Colt Canada (Diemaco)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently own AR-15 rifles from the following companies: Colt, (2), Bushmaster (5), LWRC (2), Rock River Arms, (1), and DPMS, (1). I can honestly say there really isn't that much difference in any of them from a shooting and operational standpoint. They all run and shoot fine. Today there is so much arguing on gun forums over brand loyalty, it has gotten to the point of complete ridiculousness.

I have never had any of my AR-15 rifles fail due to parts breakage. And even if any of them were to, I have plenty of spare bolts, bolt carrier groups, extractors, charging handles, firing pins, cam pins, retaining pins, etc., that any of them would be back up and running in minutes if anything should fail.

It has gotten to the point that for 99.99% of civilian shooters, worrying about brand loyalty when choosing an AR-15 rifle is all but a complete waste of time. Search for the best deal you can find, on the rifle you yourself like the most, judging by the features it has. Then buy it, shoot it, and enjoy it. And don't worry about it when someone tells you, "what you should have bought".

Originally Posted By: billt460
I currently own AR-15 rifles from the following companies: Colt, (2), Bushmaster (5), LWRC (2), Rock River Arms, (1), and DPMS, (1). I can honestly say there really isn't that much difference in any of them from a shooting and operational standpoint. They all run and shoot fine. Today there is so much arguing on gun forums over brand loyalty, it has gotten to the point of complete ridiculousness.

I have never had any of my AR-15 rifles fail due to parts breakage. And even if any of them were to, I have plenty of spare bolts, bolt carrier groups, extractors, charging handles, firing pins, cam pins, retaining pins, etc., that any of them would be back up and running in minutes if anything should fail.

It has gotten to the point that for 99.99% of civilian shooters, worrying about brand loyalty when choosing an AR-15 rifle is all but a complete waste of time. Search for the best deal you can find, on the rifle you yourself like the most, judging by the features it has. Then buy it, shoot it, and enjoy it. And don't worry about it when someone tells you, "what you should have bought".

I have to agree with you. But, there are a few extra items on the Diemaco rifle that the American made Colt AR doesn't have. That, and it's Canadian made. To me, as an AR collector, those added touches help. Oh, don't get me wrong now. I do shoot ALL of my AR's. And, I don't treat them like safe queens.
I made a comment to someone about how I buy certain parts for different reasons and they told me I shouldn't do that. I told him that if he wants to pay for my AR's then he can tell me how to do something his way. Until then, I will do as I WANT TO!

Originally Posted By: hatt
I'm not seeing anything special about those guns.

That's one good thing about living in the USA, being able to voice your opinion. HOOAH!
BTW, one thing that I see special about them is an ambidextrous safety.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
..... I made a comment to someone about how I buy certain parts for different reasons and they told me I shouldn't do that. I told him that if he wants to pay for my AR's then he can tell me how to do something his way. Until then, I will do as I WANT TO!

That is the proper attitude to have when AR-15 shopping. You wouldn't let others select your next new car. So why would you do the same with your next AR-15?

Glad you’re interested in something made in Canada. I believe they are a civilian version of the C-7 issued to the Canadian Armed Forces. Also, I believe Colt bought Diemaco in 2005.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: funkymonkey1111
What feature of this rifle makes it a holy grail acquisition for you (something made in Canada has no added appeal for me)?

On the contrary, I prefer firearms or firearms related products made in the States.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Glad you’re interested in something made in Canada. I believe they are a civilian version of the C-7 issued to the Canadian Armed Forces. Also, I believe Colt bought Diemaco in 2005.

I want a diemaco badly but up until this point they only had those goofy monolithic receiver variants for like $2000 CDN.

They are super expensive, but they have a certain mystique. It is strange that one of the coolest versions of a rifle so synonymous with the usa is made in canada. That's what you get for having all the good hockey teams, suckers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Colt Canada guns, when they are found in the states, are holy grail items. I'm talking $1000 for a lower, and perhaps $2000 for the rifle, or more.

Due to import laws, they were only ever sold to LEO agencies, with perhaps a handful falling through the cracks into civilian hands.

AND they are considered cream of the crop in quality by some. The Colt Canada barrels are hammer forged. The American Colt barrels are not hammer forged.

Colt America slaps stuff together with barely trained monkeys. Colt Canada has many more quality control processes and better fit and finish.

I'd love to have one in my collection, but I don't want to pay full retail for one.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Colt Canada guns, when they are found in the states, are holy grail items. I'm talking $1000 for a lower, and perhaps $2000 for the rifle, or more.

