV, you might as well save a little money and buy the Fram. Alternatively, you can step up to the TG or even Ultra if you desire a more premium filter. I lusually like Wix, but I don't like what Wix makes for this application because the media cartridge is much smaller due to the design of the bypass they use.

Do you plan on using the OCI suggested by the MM?

Nothing wrong with Honda's DW1, but Maxlife is a very popular full synthetic ATF at a great price. I also like Castrol's synthetic ATF when it is on sale.

Walmart also carries Prestone Honda PSF at a great price, if you ever need any. Is changing the PSF necessary? I know some Hondas of this era were recalled for some seals in the PS system causing a leak.

For the air filter, get OEM

For the cabin filter, get Micronair HN03104C. It's a charcoal/carbon filter, and US-made. Micronair is the OE supplier, but Honda does not offer a cabin filter with charcoal from the Honda or Acura dealer.

If the spark plugs haven't been replaced, replace them. Use only the OE-spec Denso or NGK iridium (or perhaps the Denso TT)

I actually have a bunch of OEM A02 oil filters laying around, so as DW1 fluid - so I am kind of set there.

Air filter and Cabin filter, for now planning to go Wix, if price is same, maybe Honda OEM. I'll check Micronair HN03104C, thanks for the tip.

Might as well do the spark plugs too!

NGK # 6994 LASER IRIDIUM Premium Spark Plugs IZFR6K-11

I think this is the Denso:
Denso (3377) SKJ20DR-M11 Iridium Spark Plug

NGK # 6994 LASER IRIDIUM Premium Spark Plugs IZFR6K-11

I think this is the Denso:
Denso (3377) SKJ20DR-M11 Iridium Spark Plug

Much appreciated, will get whatever is cheaper
smile.gif

The Wally World Fram Air filters should be fine. I would use them.
Heck, if they are cheap enough buy 2 or 3 and change 'em more frequently.
All good; enjoy your beautiful Acura.
The K24 engine is a long runner...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back