Picked up a new beater Saturn SL2

Hey guys. I picked up a 2001 SL2 yesterday as a cheap little get around vehicle. It has 235000kms, 5 speed, power everything. Even cruise. I love it. I’m gonna give it a full mechanical once over starting today with oil, filter, and air filter. Next will be plugs and wires. Thinking I’ll run mostly PP to keep the oil control rings as clean as possible.

Any tips to keep these little beasts running tip top?

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
How much did you get it for?

Oh yeah. 450 bucks Canadian. Or roughly 30 US dollars.

Originally Posted By: Warlord

I thought Trump was making the US dollar fall???
;^)

BITOG's favorite compact beater! Famous for being the cheapest car on the road and being a notorious oil drinker!

A coworker asked me for a rec for a car for his teenage kid, I suggested the SL2. He was not impressed, normies don't know nothing.

Run diesel oil (10w-30 or 5W-40) to keep the oil burning under control.

Use a Fram 3600 / Purolator 20195 oil filter.

If you don’t mind loosing cruise control, change 5th gear from a .730 to a .605, drops rpms by a thousand...

Before putting in "good" oil, run it for a bit and see how much it decides to drink.

Check for rust. I think control arms are a problem.

I signed up over at saturnfans last night. As for rust there really isn’t any underneath. Amazing really. I’m pretty happy with this little monster.

Originally Posted By: Warlord

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats

If you don’t mind loosing cruise control, change 5th gear from a .730 to a .605, drops rpms by a thousand...

I put a wrong-year trans in my 2000 SL1 and the emissions monitors didn't kick in. I found a chart and that the 3rd gear ratios were still the same-- so I held it at 50 MPH in 3rd for a while and all was good.
laugh.gif

The dopey computer assumes that invalid input:eek:utput ratios mean the clutch is half-engaged and won't allow various things to happen.

I had a first generation Saturn beater .I remember I used 20w50 in the summer then after memorial day I would just stat adding 10w40. Used so much oil I don't remember changing it often .I do remember the coolant temperature gauge would move big time when the thermostat opened or closed.

Originally Posted By: Recalculating
Look over the coolant temperature sensor and its connector.

Thats a good suggestion. The polymer cts would always eventually leak and corrode the wiring connector. Saturn started using a brass one on the 01-02 models. But if you got an early 01, it could be there.

Last edited:
Did the oil change and replaced the most clogged up air filter I’ve ever seen. It’s amazing the thing even ran. I gotta say I really don’t care for the location of the oil filter. I went in through the wheel well but I can see the benefit to using the longer filter.

Next up is the plugs and wires, the belt, pcv, thermostat (stays at 1/4 temp) and I’ll look over the temp sensor and connection.

I liked Denso wires and O2 sensor from Rock Auto. NGK plugs were OEM. I bought them there also. My thermostats lasted 80k to 100k before they would go bad. I used OEM or Stant. Last I read at Saturnfans a PCV valve that just has a pinhole was recommended. That was the last one I used. They have the part numbers there.

There is a way of telling if you have the new style temp sensor. Something to do with the shape, etc of part you can see after installed.

RE: oil change. It was a mess. I cut a plastic jug and put it over axle to divert oil past the axle. It did help keep the axle clean. I eventualy went to an extended size oil filter (Fram 3600 or equivalent) and changed the filter every other oil change. It seems like Fram Ultra would be up to this task.

When you do the wires remove the coil packs. Make sure the terminals are clean. There is a metal plate where it mounts to the engine. Remove that and clean it with Scotch Bright. I applied a little dialectric grease. Bought my car with 71,666 and by 75,000 had a weak O2 Sensor and dealership picked up a misfire. It was caused by that plate for coils getting corrosion.

While you are getting things done you may want to clean the EGR and throttle body. I installed a Klean screen on the EGR after the pintle stuck open and would hardly idle. Almost got stuck 30 miles from home the Klean screen kept this from happening after cleaning.

EGR Klean Screen

If you ever need a transission mount, torque struts (dogbones) or top engine mount use OEM. Never every use Anchor aftermarket on transmission and dogbones. I lost several good years off my car after I installed them. I had to install OEM transmission mount and Prothane inserts in dogbones to make the car driveable again.

The most important thing is the check your oil. I sorta miss my Saturn (not).
grin.gif
Enjoy your new toy.
smile.gif

Spark plugs use NGK V Powers, BKR6E-11
(One heat range colder)
PCV is PCV1109DL (Autozone)
Thermostat 14279 (Advanced Auto, only works with OEM housing)
OEM thermostat housing will have “Made In Germany” thermostat inside

Last edited:
Back