Driving misaligned vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am due for new tires with rear approaching wear bars and fronts a victim of broken tie rod for a few weeks.

I had tie rod replaced on my 2007 mdx this past week but shop did not have alignment machine. They stated I should get new tires soon due to wear and get alignment.

I may stretch replacement/alignment a few months($900). Any damage to vehicle driving on likely misaligned vehicle besides the tires?

In my opinion, NO!
Not since you're replacing the tires anyway. You may see the front tires wearing in certain spots on the tread due to being out of alignment and you may experience some pulling to one side or the other. But, if you can live with it, you'll be fine and I think other will agree however, it is not optimal!

Your vehicle might use more fuel if its out of alignment. It can also put more strain on the corresponding wheel bearings. Be very careful driving on wet surfaces with worn tires. Tires hydroplane at speed well before they are down to 2/32 or the wear bars.

On the other hand, the alignment will have an effect on the tires. You'll likely develop irregular wear, which results in noise and vibration - not to mention rapid wear.

Get the alignment BEFORE getting the tires (or shortly thereafter - as in a week.)

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Why would you wait to get an alignment. The tires have no effect on alignment.

I am assuming that the OP wants to do everything at once and not make two separate trips to the shop. 1 trip for the alignment now/1 trip for tires later. The money spent will be the same. Plus, the OP needs tires anyway. I understand.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Your vehicle might use more fuel if its out of alignment. It can also put more strain on the corresponding wheel bearings. Be very careful driving on wet surfaces with worn tires. Tires hydroplane at speed well before they are down to 2/32 or the wear bars.

^^^ OP, I know you are a more experienced driver than me, but experiencing slides with no control was no fun with my elantra (4/32) or my yaris (8/32) in snow.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
On the other hand, the alignment will have an effect on the tires. You'll likely develop irregular wear, which results in noise and vibration - not to mention rapid wear.

Get the alignment BEFORE getting the tires (or shortly thereafter - as in a week.)

I would get the new tires as soon as you can drop the cash . Then drive from there to a place that specializes in alignment .

MadR - Can you feel the alignment out - its usually VERY noticeable.

You can get the toe pretty close if you have a flat driveway with string. But seeing you went to a shop to get a tierod, I guess you'd not be inclined to do a shade tree alignment.

Wonder if anything else was damaged/bent?

I wouldn't do it. That's a lot of excess pressure you're putting on your suspension components. Like for example you're tie rod ends have to take the straight of keeping the wheels straight. Remember you have power steering, so the amount it's pulling is a lot harder than you think.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Just have a shop knock out a quick $50 toe-and-go alignment. It's probably all you need anyway.

your not going to find that for $50 anywhere near me!

I agree with M_O_M. you'll wear everything faster with something far out of alignment. You pay for it now, or you'll pay more to fix it later. Your choice, and safety, and conscience if an accident occurs because of loss of control.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Just have a shop knock out a quick $50 toe-and-go alignment. It's probably all you need anyway.

your not going to find that for $50 anywhere near me!

Around here its $100 for alignment but tire shop who quoted me $900 for tires discounted alignment to $50 if you buy/install tires.

I will do it.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

You can get the toe pretty close if you have a flat driveway with string. But seeing you went to a shop to get a tierod, I guess you'd not be inclined to do a shade tree alignment.

You may know the local mechanic(Scott Harlow) I am guessing he did a shade tree on it and put the sticker on it after some other work. He is extremely affordable and fair/honest to do that kind of repair for my work/life balance.

I only noticed the MDX drives a ton better with fixed tie rod, I was getting weird jerk driving at random times with apparently broken tie rod.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

You may know the local mechanic(Scott Harlow) I am guessing he did a shade tree on it and put the sticker on it after some other work. He is extremely affordable and fair/honest to do that kind of repair for my work/life balance.

I only noticed the MDX drives a ton better with fixed tie rod, I was getting weird jerk driving at random times with apparently broken tie rod.

Well, I doubt the tie rod was broken, if it was, the car would have come to a screeching halt immediately. Probably just the inner tie rod was a little loose.

It's not surprising that your alignment if off...roads in the Northeast are TERRIBLE despite some of the highest TAXES in the country....DISGRACEFUL.

Just check it with a tape measure. Say an 1/8" in on the front side will get you a few weeks for sure
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back