Ck4 oil in 2015 powerstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if anyone has ran the new ck4 oil in the 6.7. I've been using motorcraft oil since Ford had claimed the new ck4 oil isn't recommended but I'm starting to think it's a Ford ploy. I've been running the new ck4 oil in our JD tractors and the oil actually looks cleaner after a change. Haven't had any problems on older equipment just noticed one of the tractors seems to burn just a little more than it did with the cj4 oil. Also the oil being used is bulk delo XLE.

Ah, the age old question. I stocked up on CJ4, but I would run a CK4 oil that carries Ford spec...they do exist. Ford ploy? Perhaps...kind of annoying for sure.

As a Powerstroke owner (any model year) you have 1 of 3 choices:

1. Run any CJ-4 oil
2. Run any CK-4 oil that meets Ford specification WSS-M2C171-F1
3. Ignore Ford's recommendation and run whatever oil you wish

If warranty is a consideration, run WSS-M2C171-F1 spec oils, if not run whatever CK-4 works for you.
I've run 100's of Ford diesels and never had one fail due to oil film failure, its the other bolt on stuff that caused the grief.

So what do all these people do that have their oil changed by an oil change place? I bet they put ck4 oil in.

I can't wait for the huge lawsuit against Ford in a few years over this. I bet they're doing something illegal.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
So what do all these people do that have their oil changed by an oil change place? I bet they put ck4 oil in.

Never mind oil change places, I had a hard time having Ford dealers put the correct oil into the Ford Transit 3.2L diesel, viscosity on the work order was the tell.

Delo in a CJ-4 flavor is easy to find at Walmart or my basement.

Look at the latest Ford listing of approved oils. I think Rotella T6 5W40 is now on the list. But make sure the container you buy has the Ford spec listed.

The thing about motorcraft HD oil is their new jugs of oil say it has added phosphorus as the other ck4 oils don't have enough. The thing that got my suspicious is the Ford parts guy said I should buy their over priced filters and oil since the oil and filters at Walmart are lower quality hence the lower price. Pretty sure there would be lawsuits if Walmart was selling counterfeit motor oil and filters. Dealership=stealership

Originally Posted By: Weezybabydoll
The thing about motorcraft HD oil is their new jugs of oil say it has added phosphorus as the other ck4 oils don't have enough. The thing that got my suspicious is the Ford parts guy said I should buy their over priced filters and oil since the oil and filters at Walmart are lower quality hence the lower price. Pretty sure there would be lawsuits if Walmart was selling counterfeit motor oil and filters. Dealership=stealership
The Motorcraft filters are worth the price. The company "Powerstrokehelp" has encountered situations where the discount filter failed and thousands of dollars worth of damage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBq_1ogRul0

I have been using motorcraft filters but I've been saving a few bucks buying them at Walmart. Ford parts guy claimed Walmart motorcraft filters are ones that didn't quite meet Ford's specs so Walmart sells them cheaper. Pretty sure you would've heard about it somewhere if Walmart is selling junk filters.

Sounds like [censored] to me. I also buy my filters at Walmart or Amazon due to price. Would be shocked if that were true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back