Kawasaki Versys 650

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at a Kawasaki Versys 650 lt . Wondering if any owners here and what their review might be. This is a brand new 2017 by the way the one that comes with hard bags.

There are several Versys riders here. They take them into Mexico for long treks. The bikes are simple, have a reliable engine that survives on lousy gasoline and abuse. They are not powerful but often will go as fast as needed in the rough going. I've ridden one out in the boondocks where I live and have not had any problems or felt that the bike lacked anything in the ability to get me around. They just don't have a fancy pedigree like say a BMW. I don't know if this helps your situation because all this is for dirt riding.

This would just be for road riding and highways. Maybe a 3 hour highway ride.I`ve never rode one or other brand that is in the same ball park. I currently ride a 2013 Yamaha Road Star and like it well. Just thinking of trying something different.

I sat on one and it was too small for me. I’m actually more comfortable on my 250cc XT250 for some reason. But I have really long legs.

I like the whole concept of the Versys and I think you would be fine doing trips much longer than 3 hours.
It's like a poor mans Beemer, IMO.

I have a 2016 650 Versys LT with 5500 miles on it. This is my 7th motorcycle, and it is my favorite of the bunch. The seat can get uncomfortable for longer rides, and there is a bit too much pressure on my hands from the forward riding position. The monoshock on the lightest pre-load is still to stiff for me (205 lbs). That being said, it's a blast to ride, and I love the twisties. Two thumbs uup!

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I sat on one and it was too small for me. I’m actually more comfortable on my 250cc XT250 for some reason. But I have really long legs.

The guy who bought mine is pretty tall. He lowered the pegs. I've heard of others doing that as well.

Originally Posted By: Gillsy
The monoshock on the lightest pre-load is still to stiff for me (205 lbs).

Preload doesn't do much for stiffness on a bike with a single-rate spring. Use it to set sag.

I doubt the spring rate is too stiff for you, though I guess it's possible. More likely it has a [censored] shock that doesn't respond well to bumps. I did an R1 shock swap on my 2nd Gen Versys. Not sure what you can do with a gen 3.

That was a fun bike, and I'm sure I'd like the new one.

I have a 2016 650 Versys LT with 5500 miles on it. This is my 7th motorcycle, and it is my favorite of the bunch. The seat can get uncomfortable for longer rides, and there is a bit too much pressure on my hands from the forward riding position. The monoshock on the lightest pre-load is still to stiff for me (205 lbs). That being said, it's a blast to ride, and I love the twisties. Two thumbs uup!

Thanks for the feedback. Most motorcycle's factory suspension is too light and not stiff enough so that is interesting about yours. A set of handlebar risers should bring your handlebars up and back enough to take the pressure off your hands and wrists. I have installed them on most of my previous bikes and they really help.

I currently ride a 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 and I like it but I almost never go off road. I am flirting with the possibility of trading my Super Tenere for the Versys 1000 as a lighter, sportier, more road oriented alternative.

Still thinking of getting the Versys if I had a buyer for my Road Star. The Versys at my local shop are new 2017s 1 black 1 titanium and are marked down over a grand.Here in Indiana riding season is pretty much over so selling my cycle isn`t likely. When the time comes if i could sell the cycle then those Versys will likely be sold out , so don`t know what will happen here.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Encourage you to step up to the Versys 1000. The 650 isn't going to have much torque.

For quite awhile my stable was a 2nd gen Versys 650 and a 1st gen FZ1. The FZ1 put more than double the power down on a dyno, but when I was deciding which bike to ride power and torque were pretty much never a factor. The Versys was the best ride all day, day after day bike I've had. Where it came up a little short was in braking and suspension (easily upgraded), but from what I've read, the new model (2015+) is better in both, especially braking.

The 650 will be lighter, more agile and slower than the 1000. Both will be good bikes.

Originally Posted By: David_g
The monoshock on the lightest pre-load is still to stiff for me (205 lbs).

Preload doesn't do much for stiffness on a bike with a single-rate spring. Use it to set sag.

I doubt the spring rate is too stiff for you, though I guess it's possible. More likely it has a [censored] shock that doesn't respond well to bumps. I did an R1 shock swap on my 2nd Gen Versys. Not sure what you can do with a gen 3.

That was a fun bike, and I'm sure I'd like the new one.

Thanks for the tip Dave. I found Dave Moss Tuning on Youtube, and setup my suspension. Now I understand sag. Waiting for warm weather to check out the adjustment.

OP here. I did get that 2017 Kawasaki Versys 650. Got a good deal and picked the Titanium color.

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
OP here. I did get that 2017 Kawasaki Versys 650. Got a good deal and picked the Titanium color.

Review and pictures or it didn't happen!

Just turned 200 miles and my rides have been in cold weather so I`m still not quite sure how well I like it. The stock seat tilts you forward and I didn`t like that so I took it apart and flattened out the sitting area on rear of seat. That was a good upgrade. I have handlebar risers coming only a little over an inch, will see how that goes. Also have a Puig 9421 shield on order , that should show up soon. It`s bigger than the original which isn`t bad just hoping this one does even better.Over all I think I will be ok with this cycle. It is totally different than my trade in 2013 Road Star. I just wanted to try something different .As for pictures I am awful at loading pictures, also havn`t taken any yet.

Congrats on the new bike! I had an 09 650 and loved it. Handled like a supermoto around town and cruised real nice on the highway. Now I’m looking at picking up a new 300.

I just picked up a 2007 Ninja 650R, basically the twin to the Versys I believe. Great running little bike, very nimble and excellent commuter bikes. Looking forward to racking up a lot of miles on the Florida roads this summer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back