Most accurate tire inflator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have a Longacre Magnum™ 3 ½” Tire Gauge for checking my car's tires' inflation pressure.

Problem is that it's the version with the ball chuck and sometimes it doesn't make perfect contact with the tire's valve resulting in higher deflation than the intending one.

Anyway, I was thinking of buying a digital tire inflator, so which is the most accurate one? (I had chosen the Longacre gauge for its accuracy and I'm planning to buy an inflator with a similar one.)

I dislike tire gauges that are finicky and need a perfect seat. I buy the type that has a deep well at the contact point so it aligns itself with little effort. Once you get past that then you can pick a digital feature. Sorry I don’t have a brand name for you. Mine are analog.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
I dislike tire gauges that are finicky and need a perfect seat. I buy the type that has a deep well at the contact point so it aligns itself with little effort. Once you get past that then you can pick a digital feature. Sorry I don’t have a brand name for you. Mine are analog.

Unfortunately, I didn't know that the ball type would require extra effort in order to seat properly. I just bought the cheaper one available on ebay and it happened to be the one with the ball chuck.

Originally Posted By: Richie
I use this Intercomp Digital Tire Gauge

https://www.intercompracing.com/99.99-digital-pressure-gauge-p-180-l-en.html

This time I'm not looking for a gauge. I'm looking for an inflator (with an air compressor). When I bought the Longacre I bought it with accuracy in mind and I'm again looking for an inflator which has great accuracy, so I don't need an extra gauge for deflation.

Intercomp has a gauge/inflator on their website

Originally Posted By: inquirer
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot

Unfortunately, I didn't know that the ball type would require extra effort in order to seat properly. I just bought the cheaper one available on ebay and it happened to be the one with the ball chuck.

I use this Intercomp Digital Tire Gauge

https://www.intercompracing.com/99.99-digital-pressure-gauge-p-180-l-en.html

This time I'm not looking for a gauge. I'm looking for an inflator (with an air compressor). When I bought the Longacre I bought it with accuracy in mind and I'm again looking for an inflator which has great accuracy, so I don't need an extra gauge for deflation.

I wasn't able to find it. Anyway, I was thinking about something like RING RAC640, but I'm not sure if this kind of machines are accurate and durable.

I wasn't able to find it. Anyway, I was thinking about something like RING RAC640, but I'm not sure if this kind of machines are accurate and durable.

Never trust the gauge that comes on a compressor.

I also try not to use portable compressors. They do not have a drier in them, so you are putting wet air in your tires. Dried shop air is much, much better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

Never trust the gauge that comes on a compressor.

I also try not to use portable compressors. They do not have a drier in them, so you are putting wet air in your tires. Dried shop air is much, much better.

Well, do all air compressors at gas stations have dryers? Are they standard? Furthermore, does dry air have any significant advantage? For example, filling the tires with nitrogen doesn't make a major difference, at least not for everyday driving.

Anyway, accuracy maybe is an issue for some inflators, but maybe not for others. It would be great if there was a review comparing their accuracy with the reading of a professional gauge.
Gauges show different reading though too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U51cMyTsL_Y. If you watch the video there is a 2 psi difference between different analog gauges. If the uploader didn't bleed air unintentionally while using the gauges then 2 psi would be a major difference, if these gauges claim that they are spot on.

Why do you need to be such sticklers for accurate PSI? It can vary from day to day.

One or two PSI either way ain't gonna hurt a lot. But, don't be afraid to compensate. (EG, if I see that the tires are wearing on the edges, I'll run 2 PSI more.)

PS: For 30 years I've used a Black & Decker Air Station to fill up tires. No drier, of course. No issues either. Yeah, the gauge isn't too accurate anymore (reads 11 PSI 'high') but I can adjust in my mind. I always double-check with a gauge...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Carbuff
Why do you need to be such sticklers for accurate PSI? It can vary from day to day.

One or two PSI either way ain't gonna hurt a lot. But, don't be afraid to compensate. (EG, if I see that the tires are wearing on the edges, I'll run 2 PSI more.)

PS: For 30 years I've used a Black & Decker Air Station to fill up tires. No drier, of course. No issues either. Yeah, the gauge isn't too accurate anymore (reads 11 PSI 'high') but I can adjust in my mind. I always double-check with a gauge...

It certainly doesn't hurt to be precise.

If the gauge overestimates the pressure by 2-3 PSI, the owner has neglected to check the pressure for a relatively long time (maybe that has caused another 1-2 psi pressure decrease) and a cold wave has hit, then the combination can lead to a big difference.

Personally, during winter I wait for a cold wave and when it comes I adjust the pressure early in the morning.

Originally Posted By: Carbuff

A drier is only really important on high performance vehicles. If you have water in a tire that gets hotter than the boiling point of water, there is significant increase in pressure, which can cause disastrous results.

Instead of a compressor, I have a small air pig I fill at the shop with dry air. Also much quicker for adjusting pressures.

Last edited:
Just picked up this one for use in the shop.

TPGDL1000C.jpg

On sale for $140 CDN.

Supposed to be better than 1% accuracy.

https://store.snapon.com/Inflators-Digital-Inflator-with-Coated-Hose-P892712.aspx

Quote:

• Reads in 0.1 PSI increments, range of 5–150 PSI

• Vinyl-coated, braided stainless steel hose for increased strength, flexibility and protection from scratching

• Back-lit display, with PSI, kPa, bar and kg/m²

• Includes dual-foot and clip-on chucks

• 1/4" NPT hose ends for easy use with any open chuck

• Three-position trigger allows users to quickly read, inflate and bleed-off tire pressure with one hand

• Rubber body prevents damage when dropped

Last edited:
Since most cars have a TPMS now.... having a tire gauge that doesn't match the monitoring system makes it pointless IMO.

I’m in the EU ... so OnStar … have sent a few texts over the years …
I use the Slime digital at home but have old school too (like low psi for mower)

The Astro 3018 can be had on Amazon for $67. All of my other inflaters collect dust.

Last edited:
I have a Slime compressor in each of my vehicles. I've never had a problem with them. I even have one of those yellow Pittsburgh compressors that I got for $9 that does the job in a pinch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back