For those in doubt what viscosity OK to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been searching for what type oil is recommended for my dad's camry back in Russia. I was surprised to see huge selection of oil viscosities allowed. Then I looked at US version of the same model year (same engine, same everything) - surprise surprise - 0w20 only!!! Another proof of "very tight engine tolerances built for US market" lol

typical government [censored]!! manufacturers are looking for that !/4 to 1/2 mpg regardless if your engine does NOT live as long!!!

All this tells me is that this engine will run 300K miles on many viscosity. Just like it does in the U.S. on 0w20.

Originally Posted By: parshisa
Another proof of "very tight engine tolerances built for US market" lol

Exactly. Toyota engines destined for the U.S. market will have special tight clearances that thicker viscosity oils won't fit into -- or through.

ANother interesting fact is that Toyota Russia limits the OCI for severe service to 5000km (a little over 3k mi) which I think is a right thing. In moscow traffic by the time you get 5k on oil it very well might be 300+ hours on it.

lol.gif
... Yeah, Russia gets all the loose bearings coming off the production line.

I think the little known fact is that automakers earn money with CAFE credit trading provisions here in the USA.

In Australia for the Camry 2AR-FE, the suggestions from Valvoline are to use: 0W20, or 5W30 or 10W30, but they then go on to make the note
Quote:
May also use VALVOLINE PROFESSIONAL SERIES 15W-40, ENGINE ARMOUR SYNTHETIC TECHNOLOGY 15W-40, NEXTGEN 15W-40 or MAXLIFE 20W-50.

Since many small garages may only have one bulk tank of 15W40, which goes into everything here.

the Russian spec posted above looks to be from a by gone era with SL or SM API certs

Last edited:
All I know is 0w-20 isn't burning in my Honda. And the coup DE grais is I live in a tropical climate 8 out of 12 months.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
All this tells me is that this engine will run 300K miles on many viscosity. Just like it does in the U.S. on 0w20.

Correct. If anything, that chart shows it doesn't matter.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I think the little known fact is that automakers earn money with CAFE credit trading provisions here in the USA.

Are you sure they earn money with CAFE credits? My understanding is that they avoid paying penalties from missing CAFE standards.

Whatever the details are, meeting CAFE standards by an automaker are money driven.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Whatever the details are, meeting CAFE standards by an automaker are money driven.

Actually they are driven by regulation first.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Actually they are driven by regulation first.

Yes, but an automaker doesn't have to meet the regulations if they would rather pay the fines. So in the end it's money driven for the automaker to meet the regulations.

Yeah, but a car maker doesn't have to meet the regulation ifvthey would rather pay the fines.

You think Toyota, GM, Ford, Chrysler, Honda, etc. will pay a ton of fines instead?

Money is secondary no matter how you look at it. If CAFE didn't exist then the fines wouldn't either, so the money is a result not the cause.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Yeah, but a car maker doesn't have to meet the regulation ifvthey would rather pay the fines.

You think Toyota, GM, Ford, Chrysler, Honda, etc. will pay a ton of fines instead?

No, that's why in the end it's money driven. The gov't isn't going to shut them down if they want to pay the fines for some reason instead.

In the end it still boils down to money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back