2018 traverse first dealer oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
2018 traverse went to the dealership this morning first free oil change.Took delivery on 10/29/17.Now has 3575 miles OLM was at 5%.The OLM kicks off really quick compared to my 2007 G6.Also the dealership does not rotate the tires for free anymore.

You went through a Horrendously Cold January - and it may "KNOW" that it is wearing and and beating the oil up. I bet youll go well over 5K next oci.

What the driving habit? Short Trips? That not many miles at all.

Oh, what did you get fro oil?

My dealer "accidentallY' changed my oil ( during a trans drain and fill) by dumping out some not nearly done QSUD for some terrible junk. It may have been the wrong grade (0w20) since the Rogue would not rev over 2500 without EXTREME protest, but it has ton-o-torque from 1000-2000. I could only stand that slime for a week and dumped it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

My dealer "accidentallY' changed my oil ( during a trans drain and fill) by dumping out some not nearly done QSUD for some terrible junk. It may have been the wrong grade (0w20) since the Rogue would not rev over 2500 without EXTREME protest, but it has ton-o-torque from 1000-2000. I could only stand that slime for a week and dumped it.

Seriously, that makes no sense. You're using 10W-30 and you suspect they put in 0W-20 and now you can't rev over 2500 rpm
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
. If they put in 20W-70 your assertion might be a bit more plausible but it doesn't make any sense as you stated.

Whimsey

How is your dealer?

We're looking at a Yukon/Tahoe but I'm used to being treated well by dealers. Loaners, freebies, etc...

I was told not to expect this from GMC/Chevy.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
How is your dealer?

We're looking at a Yukon/Tahoe but I'm used to being treated well by dealers. Loaners, freebies, etc...

I was told not to expect this from GMC/Chevy.

I think it's a good question but I think this also varies so much from one dealer to another that his answer is pointless. For example, I've heard that Ford dealers SUCK. But when my used Escape had to go in for a few hours for something right after I bought it (they had promised me a second key for free, but the mobile key guy didn't come at a set time) they gave me a sweet loaner for the few hours. Service was great. Now, it's not all sunshines and rainbows, my "fully serviced and inspected" vehicle needed a transmission fluid change and they didn't put in any washer fluid, but whatever, it cost me less than $100 to do the trans fluid myself and washer fluid is $2.

I had my 2018 Chevrolet Equinox in for it's first of two free maintenance provided by GM up to 24000 miles or 24 months I believe.. I had right around 6500 miles on the 1.5 engine and 8% remaining on the OLM.

The Chevrolet service DID include a free tire rotation and is actually specified in the service requirements. Don't know why your dealer did not include a free tire rotation. I think you may have to have 5000 miles or more in order to have them done free?

GM does provide the free rotations so go back when it calls for them to be done.

Originally Posted By: ls973800
I had my 2018 Chevrolet Equinox in for it's first

I know the 2018 Equinox is very slow to drain oil. Owner's Manual says it takes 2 hours. They are right, as I changed my oil, and put in less oil than capacity, and it still over-filled by about a half quart or so. So when I take it in to the dealer later, I'll show them the Owners Manual and ask they not put too much in, since there is no way they will drain for 2 hours in their quick-lube setup.
The '18 Traverse may not have the same problem. Its the Equinox's 1.5T engine that does it for sure. I think the 2.0T does as well.
Wonder if they over-filled both those at the dealership.....

This is from the 2018 Owner's Manual:

I think the 2 hours is for checking the oil.

If a low oil Driver Information Center
(DIC) message displays, check the
oil level. If the oil is not low and the
low oil message remains on, take
the vehicle to your dealer for
service.
Follow these guidelines:
. To get an accurate reading, park
the vehicle on level ground.
Check the engine oil level after
the engine has been off for at
least two hours. Checking the
engine oil level on steep grades
or too soon after engine shutoff
can result in incorrect readings.
Accuracy improves when
checking a cold engine prior to
starting. Remove the dipstick
and check the level.
If unable to wait two hours, the
engine must be off for at least
15 minutes if the engine is
warm, or at least 30 minutes if
the engine is not warm. Pull out
the dipstick, wipe it with a clean
paper towel or cloth, then push it
back in all the way. Remove it
again, keeping the tip down, and
check the level.

This is the unbelievable post of the day.........
cry.gif

Originally Posted By: CKN

This is the unbelievable post of the day.........
cry.gif

I am inclined to agree.

we all gotta learn!! when changing oil its always after a longer drive, hot oil drains quick + contaminants are suspended in it!! although i let it drip a while, jacked up on the side for optimal drainage!!

Service writer told me not worth rotating the tires since so low miles will do it on next oil change.Last traverse I had the battery was dead in my driveway. I called gm they sent a tow truck to jump it but didn't work. Towed it to the dealership and gave me a nice loaner for the weekend and new battery for the traverse.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Brand new vehicle and going straight to 10,000 mile oil changes. What a shame.

I went 5800 miles however the MMS wanted it out around 4000 miles. What if he did all highway miles?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike
What if he did all highway miles?

Still a shame UNLESS the oil manages to stay clean after all those miles. I don't see how.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Brand new vehicle and going straight to 10,000 mile oil changes. What a shame.

You mean like most new cars sold?

I don't get the obsession with over-maintaining a new car; most people truly don't keep a car past 3 years. Are you treating it so well for the next guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back