Best additive power steering Mercury Sable 01

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

New to this site, high hopes for great recommendations and ideas in future! Thanks for being here!

Today, I'm flushing the power steering system on our Mercury Sable 2001. Lots of squealing! Hoping that does the trick - it's certainly filthy!!

Per the manual, I'll replace with Mercon V. A video I watched strongly advised adding an enhancer/additive. Any thoughts on the best for this system?

Thank you,
KC

+1 on the Lubeguard. I generally don't use PS additives but I think LG is probably a safe bet.
Noise is a common issue with some Ford pumps sometimes you need to use a hand held vacuum pump to get all the air out.

I think I know what you mean although it was a moan more than a squeal ( no comments from the peanut gallery) I have a 2005 Taurus that was noisy. I turkey basted out the fluid and replaced it with Mercon 5. It took 3 sessions with driving in between and turning lock to lock. It got rid of most of the noise but the pump is still not totally quiet. I the. Did two turkey baster sessions and added Valvoline Max Life ATF. It’s a little quiter but I might just go ahead and pull the return line and do a proper replacement with Mercon 5 or Valvoline Max Life ATF

Last edited:
I changed out my old GM pump with synthetic
power steering fluid and that helped a lot.
The thimble size pump was drained (extracted) and
re-filled several times over a couple of weeks.

Check the tension arm/pulley for noise.

My 2¢

One of our techs who did brake and steering / suspension for 30+ years and was a Ford chassis master tech said when you use Mercon V to add a bottle of XL-3 friction modifier.

I believe Ford has a specific bleeding procedure to get the air out including pulling a vacuum.

I've never needed additives in the power steering.

I have used M1 ATF for 30 years in Ford PS pumps and have never had one to be noisy or fail. I turkey baster the fluid every 10K, when I change engine oil.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I have used M1 ATF for 30 years in Ford PS pumps and have never had one to be noisy or fail. I turkey baster the fluid every 10K, when I change engine oil.

Do you use that in the trans also? Thinking of switching the Matrix over from Mobil 3309 to the M1 ATF. Prob buy it on Amazon.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: tig1

Do you use that in the trans also? Thinking of switching the Matrix over from Mobil 3309 to the M1 ATF. Prob buy it on Amazon.

I have for the last 30 years with the exception of my new 2017 Fusion, which calls for Mercon LV, and M1 ATF does not have that spec. However my 2007 Fusion calls for FNR-5 ATF and all I have ever used in it is M1 and it doesn't meet that spec either but has performed great for the last 11 years and 223K. Also I have never had a trans fail with M1 ATF either. Yet anyway.

I never used Lubegard but I would trust it more than Lucas. Ford pumps are naturally noisy, use the best fluid you can get.

With that said, I have Coastal Mercon V in a friend’s Explorer. Works just fine.

Originally Posted By: nthach
I never used Lubegard but I would trust it more than Lucas. Ford pumps are naturally noisy, use the best fluid you can get.

With that said, I have Coastal Mercon V in a friend’s Explorer. Works just fine.

I have never had a Ford PS pump make noise that I could detect.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
I think I know what you mean although it was a moan more than a squeal ( no comments from the peanut gallery) I have a 2005 Taurus that was noisy. I turkey basted out the fluid and replaced it with Mercon 5.

Obligatory peanut gallery post - a Ford power steering pump was noisy? Say it ain't so.
wink.gif

I've had good luck with Lubegard as well. That would be my first choice. I've heard a lot of Ford PS pumps making noise, however I can't comment on how they were maintained. My 30+ year old Ford PS pump has been problem free, maybe I got a good one.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back