Real milk

Status
Not open for further replies.
This cost me $1.00 as there's a $2.00 deposit per bottle. Plus I drink buttermilk and bake with it
smile.gif

I won't trust milk from a place like Wal Mart, Giant Eagle etc. that's just me

Does the stuff from the local dairy taste like onions at certain times of the year?
A friend of mine from MO who grew up on a cattle farm told me that was the worst part of drinking raw milk. I'm not sure if they had their own dairy cows or bought it from neighbors, I'm pretty sure his family specialized in beef cattle.
My dairy farmer cousins never mentioned this to me, maybe wild onions are not as much of an issue in WI?

Dunno, this milk is DELICIOUS though. Their chocolate and strawberry milk are like drinking a milkshake too

No need to go to the farm around here; plenty of local retailers offer locally produced milk.

"Way better" tasting than synthetic blends offered by Wally World

Hats off on supporting your neighbors.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: car51
This cost me $1.00 as there's a $2.00 deposit per bottle.

I wish ours was this inexpensive. That kind of local dairy milk in a half-gallon glass bottle is $3.79 here, plus bottle deposit, of course.

Their holiday eggnog also comes in a glass bottle and is really good, too.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
No need to go to the farm around here; plenty of local retailers offer locally produced milk.

"Way better" tasting than synthetic blends offered by Wally World

Hats off on supporting your neighbors.

Thank You and the farm is maybe 20 minute drive from me via back roads
smile.gif

This cost me $1.00 as there's a $2.00 deposit per bottle. Plus I drink buttermilk and bake with it
smile.gif

I won't trust milk from a place like Wal Mart, Giant Eagle etc. that's just me

Next time you go to the grocery store look at the USDA number - it indicates the state and USDA registered facility it was produced. More likely than not it was made by the same company that made the local name brand name milk. Same stuff different label.

I grew up on non pasteurized milk from a local farm. Worked in the meat packing facility that cut and packaged the beef from that farm too.

Is your real milk non pasteurized?

We had a great time skimming the cream off of the top, and making the worlds most incredible whipped cream.

On cereal, we'd shake up the gallon to mix the cream and the milk, and pour. Good God that was delicious on Familia Swiss Muesli. (rolled whole grains with nuts n fruit)

EDIT: Now you've done it. I'm searching for that cereal and finding some local milk.....

Last edited:
I always wondered what was wrong with the third bottle of milk in front of Napoleon.
Did the farmers have sly grins on their faces as he drank it??
Would it have gotten the movie an R rating?
;^)

Cujet,

Do you mean non-homogenized? That's what keeps the cream on top.

Virtus,

Yes, in Alabama if you get non-homogenized milk it will taste like onions sometimes.

car51,

Try to find some non-homogenized. That tastes more like real milk.
smile.gif

Dunno, this milk is DELICIOUS though. Their chocolate and strawberry milk are like drinking a milkshake too

Probably because they didn't separate the fat from the milk. Legally in the US whole milk is 3.25% far and if it's not separated it could be as high as 5% milkfat depending on the breed.

@ Car51: Bruntons Milk is EXCELLENT. But then again, some of the other Local Dairys produce a very good product too. (Schneider's and Turner's)

Be careful when purchasing milk at WalMart. They have taken steps to force local small farmers out of business. I would NEVER buy their Great Value brand of fluid milk.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Farm fresh milk bought locally,there is nothing better !

Yeah, I'm done with almond milk and other garbage. I have the Bruntons 1% milk also
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Milkman
@ Car51: Bruntons Milk is EXCELLENT. But then again, some of the other Local Dairys produce a very good product too. (Schneider's and Turner's)

Be careful when purchasing milk at WalMart. They have taken steps to force local small farmers out of business. I would NEVER buy their Great Value brand of fluid milk.

Turners and other are great. Wal Mart milk or eggs I'll never touch.

I am so jealous!

When I was a young boy my family bought our milk from a local dairy. It came in the same style of glass 1/2 gallon bottles, four to a cardboard carrying case. Each time we went, we took the empty bottles back in the carrying case, put the empties in milk crates next to the door, and the dairy workers would fill up the cardboard carrier with bottles of milk again.

If I recall correctly, it was pasteurized, but not homogenized. If my mom got to it first she would skim off the cream and save it for cooking with, or for whipping cream. If I got to it before she did I would do as others have mentioned, and shake it up and drink the whole milk. Oh, it was so good!!!!.

I wish dairy fresh milk was still available somewhere in my area. I would love that. There is nothing as good to drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back