gas monkey / duel ghia

Status
Not open for further replies.
how in heavens name was the gas monkey allowed to have a duel ghia? much less be in the same room? [censored] must have frozen over.

Originally Posted By: red7404
how in heavens name was the gas monkey allowed to have a duel ghia? much less be in the same room? [censored] must have frozen over.

Please explain what you are talking about.

I think he's talking about one of these:

oi4xg8.jpg

i just saw the guy from gas monkey garage sell a duel ghia. a duel ghia is an extremely RARE chrysler show car. i hate to see a butcher like Richard even be in the same room as one much less own one. OH did i BUTCHER YES I DID.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I think he's talking about one of these:

oi4xg8.jpg

Ah. Thank you.

A Dual Ghia.

It's called having lots of money and connections.
grin2.gif

i just saw the guy from gas monkey garage sell a duel ghia. a duel ghia is an extremely RARE chrysler show car. i hate to see a butcher like Richard even be in the same room as one much less own one. OH did i BUTCHER YES I DID.

The guy makes his money flipping cars.

Everything else is just marketing/fun.

If I remember Correctly, it was Dual Ghia #1. and Richard and Dennis stumbled upon it while looking at another car. Richard put up a Chunk of the Money, but Dennis paid the bulk, and had the car in HIS collection.

Did you miss the part of the show where he (and his millionaire buddies) buy cars, and flip them at auction, often times for huge profits?

His shop can build some good stuff. And he knows how to find a good deal. Cant blame the guy.

" The guy makes his money flipping cars." he makes money by butchering cars. once he had a 1960 dodge pu. what did he do? he cut the front part of the frame off. put a chevy front on. with a big block chevy. BUT when took it to test he didnt put a posi in rear. ONE black line. the man IS a butcher. and from what i have seen in last 2-3 weeks he doesnt even DO the work.

Great entertainment IMO.
Plenty of buyers with money.

And infinitely better than having an "100% original" pile of red dirt with a chrome bumper at each end of it.

Perhaps the Dual Ghia dealership network wasn't sufficiently established in the '50's.

The final scene of Dr. Zhivago called, it wants its car back! (the front end at least)

Richard and (now left) Aaron are not my favorites, but they manage to build a cool one once in a while. (I actually liked Tom) I’m not sure why you are outraged Richard doesn’t actually build them, I’ve never heard him claim to.

All the stuff that makes good TV I really don’t care for. Most TV cars are too radical for me, but it takes all kinds to make the world go round and if it works for him so be it.

That's a cool car. Love him or hate him he's making money, and the Discovery Channel is keeping the show, so it must be doing OK for them too. His work, not so good imo. There are a lot of better car builders on the boob tube, just flip the channel, but he has something and it's making him a lot of money. Now Mark Worman and crew on Grave Yard Cars turn out some real nice work. That's just one of a few.

Richard is 1.) smart, and 2.) very well connected, and 3.) on the hunt - all the time.

He does what he does which is to flip cars. But he does restorations too. Remember his Packard at Pebble Beach?

He's flipped at least as many as he has had his shop build. He's a literal wheeler dealer. Ferrari's, Packard's, vans, buses, trucks, it makes no difference as long as he thinks he can make a profit. Most times he does.

Remember the barn full of Camaro's ... Made something like $100,000 and never really touched a car, no even a wash ...

Do I want a Gas Monkey car - no. Is there a market - yes. Did he see that market and exploit it - yes
laugh.gif

And, as with many flash & cash guys, he knows a thing or two about Caddy's
smile.gif

But, mostly he knows (or senses) a market opportunity ... Different business, but much like a hedge fund manager - you do what works ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back