Due to import laws, they were only ever sold to LEO agencies, with perhaps a handful falling through the cracks into civilian hands.

AND they are considered cream of the crop in quality by some. The Colt Canada barrels are hammer forged. The American Colt barrels are not hammer forged.

Colt America slaps stuff together with barely trained monkeys. Colt Canada has many more quality control processes and better fit and finish.

I'd love to have one in my collection, but I don't want to pay full retail for one.

Thank you BT. At least there is someone else on this forum that knows a quality AR when they see one.
thumbsup2.gif

Thank you for the information BT. Now that you mention it, I do believe the the dealer did tell me it was police surplus when I bought it but I never thought anything about the “Canada “ part until I read this thread.

I'm not trying to start an argument, or rain on anyone's parade here. But I'm just not seeing the mechanical superiority of these weapons. Let alone enough of it to justify the cost. I get the part about limited availability, along with only being sold to law enforcement unless a very few "leak out" to the general public, and all of that. Rarity increases both price and desirability based on nothing else. And while that does increase the "wow factor" and desirability with some people, I just don't see how these guns are any better from a mechanical standpoint, than most other Colt's, or any other models from other manufacturers with the same features. At least enough to matter.

AR-15's are modular manufactured guns. Bins full of parts are required to fit into other bins full of parts. Like nuts on bolts. And because of that they have to be toleranced accordingly. There is no gunsmithing required to assemble one. Teenagers do it on their mothers kitchen table every day of the week. So it's not like an individual requires the gunsmithing skills of P.O. Ackley to build one. And have it run correctly and shoot well when you're finished. Any upper will fit any lower. Any bolt will fit into any bolt carrier. And any bolt carrier will fit into any AR-15. And all will run without hand fitting anything to anything.

And as far as quality of said parts, while they may or may not be better, it's doubtful that it will ever matter to 99.99% of AR-15 shooters out there, including most law enforcement. Because they simply aren't going to run enough rounds through the thing to matter. Think about it. How many of you actually know anyone outside military arsenals that actually "wore out" an AR-15 civilian or L.E. rifle?

With all of that said, guns are a personal possession. And if someone feels their life is going to be incomplete unless they have one, then by all means go out and get one. It's just that it would be a difficult task to convince anyone, that the overall quality is really that much more substantial, than any other out of the box Colt. Or any other comparable AR-15 for that matter.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I'm not trying to start an argument, or rain on anyone's parade here. But I'm just not seeing the mechanical superiority of these weapons. Let alone enough of it to justify the cost. I get the part about limited availability, along with only being sold to law enforcement unless a very few "leak out" to the general public, and all of that. Rarity increases both price and desirability based on nothing else. And while that does increase the "wow factor" and desirability with some people, I just don't see how these guns are any better from a mechanical standpoint, than most other Colt's, or any other models from other manufacturers with the same features. At least enough to matter.

AR-15's are modular manufactured guns. Bins full of parts are required to fit into other bins full of parts. Like nuts on bolts. And because of that they have to be toleranced accordingly. There is no gunsmithing required to assemble one. Teenagers do it on their mothers kitchen table every day of the week. So it's not like an individual requires the gunsmithing skills of P.O. Ackley to build one. And have it run correctly and shoot well when you're finished. Any upper will fit any lower. Any bolt will fit into any bolt carrier. And any bolt carrier will fit into any AR-15. And all will run without hand fitting anything to anything.

And as far as quality of said parts, while they may or may not be better, it's doubtful that it will ever matter to 99.99% of AR-15 shooters out there, including most law enforcement. Because they simply aren't going to run enough rounds through the thing to matter. Think about it. How many of you actually know anyone outside military arsenals that actually "wore out" an AR-15 civilian or L.E. rifle?

With all of that said, guns are a personal possession. And if someone feels their life is going to be incomplete unless they have one, then by all means go out and get one. It's just that it would be a difficult task to convince anyone, that the overall quality is really that much more substantial, than any other out of the box Colt. Or any other comparable AR-15 for that matter.

As a collector I think the Diemaco would be a great asset to my AR collection. Everyone looks at firearms as they choose to. I use some of mine as tools, others as just collectors. I own a NIB 5906 TSW (Non riveted) that has NEVER been fired, other than its factory fired rd. That's my safe queen. And, it's my prerogative to keep it that way! I take it out every now and then to FONDLE it. And, if I were to EVER own a Diemaco, it would be a safe queen as well. Again, that's my prerogative.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
And, if I were to EVER own a Diemaco, it would be a safe queen as well. Again, that's my prerogative.

In that case, I understand your wanting to make the purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back