Ever gave away or received a free vehicle? Of my

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have given each of my daughters one of our old cars. I also won a used car once in a contest.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I have given each of my daughters one of our old cars. I also won a used car once in a contest.

You win it in a drag race?

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Guess he wasn't granny shiftin' and was double clutching...
grin.gif

1991 Nissan Sentra from my uncle. 3spd auto, GA16DE, 200,000mi, solid little car. It needed some work done to be a reliable daily driver. It was a huge blessing to have this car too after the headgasket blew in my brother's Toyota truck so it still gave him a means of transportation.

That was 5 years ago but so many memories in the several years we owned it. Even towed my Silverado when the fuel pump went out. It was on backroads at a low speed but that was ridiculous.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv

No. A car dealership was giving away some used cars. You just had to submit your name. Got lucky. It was a big old boat Chrysler I sold soon after.

I recently gave my stepdaughter a mint low mile SC W body, she lost her Genesis Coupe in the Houston flood, shipped it by truck.
If there was a good mass transit system I would get rid of the others and wouldn't buy another.

My dad gave me a '76 Nova when I graduated from college, did the trick for me for a couple years in TX until I had saved up some money and somebody also decided to hit me from behind going about 45mph when I was stopped (traffic was blocking the road for no real good reason).
He actually offered me my choice of any one of his three cars, the other two were Maverick/Comets and there was no question in my mind that the Chevy was the best choice. Dad bought himself a used Marquis not long after that, he was hard of hearing by then and wouldn't believe me when I told him there was a strong hiss of high pressure air escaping when I drove it (seemed to be from the steering column). He loved that car and it was sad when we had to arrange to have it towed away a while after he had a stroke. Dad kept insisting he was going to get strong again and start driving and walking again, eventually even he had to face up to the fact that he was wheelchair bound and that was that.
Dad insisted that we pretend I had paid him $1500 for the Nova, I'm not sure what he was thinking of but maybe he was trying to avoid gift tax?

Aunt gave me a '84 VW Rabbit back in 1992. Just had to put a new battery in it.
Drove it for 3 years or so and sold it to a friend for $200. He drove it for another 3 years or so, he gave it to his brother, not sure what happened to it after that.

Cousin gave me my current '02 F150 (with a bad motor).

Won a Mazda MPV back in '96 (was a radio station giveaway). Took cash from the dealer and used it for a down payment on a house.

Never given one away, although my daughter will probably be getting the Scion in another year or so.

An 89 Delta 88 from my father in law. One of the first front wheel drive, 88’’s . Put in a killer Kenwood stereo with Bluetooth, satellite radio, CD player and drive port and gave it to my teenage daughter to drive to school. When she left for college her younger brother inherited it. When he left for college I gave it to the Kidney Foundation but they sold it to Pick N Pull. I hope someone slavaged that killer stereo.

Last edited:
I had an NX Coupe that a customer gave to me for 10 years. I had it sitting around for a couple of months, then decided to do something with it, and fitted another engine. I told the guy we needed to change to ownership, and that's when he told me there was a debt on the car -$4,000! It wasn't even worth $1,000, so I drove it for 5 years under his name, then finally changed it into my name. Always prepared for it to be towed away, but it just wasn't worth recovering.

My BIL left me an old Corolla when he went overseas...and someone stole it. We knew who he was, but he had witness protection, so couldn't do anything about it. When the BIL came back a year or so later, I gave him my Corolla as a replacement. When he was finished with it, he left it parked down the road with the keys in it...it took a few days to disappear.

Had a co-workers uncle give me a 1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse with the 1.8 that needed a new cylinder head.
Bought a head off of ebay and found out it needed a trans too.
Lost overdrive.

Gave my Sentra, quite well sorted and the best car I've bought, to friends when I went to Taiwan. They scrapped it when the tax ran out, though until recently I could still see it on Google Earth.

Inherited my mothers Renault 5 Campus when she stopped driving. Quite a nice little car (last pushrod engine I had) and only moderately French, but a bit too shiny for me.

Shiny is annoying when they get scratched, which somehow never seems to happen with bangers.

My parents gave me my first car when they inherited something nicer from my Grandma. But that hardly counts-- that's a rite of passage, though I guess my upper middle class privilege is showing.

Some rando person on saturnfans gave me a free 1994 SL2. He had curbed it and bent the subframe. I drove it home with a serious pull. The brakes had rusted up from sitting but freed up with driving. It also had a lousy battery and needed jump starts every time. I fixed the subframe and resold it which gave me seed money for the next project... and I started bringing more terrible cars home.
laugh.gif

I was given an '87 Pontiac Bonneville when I was like 14. The trans was shot, rebuilt the trans with the help of the old gent I worked for at the time and enjoyed it after that. Got my first nookie in that car... kind of a milestone.

It ended up being stolen from in front of my parents house, used in connection with a sexual assault, held for evidence in the police impound for 6 months, and given back to me by the county. When I got back to it, there were swatches of fabric cut out (think "DNA SAMPLES") and cigarette butts everywhere. Funniest thing, the screwdriver they used to start it was still on the seat AND IT FIRED UP!! I drove it to the gas station, aired up the tires, drove it home and sold it for $800 later that week. I wanted NOTHING to do with that car after that.

My aunt gave me her 2004 VW Beetle TDI in August 2014. I drove it for a year after pouring in a ton of money into it and the camshaft was worn out and the transmission was failing (was meticulously maintained too). Sold it in December 2015. That was a great day when that car was gone.

Might as well have been free. I bought a '79 Fairmont for $100 from a guy at church after he heard I totaled my last beater three weeks after purchase.

I drove it for three years and sold it to a guy stationed at the nearby AFB for $500.

It was my commuter car of sorts, as I drove it to the airport and parked it when I traveled.

I'd put new tires and such in it, so I didn't feel bad selling it on for $500 three years after I bought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back