For you Subaru owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Toyota is pronounced different in Japan. I heard Hyundai is pronounced HyunDIE in South Korea?

More like a difference in emphasis. The thing that a lot of non-Asians don't get right when it comes to pronunciation is intonation. Most Asian languages are heavy on intonation and a native English speaker is used to a language that's not where every syllable's intonation matters or where there's a standard intonation based on the beat.

I think in Korean (I've worked with quite a few) it's more like Heyuun-DAY. The name is used right at the end of this commercial. A lot of Asian languages utilize really complicated single syllables.

That's how I say Subaru...
smile.gif

66 mpg... man that would be sweet. And that was when gas was a dime a gallon!

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
smile.gif

What about .85 cents a gallon?? Early 90s? We should be in depressed mode over this. distraught to say the least.

Last edited:
That's how we say Subaru here, they have been trying to make us pronounce it like the Australians, but resistance is strong. The long A is our colonial form, and the Maori language uses the long A too...so it's pretty hard to stop us doing it that way.

I find North Americans have a strange way they emphasise sylables, and when telling them how to pronouce a Maori word, they will repeat it back wrong, say it a again, and they respond the same way. Like trying to get an Asian to pronouce and English word, no matter how many times they try, they just can't get it right.

smile.gif

I got my drivers license in 1968 and regular gas was 24.9 per gallon. Esso 100 octane was 32.9 per gallon. My summer job paid me $1.60 per hour. Not really all that cheap considering my minimum wage summer job. Back then a married couple netting $100 each per week was considered middle class.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gman2304
smile.gif

I got my drivers license in 1968 and regular gas was 24.9 per gallon. Esso 100 octane was 32.9 per gallon. My summer job paid me $1.60 per hour. Not really all that cheap considering my minimum wage summer job. Back then a married couple netting $100 each per week was considered middle class.
now I am feeling old,,lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back