NGK Iridium IX vs Laser Iridium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Visiting the NGK site left me confused. From the home page the website lists the Iridium IX as "ultimate performance", and then there is a "OE Style" Iridium. I'm used to seeing "Laser Iridium" on parts lists everywhere. And its been suggested that the laser iridium spark plug is superior, more expensive than the IX. Now i'm not sure. Can someone tell me why I would want one over the other.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/spark-plugs

Trav is right about the single vs double precious metals. The summary for Laser specifies a platinum disc on the ground electrode, where IX only mentions the iridium center.

Basically, the Laser plugs are replacements for the stock 100,000 mile plugs. IX is a cheaper alternative that won't last as long.

I think the OEM plugs in my 2001 Silverado were NGK Laser platinums. When I first started researching replacements, it seems like the IX line gave a 30,000 mile recommendation. I've always looked at them as a step up for vehicles that came with standard plugs.

Laser has iridium center electrode with small platinum disc welded to the ground electrode. A Mazda TSB from 2012 indicates that this type of plug is required for Skyactiv engines even though NGK's site offers more that one type for those engines.

another difference that hasn't been mentioned.. The Laser Iridium plugs have a wider center electrode, whereas the IX has a more narrow one.

I think that's why the Laser Iridiums last longer as well as the double precious metals, iridium on center electrode, platinum on side electrode.

I've had friend who bought the IX and worked well, but it's longevity AND performance that I look for.

Originally Posted By: researcher
another difference that hasn't been mentioned.. The Laser Iridium plugs have a wider center electrode, whereas the IX has a more narrow one.

I think that's why the Laser Iridiums last longer as well as the double precious metals, iridium on center electrode, platinum on side electrode.

I've had friend who bought the IX and worked well, but it's longevity AND performance that I look for.

Thats why I posted this. The NGK website suggests that the Iridium IX is the performance plug, not the OE style ( which I assume is Laser Iridium because there is no mention of it by the name we know)

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

Thats why I posted this. The NGK website suggests that the Iridium IX is the performance plug, not the OE style ( which I assume is Laser Iridium because there is no mention of it by the name we know)

Yeah didn't mean to get too off the topic with my post. But you're right, it would be confusing that NGK is claiming the IX is the "performance plug" when the OE is far from boring, it actually has more performance to it since it lasts longer. And yes the Laser Iridium is what is the OE/Stock plug when it calls for an Iridium plug. Personally I think the Laser Iridium is the best they make, not just listening to their marketing.

They seem to claim, (just as Denso does as well) that the narrower center electrode lends itself to a "quicker response" and a more 'precise' spark and resultant flame front/propagation, but yes, at the cost of longevity.

I don't know enough about current flow, or combustion dynamics to be able to tell whether or not this has any credence at all.
Any electrical/power train engineers on here able to lend their knowledge?

As it is, this engine consumes plugs at a rapid enough rate on even the factory tune (I plan on changing them out @ 15-20K mile intervals), so I will stick to the thicker center electrode Lasers.
wink.gif

(Some owners with tuned, big turbo setups, and auxiliary port injection systems, change them out every 5K miles!!
crazy2.gif
)

my background is electrical engineering, seriously. And I don't see anything that the IX would be "faster/quicker" since both Laser and IX are already thin-wire electrodes, the IX being thinner. I just saw it as being cheaper since it didn't have both precious metals like the Laser does.

Originally Posted By: researcher
my background is electrical engineering, seriously. And I don't see anything that the IX would be "faster/quicker" since both Laser and IX are already thin-wire electrodes, the IX being thinner. I just saw it as being cheaper since it didn't have both precious metals like the Laser does.

That's what I thought.

Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

hey you're quite welcome! I just had to respond when you're asking for someone with an electrical engineering background, their opinion.. lol
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back