Rotella T6 CK4 JASO Wet clutch

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://rotella.shell.com/products/t6-full-synthetic.html

at the very bottom of the page..

OEM Specifications and Approvals for Shell ROTELLA® T6 full synthetic heavy duty engine oil

API: CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4
ACEA E9; JASO DH-2; Cummins CES 20086; Volvo VDS-4.5; Detroit Fluid Specification (DFS) 93K222, Caterpillar ECF-2/ECF-3, MAN M3575, JASO MA/MA2, Allison TES 439, MB-Approval 228.31

So yes u are good to go... also has the Allison approval?

Which grade? What vehicle?

I haven't seen too many reports of people using the new T6 with wet clutches.

That being said there are lots of people who have used non JASO MA oil in their Japanese motorcycles for a long time now. For a while it seemed like Mobil1 15W50 was favored in this application.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Which grade? What vehicle?

I haven't seen too many reports of people using the new T6 with wet clutches.

That being said there are lots of people who have used non JASO MA oil in their Japanese motorcycles for a long time now. For a while it seemed like Mobil1 15W50 was favored in this application.

5W40

Main use in 2007 Yamaha 1100 V star, but may also use in 2014 Supercharged Seadoo 1.5L

Last edited:
I've had good luck with any 15/40 HDEO(I use Delo or Rotella 15/40) + 1 qt. of straight 40w in my old R6 and my 1100 Honda. The T6 just sheared to quick in my bikes. On your bike I would add 1 qt. of straight 40wt but run straight T6 in the Seadoo(no transmission to kill the oil).

ROD

the 5-40 which is prolly group III a LOT of viscosity improvers are needed, hence its shearing. unless you start + ride in very cold weather a 5W is a waste IMO

Originally Posted By: benjy
the 5-40 which is prolly group III a LOT of viscosity improvers are needed, hence its shearing. unless you start + ride in very cold weather a 5W is a waste IMO

I agree completely. Unless you are a hard core cold weather rider, 5w-40 is not needed. Rotella T4 15w-40 will be a much better option and won't shear down near as fast as any 5w-40. I have also used Delo, Delvac and SuperTec 15w-40 with success but I like the new Rotella T4 15w-40 the best now.

Now that spring is here, and I just did an oil change on the bike, I'm back into the motorcycle forum
grin.gif

I've been using T6 in my bikes for years, and that's the old T6. I have yet to buy the new T6.

I do ride in the cold. This year I had the bike out in February because it was a warm sunny day. My chain sure didn't like the salt though..

So if I understand everyone correctly, the T6 is a concern because of the quick shearing? Is 11.5 - 12 cst a big concern with a liquid cooled bike like the strom?

Too bad T5 10w30 isn't jaso certified. I bet it would shear a lot less and probably be "thicker" than the T6 after shearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back