AAA - Effects of Top Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
The kind of sad thing about this is... Most drivers aren't aware that top tier is what they should look for, not premium octane fuel. So many people believe that putting 91+ in their car means its higher quality. At some top tier stations thats true, but not all.

Thank you

On a second look, the AAA link has more infestation than the paper. At least, in my case.
Thank you anyway.

Last edited:
my local sunoco does not have any stickers on the pumps. odd because I thought sunoco was a licensed brand.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Thank you

On a second look, the AAA link has more infestation than the paper. At least, in my case.
Thank you anyway.

y'all need Ublock Origin
cool.gif
. That first link said 34% of the page was blocked. The AAA one kept redirecting to get hotels.

I have it, as well as the Privacy Badger. The AAA blog link is useless for me, but the direct study paper link on AWS is valuable.

3c per gallon difference? Here the difference between Top Tier gas and discount brands is closer to 5c /litre which is $C 0.185 per USG, or $US 14.4c per gallon. Plus, depending on the time of year, I have seen it twice that.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
3c per gallon difference? Here the difference between Top Tier gas and discount brands is closer to 5c /litre which is $C 0.185 per USG, or $US 14.4c per gallon. Plus, depending on the time of year, I have seen it twice that.

And just like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

I would like to know what the the model/type/design of the engine used?

One that typically has a lot of deposits? Or one that is historically low on deposits?

You know, if you have a direct injection engine, top-tier gasoline might not matter.
Its only on port injected engines where you get to wash the intake valves in fuel.

Chester11, Sunoco is on the list.
It seems hard to NOT have top-tier gasoline in your tank.
TOP TIER™ Licensed Retail Brands
Aloha
Amoco
ARCO
Beacon
BP
Break Time
Cenex
Chevron
Chevron (El Salvador)
Chevron (Guatemala)
Chevron (Honduras)
Chevron (Panama)
CITGO
Conoco
Co-op
Costco Wholesale
Costco Wholesale - Diesel (select locations only)
CountryMark
CountryMark PLUS
Diamond Shamrock
Esso
Express Mart
Exxon
Fast Fuel
Fast Stop - Diesel (select locations only)
Fast Stop Express - Diesel (select locations only)
Hele
HFN - Hawaii Fueling Network
Holiday
Irving Oil
Kirkland Signature Gasoline
Kirkland Signature - Diesel (select locations only)
Kwik Star
Kwik Trip
Kwik Trip Express
Mahalo
Marathon
Metro Petro
MFA Oil
Mobil
Mobil (Canada)
OAAI
Ohana Fuels
Petro-Canada
Phillips 66
PUMA (El Salvador)
PUMA (Panama)
PUMA (Puerto Rico)
QT
QuikTrip
Ranger
Ranger Mustang
Ranger Stallion
Ranger Thoroughbred
Reeder's
Shamrock
Shell
Shell (Canada)
Shell (Puerto Rico)
Sinclair
Sunoco
SuperAmerica
SuperFuels
Tempo (Canada)
Texaco
Texaco (El Salvador)
Texaco (Guatemala)
Texaco (Honduras)
Texaco (Panama)
Tri-Par Qwik Stop
Valero
Win Win

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
You know, if you have a direct injection engine, top-tier gasoline might not matter.
Its only on port injected engines where you get to wash the intake valves in fuel.

I agree 100%, but it is interesting that some (most?) manufacturers with DI cars recommend using Top Tier fuels. I suppose it still helps clean the injectors clean.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

Do you have a Costco gas station in your area? Costco is not only Top Tier but I often pay less for their premium than other stations are selling regular 87 octane! Last weekend for example I paid $1.21 for premium at Costco, and the most common price at all the other stations in the area for regular 87 was $1.23 (premium at Shell was $1.44!)

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk

I agree 100%, but it is interesting that some (most?) manufacturers with DI cars recommend using Top Tier fuels. I suppose it still helps clean the injectors clean.

GM recommends Top Tier for my Corvette and it has DI and I will never run anything but Top Tier in it.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Almost all gasoline is 10% ethanol these days, and ethanol's solvency is pretty strong for injector tips. Or drop in a bottle of Techron every month to be sure, if not already using top-tier juice.

The Non top-tier gas still has detergents in it, but not as much as top-tier. I buy most of my fuel at Hy VEE or Sam's club which is not on the list but it still has detergent in it and vehicle runs just fine. Once in a while, about 2-3 times a year I will run a tank of Shell, which is on the top tier list. I mainly go to Shell for no other reason than to go through the automatic car wash. I have seen the same tanker truck goes from station to station they will dump a load of fuel at HyVEE (not on top teir) list then down the street to unload fuel at Quik Trip (on the list) Maybe all fuel is top tier ?? Or Not. Maybe the state pump police tests for additives, I do not know. I mostly buy fuel at stations that are the most convenient, I do spend $10.00 in fuel driving all over the city looking to save a couple of cents per gallon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back