Dog dies after travelling in overhead compartment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like more bad PR for United. The attendant apparently said the dog must be put into the overhead compartment.

United had 3/4 of all animal deaths last year and 10 times the death rate of the next biggest airline Alaska.

Over head compartments air tight? Or maybe the poor dog had a heart attack from stress?

I would NOT want a streessed-out dog over my head.

Air tightness would not be my primary concern, though I can see it would be important for the dog.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
A dog owner let that happen?

That's what I was thinking too. They should've put that pos stewardess in the overhead storage instead.

This is just one more reason why I will NEVER fly again and haven't since about 2002. If I can't drive I just won't go.

Originally Posted By: Irishman
This is just one more reason why I will NEVER fly again and haven't since about 2002. If I can't drive I just won't go.

Or just don't fly with American Airlines and choose a different airline.

Airline travel used to be civilized. Now in the US it’s no different than a developing country with chickens and pigs mixed in with passengers.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Airline travel used to be civilized. Now in the US it’s no different than a developing country with chickens and pigs mixed in with passengers.

I have flown a few times in last few months no issues with direct flights even with ski gear. You definitely have to be keen on the charges for things like carry-ons now.

They need to restrict these comfort animals and pets on flights, and what idiot flight attendant tells you to put a dog in the overhead bin?

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: PimTac

I have flown a few times in last few months no issues with direct flights even with ski gear. You definitely have to be keen on the charges for things like carry-ons now.

Some airlines are much better than others. I fly international so I have my choices. None are American carriers btw.

Poor doggo
frown.gif

Another example of why domestic airlines are absolute garbage.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
They need to restrict these comfort animals and pets on flights, and what idiot flight attendant tells you to put a dog in the overhead bin?

Was the dog a comfort animal? Sounds like United allows dogs to be crated in the cabin, for a fee, and if it can be fit under the seat.

The dog was barking and the stewardess made a bad choice. I've never seen a seal on an overhead compartment and they're never tightly shut. Seems like it would be unlikely to be an O2 issue.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Was the dog a comfort animal? Sounds like United allows dogs to be crated in the cabin, for a fee, and if it can be fit under the seat.

The dog was barking and the stewardess made a bad choice. I've never seen a seal on an overhead compartment and they're never tightly shut. Seems like it would be unlikely to be an O2 issue.

They don't belong on the flight unless it's a service animal.

They don't belong on the flight unless it's a service animal.

Then why did they let her board the plane in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back