New-To-Me Cub Cadet CC550 - Maintenance Tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's imperative to clean the jets and galleries in the carb. A piece of fine flexible wire and compressed air is best for that.

That's a cheap Chinese spark plug. Suggest you buy a NGK, Champion, Bosch or Denso plug and trash that plug.

Don't sweat a bit of soot on the piston. It's nothing. Once the carb problems are straightened out and the engine is running well, the soot will burn off.

By the way, you'll find your maintenance work much easier if you get the mower up about 18" to 24" off of the floor. Much easier on the back and easier to see things.

Thanks for the input.

Plug: the replacement plug is LG.

Work height: I just moved, so I don’t have a good work space yet. Great recommendation, though.

Old carb: I douched the jet and galleries with a bunch of carb cleaner. I have a brush cleaner kit, but everything in the carb was pretty spotless. I hope I don’t regret that decision.

I just dumped the oil and added some Rotella T5. I plan to add some gas and start’er up tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Originally Posted By: DNVDMAX
I think the oversized exhaust gasket doubles as a heat shield.

I realized after I posted that originally that it was indeed the correct part. I think you're right.

LG? Is that another Chinese brand?

Can't say I've heard of LG plugs before. LG TVs & appliances - yes. Spark plugs, never.

Are they any good?

I’m not sure who makes it. I searched for the MTD part number on Amazon and found this.

“MTD 951-10292 Spark Plug”

The new plug shows the same style as the old plug. The only other marking is “LG”. I doubt it’s actuallly made by LG electronics, though (does LG even make spark plugs?)

It was $5.93, shipped.

Well, the mower is all put back together. I added some B12 and fresh gas and she fired up on the second pull (the carb and gas lines were previous drained.)

Unfortunately, she only runs well on choke. Previously, the mower would stall immediately off-choke. Now it lopes badly. I attempted to open up the idle-adjust screw, but it had no effect, even after a full turn counter-clockwise.

Seems to start right up but definitely starving for fuel. I hate to say it but usually in this case I just replace the carbs. They are so cheap for a new one for these Chinese engines. Often what happens is the ethanol in the fuel leaves varnish inside the carburetor jets and tiny orifices. The varnish essentially makes the opening smaller, preventing the correct amount of fuel from getting in. Short of an ultrasonic cleaner, they can be really hard to get totally clean again. I've cleaned carbs 2 or 3 times only to have the same result you did. Replacing them usually fixed it.

I did order a new carb; however, it was the wrong one. I'm working with partstree to figure out how that happened. If all goes well, I'll have a replacement carb before mowing season starts. If not, then I need to figure out how to make this carb work.

I'm going to take the advice of others and soak the old carb for a night or two and then use some brushes to clean any unseen residue from the orifices/jets. We'll see how that goes.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I’m not sure who makes it. I searched for the MTD part number on Amazon and found this.

The new plug shows the same style as the old plug. The only other marking is “LG”. I doubt it’s actuallly made by LG electronics, though (does LG even make spark plugs?)

It was $5.93, shipped.

Most likely that's a Chinese Torch plug that was used initially in the engine. You can get a NGK or even a Champion plug for a heck of a lot less and have a better plug. My Troy-Bilt snow blower(MTD), 2 years in service had the carb clog up, even running it dry after the snow season. I tried cleaning it but it was easier to order an inexpensive replacement off EBay. It works perfectly!

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey

It was $5.93, shipped.

Most likely that's a Chinese Torch plug that was used initially in the engine. You can get a NGK or even a Champion plug for a heck of a lot less and have a better plug. My Troy-Bilt snow blower(MTD), 2 years in service had the carb clog up, even running it dry after the snow season. I tried cleaning it but it was easier to order an inexpensive replacement off EBay. It works perfectly!

Whimsey

Darn. Ya live and ya learn, I guess. I'm new to OPE - just moved from a condo to a real house, with a yard!

Those engines are pretty easy to work on. They're clones of the Honda GXV series developed in the 1980s. The Predator 5.5 HP engine is the exact same as the 173cc one you have on there. The Honda carbs work for those, the Chinese ones on eBay are like $15 bucks. My experience is to rebuild the one on there. Every Chinese Honda carb I've bought has leaked. Maybe I'm unlucky.
Look for an NGK BPR5ES plug to replace the LG one you have. The air filter is the same that you find for the newer Honda GCV mowers.

Thanks. I'll replace the LG plug when it needs it.

Do people really change out the plugs, fuel filter and air filter yearly?

NOPE!

Anyone who knows anything about engines doesn't. They get changed when they stop working. Keep the parts handy but use them when necessary.

Originally Posted By: boraticus

NOPE!

Anyone who knows anything about engines doesn't. They get changed when they stop working. Keep the parts handy but use them when necessary.

Good, that was my plan...even if you said you personally do it every year!
13.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back