Hyundai - Kia warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can these two give 5 year 60,000 mile bumper to bumper and 10 year 100,000 power train warranty?
Most everybody else is 3 year 36,000 and 5 year 60,000?

Are they really that good or sales gimmick?
I am sort of interested in the small suv's from each.

I do not know, but they do it,,,buddy of mine was at 95000miles on his 8yr old car and the transmission died and they put in a new one and no charge to him,,,was a great deal...

Originally Posted By: bradepb

Nothing to do with being "good" per se. They just assume that statistically X% of cars will have issues, and factor the cost of having to repair them into the price of the vehicle.

They are also pretty strict about maintenance records needed to honor the warranty.

A quick search reveals many, many complaints about the KIA/ hyundai warranty on "consumer affairs website. Many instances of where they find a way to "weasel out" of honoring that warranty or low ball a claim, refuse to pay for car rental, etc. More of a gimmick, but probably no worse or better than any other automaker warranty. They all want to weasel out of paying when they can.

They have the warranty as they had issues before so its to help people not worry. Other companies have had to extend their warranty due to them.

Biggest thing is to do your oil changes on time and save receipts for them. If you do that and follow the rest of upkeep they usually handle claims fine. Many buy the cheapest Kia and treat it like a throw away car and get upset when their warranty claim is denied for doing 15k+ on oil changes.

I have never had any warranty issues with the 3 Kias/Hyundais I've owned. But, I do keep records and all receipts.

Keep in mind, these cars are reliable. Especially Kias. So, I've never needed to get more than a couple of things fixed.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Nothing to do with being "good" per se. They just assume that statistically X% of cars will have issues, and factor the cost of having to repair them into the price of the vehicle.

They are also pretty strict about maintenance records needed to honor the warranty.

...and use of branded fluids (eq. testing ATF)

How can these two give 5 year 60,000 mile bumper to bumper and 10 year 100,000 power train warranty?
Most everybody else is 3 year 36,000 and 5 year 60,000?

I am sort of interested in the small suv's from each.

Because their cars were so bad that their sales were declining. So they had to increase the warranty to get over their bad reputation. They seem like they're better now but they still seem to have weird problems that no one else seems to have. But that's probably true about other automakers too.

May I suggest instead posting the models you are interested on?

Some BITOG members may have already experience with them (ownership or working on them)

also hyundaiforums is a good resource for research.

What is your local dealership availability?

A friend of mine had her optima engine go when the car had 98k. It was one of those that had the warranty extended due to bad manufacture. Her son had done some of the changes and they had no receipts for those. They finally got it covered but not without a hassle. The dealer hated them for appealing to corporate. My wife likes the Sorento but we decided on a Highlander. Hyundai and Kia have had high mileage issues on a large number of motors. Even with a long warranty a motor that fails at 125k makes the car essentially worthless.

Thats true to thr primary degree that since they are cheaper they have to counter the perception and myth that specifically korean cars are low quality.
It maybe up to debate through if they really were that bad to begin with, all the other midtier quality brands equally give you the runaround.

It is #1 myth here.
http://www.jdpower.com/cars/articles/automotion-blog/5-car-quality-myths-busted

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pandus13

Some BITOG members may have already experience with them (ownership or working on them)

The warranty is what caught my eye but I am in the market for a small SUV, tucson,santa fe or sportage, sonata by these makers as opposed to something like a Ford Escape. Then again I am not sure if I want to be disowned by family members for buying a "foreign" car, I do live in Detroit after all. I am leaning heavily towards the Escape, I have a 2004 now.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
Thats true to thr primary degree that since they are cheaper they have to counter the perception and myth that specifically korean cars are low quality.
It maybe up to debate through if they really were that bad to begin with, all the other midtier quality brands equally give you the runaround.

It is #1 myth here.
http://www.jdpower.com/cars/articles/automotion-blog/5-car-quality-myths-busted

I'm not really sure that myth is busted. That's an initial quality survey, in the first 90 days of ownership that doesn't tell you if the engine is going to last 90K, 125K, or 200K. Historically they were of low quality which is why they had to offer that warranty.

