Modern Sweat Shops: Gig Economy, e.g. Uber, Lyft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y_K

MIT VC Study correlates with the numbers in my area. No amount of talking out would work for my friends. For the equivalent initial capital outlay one could have a choice of "buy yourself a job" businesses.

Doesn't the retailer "Forever 21" use sweat shops? The good news here is they can't complain about no air-conditioning but our workers can??

Last edited:
I think that the gig economy was largely a child of the last recession, where for a number of years we had too many people chasing jobs in what was an employer's market.
Today, there are lots of wage-paying jobs available at all skill levels, so there is less need for people to accept the meager returns that can be earned in most gig arrangements.
OTOH, there are those who have skills who look to short-term temping either to supplement their current income or for the flexibility that it offers.
Some of these gig opportunities seem like a joke in which the individual takes on all the costs and risks while the controlling company reaps much of the revenue.
I wonder how long the average participant stays active with Uber, Lyft or Shipt?

I'd rather work at a supermarket than drive for Uber or Lyft. If people are willing to drive for peanuts and take on all the risks, that's their decision. Uber and Lyft manipulates their contract 1099 drivers like puppets on a string. Way too many drivers for the amount of rides needed.

With a currently strong economy, why work a [censored] gig type job when you can pursue a well paying career with great benefits ?

Off Topic:
I sometimes post jobs here on BITOG.

We're on the same page.
What'll happen when some of these firms have churned through all of the prospective gigers?
I suppose it doesn't much matter since they'll have made their pile by then.

It works for some people.

If you work part time, and need to drive a few hours a week, I don't know of a job that will let you start and stop as you please, and set your own hours.

I rode all over Vegas on Lyft a few months back. Every one of the drivers had a nice car, some were high dollar v8 mercedes, Lexus, etc.

They either are doing something right, or they are living above their means to keep luxury items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back