Copter in East River: Passenger's Bag Caused?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no. That's horrible. We fly our Eurocopter to the East river heliport regularly. It's not a safe route, as there are no "outs" and altitude/position restrictions limit safety. Flying low over the water is never a good idea in a single engine aircraft without floats.

Note: we have emergency floats and two engines.

Is the Fuel Cut-Off in that forward overhead panel? Tall bag maybe.
eurocopter-as350-squirrel-cabin.jpg

That’s the thing about aviation mishaps - the first report is usually wrong.

Stay off the bandwagon, and wait to find out what really happened.

I was on the Eastside of Manhattan having dinner with my daughter's went in to watch the big East tournament at Madison square garden. Restraunt was on the water overlooking the east river. Didn't see the helicopter go down but did watch the large police and fire department response.

Aside from the cause, I saw the video, which showed the helicopter land a little roughly, but not crash to badly into the river. Looks might have been deceiving though I suppose.

Was it the doors not opening or some other reason why only the pilot survived? While it was an impact of some degree it looks like they all should have been able to get out in time.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Was it the doors not opening or some other reason why only the pilot survived? While it was an impact of some degree it looks like they all should have been able to get out in time.
Something to do with the seat belt system that meant they couldn't get out of their harnesses. They had to be cut out, according to 1st-responders at an early press conference. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morn...tys-east-river/ “There’s no way those people could’ve gotten out of the helicopter. Not with the training they had. Not even me, and this is my third time … When you’re anchored at your shoulder blade, you can’t reach that.”

Flight Safety has a water emergency training setup. I've not participated, but I've watched. It's about impossible to get yourself out of a rolled over airplane or helicopter as it goes underwater. Even professional pilots often can't get out.

35a_dj2015_chilesdrowning_live.jpg

Last edited:
That is sad to hear.

One would think that the seat belts would be better designed. I mean if you hit the ground going 100mph it won't matter if you are wearing them or not. One would think that airplanes/helicopters aren't designed like automobiles with crumple zones etc.

They should design them so that if the aircraft has a softer landing the occupants would have easier ability to leave the craft. Hitting the water at low speeds should be the best crash scenario...unfortunately they might was well have hit going full speed.

Ostensibly the hard-to-escape strap-down harnesses are there because the copter doors are open in flight, and they want to prevent some nitwit from unbuckling themselves and tumbling out while airborne.
They would have had to design an impact activated quick-release at extra expense. It would have been smart to have that. Seems like common sense to let people out on a water landing.

After this is fully investigated, I'd be interested to see if they blame the pilot for NOT unhooking the people directly behind him.
Wow thats going to be something looming over this pilot for a looo-ooo-ong time.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
That’s the thing about aviation mishaps - the first report is usually wrong.

So true... I have a pile of pulled hair from being assaulted by inaccurate erroneous and bogus aviation reporting...

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Is the Fuel Cut-Off in that forward overhead panel? Tall bag maybe.
eurocopter-as350-squirrel-cabin.jpg

I'm not a hover lover but I think you're right... fuel cutoff is the red guarded lever next to the yellow handle rotor brake...

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop
I'm not a hover lover but I think you're right... fuel cutoff is the red guarded lever next to the yellow handle rotor brake...

That would make sense. I remember when a 737 pilot and an ATR 72-600 pilot hit the wrong engine's fuel cutoff which is always in the overhead panel. Out of the way.
Shrouded so a bag "can't" trip it, right? Very strange story so far. We'll see.

Wouldn’t the fuel cutoff be in an location where it wouldn’t get accidentally bumped into, like say center part of console or high up the overhead panel with a guard?

Originally Posted By: nthach
Wouldn’t the fuel cutoff be in an location where it wouldn’t get accidentally bumped into, like say center part of console or high up the overhead panel with a guard?
Check BusyLittleShop's post above. Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back