2019 Acura RDX

Status
Not open for further replies.
The RDX is being updated and will now feature a 2.0l DIT engine instead of a 3.5l NA V6. Couldn't find exact power levels for it.
The fancy torque vectoring AWD that they kept on the MDX but dumped from the present generation of RDX is also coming back, and there will be a new 10 speed auto tranny featured as well.
I looked pretty hard at the RDX back in 2014 and liked the performance a lot, but didn't care for the weak AWD (same as the one in the CRV that did poorly in some basic tests) and really did not like the way the local dealer treated me. The sales manager insulted my trade in (RAV6) copiously and expected me to take $1500 less for it than I had already been offered elsewhere to pay him back for having to deal with auctioning off such a disgusting vehicle.
Given that my FXT has already had a CVT valve body replaced (under extended warranty, luckily) and also has DI-only injection with the concomitant possibility of intake valve deposits, I'm starting to think that a 2020ish RDX might be worth considering. I'm not sure if the Acura's new 2.0l turbo with have a combined PFI/DI system, will have to check up on that. I would wait for a model year or more on the new RDX to make sure it didn't have any horrible infant mortality problems...and also try to find a different dealer that isn't too far away.

https://www.acura.com/future-vehicles/acura-rdx-prototype

Originally Posted By: deven
I thought the RDX was the only car in the Acura line-up that always had the turbo engine. No?

Then Gen 2 RDX had a 3.5l V6, definitely moved the car along nicely...probably just a tad quicker than my FXT and without the slight turbo/CVT lag.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Basically the same engine and transmission as the new Accord, so will have real world data already.

I am hoping the RDX might have power numbers more like the Civic Type R than the Accord...I know the engines have a lot in common, but this article steps through the part differences.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-exactly-what-makes-the-2018-honda-accord-and-civi-1820164645

Probably closer to the Accord. I heard someone in sales say one feature on the new RDX will be the ability to run regular grade gas. The Type R requires premium.

Probably closer to the Accord. I heard someone in sales say one feature on the new RDX will be the ability to run regular grade gas. The Type R requires premium.

Interesting info, thanks.
Do you know if the Accord's 2.0l turbo has a combined PFI/DI system?

Have never seen a combined PFI/DI on any Honda product.

Also, if you talk to ANY Acura tech, they will tell you absolutely do NOT get the active damper suspension. Ugh...

Last edited:

Also, if you talk to ANY Acura tech, they will tell you absolutely do NOT get the active damper suspension. Ugh...

Again, thanks so much for the info.
I guess the new RDX would be less attractive to me if I still had DI-only issues to worry about.
Just ordered bottles of Subaru upper engine cleaner and carbon cleaner recently, already have the tool for them and will run one through a vacuum line before my next oil change in a few weeks.

Again, thanks so much for the info.
I guess the new RDX would be less attractive to me if I still had DI-only issues to worry about.
Just ordered bottles of Subaru upper engine cleaner and carbon cleaner recently, already have the tool for them and will run one through a vacuum line before my next oil change in a few weeks.

I dunno. We have had DI for a while now, and we have never seen any kind of issue with valve deposits.

I dunno. We have had DI for a while now, and we have never seen any kind of issue with valve deposits.

I don't know if I've ever had any real issue with intake valve deposits in my FXT, but I end up doing preventive maintenance to try to avoid them, anyway.
I'd have a better feeling about an engine with a combined PFI/DI system, but it's quite possible there would be zero practical benefit to me compared to my present DI setup...

I read and reread the parts description and it appears that we have two different engines with the same Bore & Stroke.
Different block, different cylinder head and most major internal parts.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I read and reread the parts description and it appears that we have two different engines with the same Bore & Stroke.
Different block, different cylinder head and most major internal parts.

Interesting that Type R pistons cost 5X what the Accord pistons do and the intake valves are 3X as expensive!

Not too bad a looking rig. Kind of CRV like at the rear and Pilot like at the front. The interior is nice but personally I’m not a fan of that upper center console. Looks too busy to be fiddling with while driving. Better to use the trackpad but even that is finicky. A commander knob is easier to manipulate.

Looks really nice. The SH-AWD is excellent in my 11 year old Acura MDX. Not quite as good as our Subaru in tough conditions but makes vehicle a tad more fun to drive with torque vectoring on slippery roads(gravel and snow) I encounter. I presume they only improved it.

This upcoming RDX is a step forward for Acura as a whole. They customized the foundational platform that came from Honda to make it truly Acura-exclusive, have a contemporary but proven powertrain, great AWD system, and smartened up the interior by ditching the dual screen layout and using real wood and aluminum as trim.

Btw there was an upgrade to the existing AWD system in 2016 (more rear torque capacity)(don't buy into those bought-and-paid-for Subaru videos that don't simulate real-world conditions, we had a CR-V which got through some unbelievable snow with an "inferior" AWD system). My parents are on their second RDX and they love them.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
This upcoming RDX is a step forward for Acura as a whole. They customized the foundational platform that came from Honda to make it truly Acura-exclusive, have a contemporary but proven powertrain, great AWD system, and smartened up the interior by ditching the dual screen layout and using real wood and aluminum as trim.
Btw there was an upgrade to the existing AWD system in 2016 (more rear torque capacity)(don't buy into those bought-and-paid-for Subaru videos that don't simulate real-world conditions, we had a CR-V which got through some unbelievable snow with an "inferior" AWD system). My parents are on their second RDX and they love them.

I have no beef against Honda...as I mentioned above, I was fairly close to buying an RDX not too long ago and the first car I bought was a CRX. I also had a Toyota RAV4 with what I felt was a mediocre AWD sytem (could send plenty of power to the rear, just too late and then very abruptly which could easily cause the rear to come around with some authority) and got through about 8 New England winters with it as a skier.
But, I don't have any reason to believe that Subaru bought and paid for this review by a Swedish company, they mention that they tested the top 20 selling SUVs in Sweden and I don't think they faked the results.
http://teknikensvarld.se/honda-cr-v-4wd-system-is-not-working-again-163708/

To me, the return to the higher end AWD system as used in the MDX is a big plus for the new RDX. I guess Honda felt the light duty system would be good enough for most RDX buyers and they were probably quite right. I just had to power my car out of 18 inches of snow to make my snowblowing job easier and I want my AWD to help me as much it can at such times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back