Vacuum pump for w116 300sd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a good vacuum pump to check for vacuum line leaks.
Just want a good quality hand help pump that will last.
I own a 1979 300sd Mercedes w116 with door lock and brake booster problems.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Mityvac is just fine for troubleshooting MB diesels.

Have you verified that the mechanical pump is working properly? Some failures can dump metal into your engine. Rebuild kits are available...are the vacuum valves and dash pots all correct? It's fairly straightforward to isolate subsections and troubleshoot.

Good luck!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Mityvac is just fine for troubleshooting MB diesels.

Have you verified that the mechanical pump is working properly? Some failures can dump metal into your engine. Rebuild kits are available...are the vacuum valves and dash pots all correct? It's fairly straightforward to isolate subsections and troubleshoot.

Good luck!

As for the door locks not working, I discovered a broken vacuum line (yellow with green stripe) broken off at the door hinge area (drivers side).
Even before this line cracked, I was having trouble with the passenger door lock closing all the way.

Would like to test my cars mechanical vacuum pump. Want to pick up a good hand held vacuum pump to test.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Might check for excessive blowby-my old one had issues building up enough vacuum to overcome crankcase pressure!

Will check for blow-by today. Are we talking about just removing the oil cap and checking for oil spilling or shooting out while the engine is running?

Originally Posted By: Gito
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Might check for excessive blowby-my old one had issues building up enough vacuum to overcome crankcase pressure!

Will check for blow-by today. Are we talking about just removing the oil cap and checking for oil spilling or shooting out while the engine is running?

That's a good start... When full hot, open the oil filler cap and see if it will just sit there (vibrating a bit of course), dancing, or being pushed clear off in an instant...

Have you done a compression test recently? Do PM on the GPs, ream and do a compression test at the same time... Its a worthy endeavour, IMO. But probably after a valve adjustment too!

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: Trav
I have this metal one from Mityvac, it does vac and pressure, great buy for $50.

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDispla...ASABEgL-hvD_BwE

if you dont need all those adapters

hf has a mityvac pump for about 30$ after coupon
https://www.harborfreight.com/mityvac-vacuum-pump-39522.html

The kit trav linked has quite a few more accessories but I'm not sure if those are needed for the additional $20

Look closer the adapter are just an added bonus, this unit is metal and can switch between pressure and vacuum the one from HF is plastic. It is definitely worth the extra $20, its a much higher quality and useful tool and rebuild parts are available.
Unless it is being bought as a disposable one time use tool the longevity alone of the metal unit may make it cheaper in the long run.

The metal one is definitely a good buy at $50 and more durable. I have owned one of the plastic ones for 7 or 8 years without a problem. It was all that I could find locally at the time, but I haven't found a reason to replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back