How Special is Tuff Torq 187Q0899000 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna change the Transmission Fluid in my K61 and K62 transmissions. I have some Amsoil 20w-50 but TT has their own brand of
transmission fluid and it is a 5w-50. I only mow grass and always above 50 Degrees F. The TT rep said their fluid was the best I could buy for the TT transmissions.

Your feelings?

I have used both Castrol and mobil 1 5w-50 oil. It's a little hard to find at times. Prefer to stick with what they recommend.I'm sure someone on this site can give you the correct answer.

Its $28.50 for 3 liters from TT but it's $24 shipping....

Jeepman3071,

I tend to agree with you. I am just wondering if they have some magical elixir in their fluid?????

The TT oil is most likely fine. I ran the factory fill for 10 years. I’ve changed the oil in my 20 year old K61 one time and used Mobil1 15w50. It’s due another change and I’ll use the Mobil1 again.

I just went through a tough torque last year. The info I got from the tutorial the guy put up was pretty thorough. He stated that the OEM factory fill wasn’t even synthetic. His info stated that the Mobile 1 was far superior to what OEM used. Sorry I don’t have the references to that tuftorque tutorial but if you look it’s out there and very detailed. I’m pretty sure I used the synth 15W50 as well.

Last edited:
I used Motomaster synthetic (rebadged Shell) 5w50 in my K46. I put over a season on the new oil and it runs great. I could have waited for a sale but I didn't bother so I paid close to 50$ tax in for 5 litres. I have plenty left for a few more changes.

Find something cheap!

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
The 20w50 should be fine for that.

Yes, I have always used Super Tech 20w-50 in lawn tractor transaxles

Originally Posted By: Gebo
Jeepman3071,

I tend to agree with you. I am just wondering if they have some magical elixir in their fluid?????

There isn't anything special in their fluid. I usually use 15w50 synthetic (M1 or Castrol) when I change them. Tuff Torque rep said that these are much better choices than the original factory fill which is a 10w30 and breaks down. Tuff Torque now recommends a 5w50 or 15w50. When I changed the factory fluid in my K66 in the Deere it was pretty bad. If only used in warm temps the 20w50 should be fine.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: Gebo
Jeepman3071,

There isn't anything special in their fluid. I usually use 15w50 synthetic (M1 or Castrol) when I change them. Tuff Torque rep said that these are much better choices than the original factory fill which is a 10w30 and breaks down. Tuff Torque now recommends a 5w50 or 15w50. When I changed the factory fluid in my K66 in the Deere it was pretty bad. If only used in warm temps the 20w50 should be fine.

What I'm asking about is their own synthetic 5W-50. The specific part number I mentioned. I am wondering if they have formulated their synthetic 5W-50 specifically for their TT transmissions and would it be better than Mobil, Amsoil, etc.?

TT likely recommends their 5w50 because of it's cold flow capabilities. I too wouldn't bother with if it's very expensive or hard to get.

I changed my transmission oil in the K46 in my L110 last year. Since the info I found said TT recommended the 5w-50, I got some Castrol 5W-50 synthetic at Advance. It was about $10 per quart. Walmart had the Mobil 15W-50, but I felt I needed to follow what TT said. Since I live in the south, if there is a next time, I would probably just go with the Mobil 15W-50 from Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back