M1 0W40 vs Total 9000 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both oils are on sale at my local retailer. For my GLK350 which is the better performer overall?.... Next OCI this spring, therefore for warmer temps

Last edited:
If you can actually get Total, try it
smile.gif

Nice to see an oil that isn't the same thing everyone else uses. I've never seen any Total oil on a US store shelf. And I've seen PUP *and* I've even seen Amsoil, but never Total
crazy2.gif

Total has popped up and more accessible now through Part source, owned by [censored] tire In Canada... Might be a sales market test to see if it would be worth selling in [censored] Tire

M1 0W-40 is a hard oil to beat, and it’s a [censored] of a value. Total may be worse than the M1 and it costs more.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
M1 0W-40 is a hard oil to beat, and it’s a [censored] of a value. Total may be worse than the M1 and it costs more.

I do not know is it "worse" then M1 if it meets MB229.5.
This FS M1 is IMO unimpressive in all aspects.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Is the FS M1 the gold label 0W40?

What I have in my stock is the grey label "European Car Forumla" is this the better version? Its getting replaced?

thanks

I was just going to post about this "Total" oil and ask what it's all about? I noticed it today just scrolling through the Part Source weekly flyer and wondered if it was new, where it came from, etc? I noticed the price and thought to myself, its a pretty stout price for something that is new on the market, but maybe its not new at all?
http://www.partsource.ca/en/flyer.html

Not saying it's worse, just saying it is seldom used here due to availability. I'd rather choose something that I know has a good track record. M1 0W-40 FS has lots of reviews and UOAs here and seems pretty solid (almost as good as it once was)... plus it's ~$4-5 per quart and readily available. If Total was the same price, I'd say go for it.

Not saying it's worse, just saying it is seldom used here due to availability. I'd rather choose something that I know has a good track record. M1 0W-40 FS has lots of reviews and UOAs here and seems pretty solid (almost as good as it once was)... plus it's ~$4-5 per quart and readily available. If Total was the same price, I'd say go for it.

M1 FS doesn't even hold BMW LL-01 any more, while the TOTAL does. On TOTAL's TDS they don't claim that it is a full synthetic, just that it is "synthetic technology."

If you're gonna go with expensive French oil, go with Motul.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Flying_A

Agreed. However, I'll pass on French anything. Except maybe some fries.

Agreed. However, I'll pass on French anything. Except maybe some fries.

Haha that's not really fair... Contrary to popular belief the French are pretty innovative and are responsible for a ton of high-tech stuff in the automotive and motorsport sector.

Last edited:
Haha that's not really fair... Contrary to popular belief the French are pretty innovative and are responsible for a ton of high-tech stuff in the automotive and motorsport sector.

Haha fair enough. I’ll still pass on Total, though! Hard to justify the premium.

Hard to do business with FCPA winners … one of the largest fines in history for bribes with Iran … so much for sanctions

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Hard to do business with FCPA winners … one of the largest fines in history for bribes with Iran … so much for sanctions

“In the fourth biggest FCPA case ever, French oil giant Total S.A. agreed Wednesday to pay $398 million in penalties and disgorgement for bribing an Iran official.”

Your statement checks out.

LOL, I am not sure we are innocent on that front either.

Total is not that present in US, but it is shoulder to shoulder with Mobil1, Castrol, Shell etc.

“In the fourth biggest FCPA case ever, French oil giant Total S.A. agreed Wednesday to pay $398 million in penalties and disgorgement for bribing an Iran official.”

Your statement checks out.

And Exxon-Mobil and BP and such other oil companies have never done anything wrong right?
Oil companies are some of the most shady evil corporations there are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back