Don't forget that many car companies sell extended warranties that do about the same thing and cover you from 100 to 125K. But of course, they're not free like the Hyundai/Kia one.

Bradepb:

Better get another Escape and get the bigger engine and BUY a powertrain warranty for 700 bucks.
An off lease 2.3L Turbo MKC is an option if you don't want to spend 35 grand.

I will neer pay over 23K for a pedestrian car. I think my Rogue was a blow out for 19995. I think I was 21K out the door.

Originally Posted By: pandus13

The warranty is what caught my eye but I am in the market for a small SUV, tucson,santa fe or sportage, sonata by these makers as opposed to something like a Ford Escape. Then again I am not sure if I want to be disowned by family members for buying a "foreign" car, I do live in Detroit after all. I am leaning heavily towards the Escape, I have a 2004 now.

family equal "are they going to pay your bill/note?"

Then maybe those family members could dig their connections/circle and get you a Ford employee/family discount?

also, a good look around what peoples are driving the most on the streets, could get you the producer with the most available local infrastructure/dealers or the most available deals/discounts?

All I know is the current Hyundai/KIA offerings are years ahead and about 2 generations evolution from the '04 base hyundai elantra i drove for 7 years(and 1 trans re-build at 78k from the 2-3 flare shift disregarded by my local dealer).
If I'm not mistaken, the KIA are the more "sporty" feeling offerings, but they do share some DNA/parts.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Bradepb:

Better get another Escape and get the bigger engine and BUY a powertrain warranty for 700 bucks.

I will neer pay over 23K for a pedestrian car. I think my Rogue was a blow out for 19995. I think I was 21K out the door.

That's what i am probably going to do, I have a coworker that I can get Ford employee pricing through and would buy an extended warranty. The 2018 Escape can be had for between 21-22,000 plus tax, warranty etc. with all the incentives plus employee discount.
MSRP is about 29-30k

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Bradepb:

That's what i am probably going to do, I have a coworker that I can get Ford employee pricing through and would buy an extended warranty. The 2018 Escape can be had for between 21-22,000 plus tax, warranty etc. with all the incentives plus employee discount.
MSRP is about 29-30k

All the above plus end of this month (End of quarter for local dealer sales....)

It is a very smart way to earn more profit..

Think about it..

In order to honor any warranty you must have all the services records done at the dealership, and given you are covered for a long time, it means you will be going there for a long time.

They figured this offsets paying for major repairs on a few vehicles.

Here in Mexico, KIA is offering 7 years/150,000 KM for warranty (more than any other automaker), all their customers will going to the dealership for at least 15 services/10,000 KM.

Originally Posted By: knoas
It is a very smart way to earn more profit..

Think about it..

In order to honor any warranty you must have all the services records done at the dealership, and given you are covered for a long time, it means you will be going there for a long time.

They figured this offsets paying for major repairs on a few vehicles.

Here in Mexico, KIA is offering 7 years/150,000 KM for warranty (more than any other automaker), all their customers will going to the dealership for at least 15 services/10,000 KM.

Yes in Mexico Kia can make you get the service done at the dealer because Mexico has substantially fewer consumer protection laws than the US. In the US magnuson moss warranty act allows the consumer to choose where they get their service done, and if the OEM requires that you get the service done at a certain place or use a specific fluid (like kia oil) they must provide it free of charge. The same thing goes for Recalls and TSB Mexico has no entity that tracks, collects or requires OEM's to fix known issues vs the NHTSA. For example the Tanaka Airbag recall.Mexico also does not have mandatory emissions warraties like the US 8 year 80,000 miles Federally mandated warranty. Basically in Mexico the New Vehicle warranty is left to the discretion of the Dealer and of course they are a RPITA to deal with. Oh and make sure you fully read your warranty since it applies ONLY to "Internally lubricated engine or transmission parts"

It's all about smart marketing.

Statistically, they know the average owner won't keep the vehicle past 3-4yrs and ~60K miles, where little to nothing goes wrong. The 10yr/100K mile warranty does not apply to subsequent owners unless it's immediate family (as far as I recall).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back