"Thinnest" 5W-20 Conventional Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. Just looking for a cheapo way to almost match the 0W-20 rating of my tC while using cheapo conventional oil since I want to do 5k OCIs.

What vehicle do you have?
year, engine, miles on vehicle, climate, driving style etc.
This will help you get started. This information is from the PQIA website and dates back to 2014 but it does have a good amount of 5W20 oil brands grouped together in Some are synthetic so, you'll want to overlook those in particular. The remaining are conventional(dino) oils. You can even click on one brand which will bring it up separately for a better view.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Feb2014/consolidated5w20ALL.html

Others will chime in for what else to look for in an oil beside how thin it is. Other important factors such as NOACK(volatility) and other additive packages which may be more important to you, your vehicle, your driving style etc.

Last edited:
A cheapo way of matching the 0w20 is to look out for a really good sale on 0w20. Seriously. With some of the sale finds people have posted on here lately you can often find synthetic for less than the regular price of conventional. Then just stock up like crazy.

Picking nits.

When my wife had a tC I used 10W-30 GTX every 3k miles. I didn't know any better, and the car didn't care.

I'd run Magnatec 0W-20, which is about $20 for 5 quarts.

Originally Posted By: RyanGreener
Hey everyone. Just looking for a cheapo way to almost match the 0W-20 rating of my tC while using cheapo conventional oil since I want to do 5k OCIs.

0W-20 isn't "thinner" than 5W-20. It's more pumpable at low temps. There's a difference, and it's important.

Also, if your tC requires 0W-20, that doesn't just mean viscosity grade; it also means a certain quality level that is very difficult for a non-synthetic 5W-20 to meet. 0W-20s as a class are just higher quality lubricants than non-synthetic 5W-20s. They have to be, or else they'd cook off too fast and work terribly.

By the same token, any conventional 5W-20 that approaches the cold pumpability of a 0W will be either so thin that it's terrible, or so close to a 0W-20 that it's not cheap. So if you want it to be cheap, you're going for terrible. Doesn't make sense for an engine that specs 0W-20, especially given how cheaply you can get a decent API-certified 0W-20 these days.

5w20 conventional at 5k OCIs should be just fine but as Patman said, there's sales that come up every now and then where you can get Synthetic oil for cheaper then conventional. So why use regular when you can use Synthetic for the same price???

When you see a sale, stock up a few oil changes in advance.

Id put 5w30 in that tc. You don't want a 20 in a big 4 banger with small block v8 bore and big block stroke.

You want a good oil not just match a winter grade.

Valvoline 0w20 is very good of all the ow20 I tried.

5-6k on gasohol is about as far as you want to go on a "fake synthetic" where I live.

Remember most American synthetic are NOT REAL SYNTHETIC OIL.

Last edited:
Okay, Arco. Tell us what is a "real Synthetic". You know Decene is sometimes made from cracked petroleum, right?

RyanGreener: It seems like cost is a big issue. If you plan to do your own oil change and tire rotation (very important to max life out of your tires), use Walmart SuperTech 0w-20. Use 7500 mile OCI and include tire rotation. Tires will cost most than the oil changes.

Ryan, Ryan ryan, my ryan...Let's see if this fancys our insatiable appetite for fan-freak-tastic oil. I got 19 quart bottles and 4 jugs worth of clearance oil and not just any oil, mind you my ryan, this is the OEM choice for Honda of Canada (still yet) and former OEM for Honda. And still the undisputed OEM for everyone else and by everyone else I mean the likes of Mazda, Subaru, Nissan etc. The quarts bottles were .85 cents each and the jugs 1.55 each. This is 0w-20 oil Ryan Greener...ryanryanryan, we have a lot to learn but just you wait until next christmas and santa can bring you the win of your life for 10s of thousands of miles of love for your car!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Use the supertech 0w20, nothing will be cheaper unless you get a clearance score

The Harvest King synthetic at Rural King is $6 less for the 5 qt jug than the ST.

Originally Posted By: RyanGreener

SIGH ....

Just buy ANY 5W20 oil that you desire. Your car wont know the difference.

I routinely run 5W20, 5W30, and 10W30 in cars that call for 0W20.

Originally Posted By: farrarfan1
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Use the supertech 0w20, nothing will be cheaper unless you get a clearance score

The Harvest King synthetic at Rural King is $6 less for the 5 qt jug than the ST.

And he is going to drive 300 miles to the nearest Rural King to save $10 on oil. That store is pretty regional. Not many (any?) of those in NJ.

I've seen one of those stores in Florida, and it was in the middle of nowhere. Stumbled upon it by accident. Couldnt find it again if I tried (without looking it up)

Many interesting responses guys. I'll just answer a few of them

1) The car is a 2007 Scion tC
2) I do not live near Rural King
3) Cost isn't that big of a factor, but who doesn't mind saving on consumables?
4) Not really that picky with oil. I'll literally get the cheapest oil that will last 5k (which is all of them) so I'm fine with that. This just comes from statement 3 above.
5) Mixed highway/city driving, but more towards highway on the weekdays.

Anyways, thanks for the responses. Supertech 0W20 it is! Unless of course, there's some random clearance sales. I'll just keep an eye out.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
RyanGreener said:
I routinely run 5W20, 5W30, and 10W30 in cars that call for 0W20.

Such sacrilege is unnecessary. Not only are you missing out on the fantastic FE returns but this oil doesn't burn like those weights you mentioned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back