M1 5w30 Factory Fill, 1111 miles, 2018 Corvette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
Here are the first oil analysis results for my 2018 Corvette, analysis done by Wearcheck Canada:

Mobil 1 5w30 (factory fill)
AC Delco PF64 oil filter
1,111 miles on oil
Nov, 2017 to Mar 3, 2018 (4 months)
1,111 miles total
7 quart oil capacity
No make up oil

Iron 48
Lead 3
Aluminum 4
Copper 36
Chromium 1
Nickel 0
Tin 1
Silver 0
Vanadium 0

Silicon 124
Potassium 6
Sodium 5

Moly 151
Boron 82
Calcium 1217
Magnesium 446
Manganese 2
Titanium 0

Phosphorus 623
Zinc 771

Soot 0
Glycol 0
Water 0
Fuel 2%

Viscosity at 100c 9.3
Viscosity at 40c 51.3
Viscosity Index 165

I put in Mobil 1 5w30 again and an AC Delco PF64 filter. Hopefully on the next oil change I will be able to find the new Mobil 1 0w40 ESP that is now the factory fill on the 2019 Corvettes (which went into production the last week of January) I will probably do the second oil change as soon as I can get that new oil, it's slated to hit retail outlets the end of this summer (GM dealers were supposed to start getting it Feb 1st, but very few of them have it so far)

GM calls for a 500 mile oil change on the dry sump Corvettes but mine is the wet sump and they don't call for that early change but I'm glad I decided to do mine early, with the high amount of silicon (from new gaskets and assembly lube) and the little bit of fuel (I'm sure the engine got started and shut off cold a few times before it arrived at the dealer, and probably had a lot of idling too)

Iron is high, copper is high, but both of those will settle down once the engine breaks in.

Because the silicone leaches out of the seals used in the dry sump system, which degrades the anti-foaming additive of the oil.

Changed mine at 4k on the Honda and then again at 10k. Honda says to run full fledged but after talking to Dave at Redline he thought 5k was enough to get the moly break in additive they use broke in. Went to 0w20 Castrol Magnatec with the filter full of Lubegard Biotech. I guess after about 1500 miles its broken in.

One interesting thing I noticed with this UOA is that compared to other UOAs with M1 5w30, this one shows about double the moly and double the boron, but about half the magnesium.

Originally Posted By: Patman
One interesting thing I noticed with this UOA is that compared to other UOAs with M1 5w30, this one shows about double the moly and double the boron, but about half the magnesium.

I noticed the Moly also. Perhaps this is a special blend for the Vette for a break in oil.
21.gif

I was wondering about the moly too...

Silicon and wear metals aren't a concern at this point.

Why go for an ESP oil in this vehicle?? Full disclosure - I'm interested in doing the same in my 135i.

It's GM's new recommendation to go with the ESP formula of 0w40, it's a tweaked version of the existing 0w40 ESP from Europe.

I'm still glad I drained this oil early, it's a bit more contaminated than I thought it would be, and I don't like the fact that it's already a 5w20 thanks to the fuel dilution.

I now feel like one of the reasons that GM is recommending 0w40 for this engine is because they saw that the DI was causing more fuel dilution than they anticipated, and they don't want all of these engines out there being driven hard with 20 weight oil. With the new 0w40 having a starting viscosity of 12.9 cst at 100c, it could still drop down a couple of points and be equal to the starting viscosity of M1 5w30 (which is 11.0 cst at 100c)

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I changed the oil in my Ninja 1000 at 75 miles. Changed on wife's Elantra at 1000 miles. Like to get the abrasives out of there.

Last edited:
moly could be from some assembly stuff...but as per the TGMO fanaticism, nothing says that the M1 5W30 that's on your fil cap has anything to do with the M1 5W30 on Walmart's shelves.

With the new 0w40 having a starting viscosity of 12.9 cst at 100c, it could still drop down a couple of points and be equal to the starting viscosity of M1 5w30 (which is 11.0 cst at 100c)

HTHS s actually what keeps the bearings apart, so 3.5 to 3.0 is a BIG difference, more than 10%...and HTHS loss is about half the KV100 loss.

It's a big change.

acea c3 oil in a petrol car is not good. If the old Mobil 1 0w-40 was still around it would be recommended for the vettes. If you have fuel without ethanol in US then the 0w-40 esp will be ok.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
I would not be using a mid saps oil (Mobil1 ESP) with our fuel here in North America.

Why is that?

Originally Posted By: Bjornviken
If you have fuel without ethanol in US then the 0w-40 esp will be ok.

I have been filling up this car exclusively at either Shell or Costco and both of them have ethanol free premium.

Originally Posted By: Bjornviken
If you have fuel without ethanol in US then the 0w-40 esp will be ok.

I have been filling up this car exclusively at either Shell or Costco and both of them have ethanol free premium.

Yes, but not sulphur free. We do not have reliably sulphur free gas in North America yet like they have in the EU. Don't want sulphuric acid building up in your oil.

Last edited:
I put in Mobil 1 5w30 again and an AC Delco PF64 filter.
Funny how GM uses that identical PF64 on their small 1.5T engine. Not exactly a 'vette engine. (It pulls my '18 Equinox around just barely.)
Maybe use an oversize Fram Ul tra on that race machine you've got. A paper filter isn't good enough for a Corvette.

I think the gas available here in Canada might be lower in sulphur than they see in the US though:

https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-cli...r-gasoline.html

Also, I won't be doing super long OCIs with this car either, and I will definitely pay attention to the sulphur content in the oil.

CAN be lower, can still be up to 80 ppm.

Quote:

importers can elect to apply a pool average sulphur limit, in which case the pool average limit becomes 10 mg/kg, with a never-to-be-exceeded batch limit of 80 mg/kg.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back