First O'Reilly Auto Parts in Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
I've really gotten tired of going to AZone and Advance Auto only to dicover only two attendants are working the 6 registers and both are assisting patrons with parts. Recently i visited a new O'Reilly store for the fist time and hallelujah!! Every register was manned (5) and one was strictly reserved for checkout. That makes a huge difference. Not to mention they carry WIX oil/air filters.

thumbsup2.gif
O'REILLY Auto

https://locations.oreillyauto.com/fl/miami/19870-se-127th-ave.html

One just opened up recently in my town as well. First one I've ever seen in the MA/RI area but recently I've spotted a couple more.

Went in a couple of weeks ago to grab a bottle of Purple Ice. First thing I noticed was how clean it was, second, how well staffed it was, thirdly, no customers in the store and lastly they carried a lot more brands of products than AZ and AAP.

I loved the fact they carry all Royal Purple products including their HPS and XPR line of oil which I have never seen anyone carry!

Originally Posted By: deven
One just opened up recently in my town as well. First one I've ever seen in the MA/RI area but recently I've spotted a couple more.

Went in a couple of weeks ago to grab a bottle of Purple Ice. First thing I noticed was how clean it was, second, how well staffed it was, thirdly, no customers in the store and lastly they carried a lot more brands of products than AZ and AAP.

I loved the fact they carry all Royal Purple products including their HPS and XPR line of oil which I have never seen anyone carry!

Yes, here too. The store was extremely clean (opened last Oct) and stocks more brands than the competition.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Not that far from my house, tig.
cheers3.gif

Good stuff.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
We have both but they are small stores … And a Napa and CQ Indy …
Each is a bit unique in product offerings … in small towns the staff does not turn over too much so some good experience

I have an O'Reilly, Autozone, NAPA, and a few other Mom and Pop parts stores within a few miles of me. And for my oil needs a Walmart right up the road.

I will say that the employees at my local O Reilly's are the best I have dealt with. Far better than Advance Auto parts. There are some good people at AAP. However, there are a lot more slackers and Champions at AAP in which to deal with.

I don’t think I’ve ever been to a parts store with more than 3 guys running the front desk. Lol.

3 is rare especially at Oreilly.

Maybe it was staffed heavy because its a new store,and they wanted a positive response from a customer like you got.Wait until the numbers show they don't need so many people and they decide to run it on a shoestring budget...then you will see what the others have to live with...less.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Maybe it was staffed heavy because its a new store,and they wanted a positive response from a customer like you got.Wait until the numbers show they don't need so many people and they decide to run it on a shoestring budget...then you will see what the others have to live with...less.

I was just going to say the new store is fully staffed and that will change.

A/O now I believe there are no O'Reilly AP in New Jersey.
I set foot in one in North Carolina just to se what oil they had.
I showed the employees where A3,B3 was on the bottle (M1 0W-40 EF) and what it meant (turbos).
That they listened impressed me. I am a "to the point" communicator".

I'm a big RockAuto user, but when I need a part immediately, my choice is O'Reilly over Autozone. (The two local NAPA stores are closed on Saturday afternoon and Sundays)
One rule I always follow is to research the part needed on their web page first and you must know what you need ahead of time. The counter help relies on their computer only and are otherwise clueless. The manager of the local O'Reilly's store is the only person in there who knows anything about cars and he doesn't work most Saturdays or Sundays.

The "Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh O'reilly auto parts Ohhhhhh" radio commercials make me not want to go there very much.

I'm glad the OP had an excellent experience at O'Reilly, but they are no different than comparing any other big box store experience, whether its auto parts, building supplies, clothing, or whatever. All have low wage employees, with an occasional gem. The store is only as good as it's manager(s). Each store brand has pros and cons concerning every aspect: service, parts/brands availability, parts quality, prices, etc..

In my mid Michigan town, Oreilly seems to have the highest prices and has the lowest amount of customers. I'm shocked they can even stay in business. I comparison shop between the stores and buy what suits me best (doesn't every frugal person do this?). Its rare to find any store where the employees are so great that you patronize it over other stores. That's the change we endure going from local mom & pop businesses (also can be iffy) to big box mentality. And now, mail order is taking over, with its pros and cons. All in the pursuit of lowest prices, regardless of quality.

These "Best store" and "best mail order" threads are always the same. Old man rant over.

Exactly. For the workers who work at those type box stores they are merely jobs that provide a minimum existence. They are not the type of job that one will ever be able to buy a home on. When they do get a good employee, with in a few months they leave for wal mart or Costco since it pays more. Most people are not working in big box retail because they want to and their lives are going well. Aside from maybe the district managers, no one is making over 2k per month and many of the part clerks are part time and probably have to have another dead end part time job to make it. These are not good solid career type jobs and that is why they have lots of turnover and employees who just do not care anymore and they tend to turn over mangers like pancakes as well. Not many small mom and pop type auto stores left any more. I go to a local "A street Auto parts" here in Lincoln , granted they are a bit higher sometimes a lot higher, but they know what they are doing and if they do not have the part they will get it. Gradually they are getting squeezed out by the O reilly, and Advance Auto who have so much more bulk buying power. Sadly, within a decade I do not expect many independent part stores to be around.

I prefer O'Reilly over other parts chains, perhaps my employment there gives me some bias. I've never heard of "one register reserved for checkout" - that is an interesting concept, but without enough staff even that would be a problem. I've been alone in the store for several hours at a time, which I can usually handle (it becomes an issue when the phone rings, or if people want help outside with wipers or battery testing or whatever,though). Even with two people, if one was looking up parts and one was just cashiering, when a single complicated parts lookup can take several minutes, I'm not sure how well it would work for other people that want parts - though it would be good for the people that just wanna buy car wash stuff.

As for staffing, y'all are right, parts store jobs aren't really a career, unless you're at least a store manager in the right store and the job is the right fit for you. Store manager at my location has been with the company for I think, 6 years, 9 years? I don't remember. Anyway, she likes her job, and it has done well for her - she just purchased a house with her husband (who is a mechanic at a local auto shop), and they have two nice cars. Assistant store manager or below, though, just a typical high-turnover low wage retail job. I'm not bashing O'Reilly - they treat their people well, the benefits are good for full-time employees compared to other retail jobs, but the pay is just too low to make a career of it.

I mean, I have a few coworkers that have been there for a long time, I think one of them even worked for Grand Auto (acquired by Kragen, which was then later acquired by O'Reilly)... and several others that are from the Kragen days. None of these people are particularly motivated or brilliant individuals. The Grand Auto guy hasn't turned a wrench in his life, "hates cars" and while he has one, he never drives it - he takes the bus, the taxi, or pays me to drive him home.

But we're always short on staff. Most people with interviews don't even show up or even call ahead to say nevermind I am not interested anymore or got a job somewhere else. How rude. And people are leaving all the time. Many part-time employees that have to fit their schedule around other jobs or school or family stuff.

All that said. If you have any interest in cars, get a part-time job at O'Reilly. At least around here literally every store needs employees, so just apply online, and if you pass the background check and drug test and you're not a totally bad person you'll probably be offered a position. The parts discount is very good and starts on your first day (though oil is still cheaper at Walmart) and if you do need to take your car to the shop you'll find a shop you deliver to that can give you a good deal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back