2015 Mini Copper Battery Replacement Coding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone folks here replaced one without coding? Also, can i put "non" (AGM (absorbed glass mat)) battery? Thanks

II always do it. You might get by without registration by going with an identical replacement, but if you are changing the type of battery I'd DEFINITELY have the battery registered.

Why would you want to not do it? Id personally not cheap out - penny wise pound foolish. If youw ant to run an experiment, youll find out how well the battery lasts without doing so.

I believe there are non-BMW/mini scan tools that will code a battery replacement. Not sure if they will re-code a new size or type, but both are parameters to be coded in if battery type is changed.

Assuming that the same type of battery is just replaced, that is a simpler coding.

No, the battery needs to be registered to the vehicle due to the “smart” charging system that adjusts the charging profile as the battery ages. If a battery is replaced without registration, the lifespan will be shortened due to the aggressive charging that will take place.

Vehicle coding is not required as long as you match the aH rating to the current one registered and you do not change the battery type. This can be tricky because the battery in the vehicle now may not have the correct aH rating if it has been replaced before. Also, I would not use a non-AGM battery if the battery is inside of the vehicle.

Last edited:
All the newer Minis with the IB system (a box on the Neg terminal-purple arrow) need to have the replacement battery coded (registered with the cars computer), and you should use a AGM replacement.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
I had no knowledge of this. Are there other car makes that require coding?

Newer VW/Audi products do.

OP, if you are in NorCal, I have a Maxisys Elite and I can handle the registration for you.

In that Mini, use an AGM battery - JCI is now bringing them over from Germany for some brands, Deka is supplying O’Reilly.

Get it coded too, I’d wouldn’t experiment with expensive BMW power distribution/body control modules. I think Carista’s app with a authentic ELM327 dongle can do that.

I believe you can register the battery through the left stalk pushbutton just like changing door lock/window/ turnsignal etc. Look in your owners manual. I'd tell you how but mine is older and doesn't require it

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Newer VW/Audi products do.

OP, if you are in NorCal, I have a Maxisys Elite and I can handle the registration for you.

BMW also, but Mini is BMW so there you go. We had a sales guy with an older 5 series that needed battery registration. He someone managed to get a battery from Autozone and started yelling at us that the alternator boiled the battery.

I'm guessing it's going to be on every new vehicle within 7 years to squeeze a small fraction of one MPG better fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: pkunk
All the newer Minis with the IB system (a box on the Neg terminal-purple arrow) need to have the replacement battery coded (registered with the cars computer), and you should use a AGM replacement.

Wow, this is where the Germans are clearly smoking cheap rave drugs. That's such a bad idea it's almost offensive.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol

Wow, this is where the Germans are clearly smoking cheap rave drugs. That's such a bad idea it's almost offensive.

The Japanese are jumping on that bandwagon now. GM has a variant of a "smart" charging system out, and so does Hyundai. The new Prius and Camry have switched over to Euro-sized DIN batteries as well.

Originally Posted By: 2008wrx
Anyone folks here replaced one without coding? Also, can i put "non" (AGM (absorbed glass mat)) battery? Thanks

Good luck with that POS vehicle - smart charging what [censored] is that.
Overengineered BMW junk with no space to even stick a pencil into the engine bay!!!
These POS junk are rotting in dealerships because of the cost of ownership.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Originally Posted By: 2008wrx

Good luck with that POS vehicle - smart charging what [censored] is that.
Overengineered BMW junk with no space to even stick a pencil into the engine bay!!!
These POS junk are rotting in dealerships because of the cost of ownership.
Says the guy with a new Mercedes.

Do you even think for a second your car doesn't have "smart charging"? Even my Hyundai has a form of it.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Says the guy with a new Mercedes.

Do you even think for a second your car doesn't have "smart charging"? Even my Hyundai has a form of it.

crackmeup2.gif
01.gif

Originally Posted By: nthach
Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol

The Japanese are jumping on that bandwagon now. GM has a variant of a "smart" charging system out, and so does Hyundai. The new Prius and Camry have switched over to Euro-sized DIN batteries as well.

Hi there, what is "Euro-sized DIN batteries"? I guess Hyundai and GM are not required to re-code the battery with the car via special tool? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back