Impact recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys:

DIY only here - so I'm not posting in the tool section. Mainly just lugs and some brake caliper bolts - nothing crazy.

I was gifted a cheap Sears airgun, and it leaks something awful.

I'm thinking of buying a 1/2 in cordless impact, but cannot justify spending buying a Makita or Milwaukee and only using it a few times a year.

I was looking at a Ryobi P261, only because I already have a low capacity 18v battery from my 1/4 impact I use around the house. (I use it to spin bolts on my cars after breaking them loose with a breaker.)

Anyone care to advise here? I'm not opposed to an air tool, but would like something small - the small ones are in the p261 range, so I'm torn.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I used to work at THD; there is a widespread belief that Ryobi closed gap against competition plus they offer a lifetime warranty on their products; assuming your needs you may wanna get Ryobi and save the receipt

I'm using Milwaukee cordless though

Get a mini! I bought the Mac AWP050M, and I hardly ever reach for the AWP050 full size I bought previously.

It's basically a rebadged Pronto:

Pronto 1/2 in impact

I absolutely love this little guy. It has PLENTY of power. Axle nuts, crankshaft pulley bolts, lug nuts, caliper bolts, etc. Pair is with a QUALITY universal joint adapter and there's almost no where this little thing won't fit.

The only problem with that Ryobi is that it is huge for the fairly low power output. Corded impacts tend to be huge too, it will be tough getting to caliper bolts with a corded model.

If you use any impact wrench to fully tighten wheel lug nuts, you'll be way over spec and 6 months later
the same tool won't have enough torque to remove the same wheel, you'll have to use a 24" or more breaker bar.

I have 1 high power air impact tool and a lo-power cordless that only goes to 80-90 Ft/Lbs that I use to
mount wheels and finish with a click type torque wrench by hand, so studs aren't stretched or stripped.

The big one removes the wheels and for suspension work where the power is needed!

Back in the '70s, we had a big RV with big wheels over torqued by the garage, on I-75 I felt a slight
but odd wobble in the front, we stopped for a look-see and ONLY 3 studs and nuts left on a front wheel!!
Close call!

Harbor Freight has a multitude of various-sized air impacts to fit any "try-it" budget. My brother being a mechanic by trade has a Blue Point as one of his favorites, but I'm not dropping $800 on an impact, EVER.

I got the 1/2" standard anvil Earthquake from Harbor for like $74, rated at like 750 ft-lbs removal torque. Does it really do that much? Maybe, maybe not. But it's removed everything I've ever touched with it, and the middle of 3 tighten settings comes out right at 100 ft-lbs so it's great for doing aluminum wheels. I put two drops of oil in it every time I use it, and it's lasted about 5 years so far. Not a bad bargain in my book!

I bought a corded Milwaukee in 1980, never regretted it. Though it's powerful, on a rare occasion I have to use a breaker bar. I'm thinking about buying a cordless to use for mower blades.

Originally Posted By: JLawrence08648
I bought a corded Milwaukee in 1980, never regretted it. Though it's powerful, on a rare occasion I have to use a breaker bar. I'm thinking about buying a cordless to use for mower blades.

Hex drives work well for small projects. The Milwaukee is pretty good. I have a DeWalt 20V and it works decent. I think it should get blades off a mower unless they're rusted up.

Originally Posted By: JLawrence08648

That was made when Milwaukee was still running its own show, although they had been sold to Amstar at that time Amstar didn't interfere with production. You cant compare the original to what they sell today.

I have been using the Ryobi in question for about 18 months now. Works just fine for a home mechanic. Has yet to have a problem with lug nuts nor suspension nuts and bolts.

It's a great add on tool if you already have some of the Ryobi 18v One+ tools and batteries.

If you believe the tool forums, the P261 and the Craftsman C3 version are clones of themselves. Pictures do look pretty identical.

If you find it struggling, you may want to pick up the 4 mAh battery. Rumor is the bigger battery gives it a bit more juice.

There is supposedly an even high power Lithium Ion battery in the works for Ryobi One+.

I have an Aircat 1055-TH for when I need a little more oomph or need to get into tighter places.

thanks for all the help guys.

Harbor Freight has a 1/2 mini air gun on sale for $89 if anyone is interested. Also a pretty good deal on a 3/8 cordless impact ($129). you can add the 20% off coupon also.

Basically disposable tools....

If you're interested in electric check out the new kobalt line from Lowes the 24v max series. Just used the big half inch impact to rotate the tires yesterday.

Have the drill and 1/4" driver as well. Quite impressed with the build quality of the series. Batteries are cheap and last long as well.

Last edited:
I like CP stuff, always had good luck with them.

they make stubby's as well as the regular size 1/2 inch and i use them on lugnuts all the time and just snug them up and torque them afterwards.

you can find good prices for a lot of impacts online, ebay amazon etc.

I think the Mighty 7 impacts are growing in popularity as well as most impacts from air cat

thanks for all the help guys.

I went with an air impact because I need to do some suspension work anyway, and realized that I have 5 different battery systems just for tools. (2 Ryobi, 2 Black and Decker, and a random Harbor freight tool set that someone bought me years ago). More tools than skills...

how long can I expect to get out of the Ryobi 18v lithium batteries? I'm really disappointed in the black and decker 18v - I bought a reciprocating saw (saw-zall type), only because I already had the battery from a trimmer - but the life is a joke (15 minutes max).

I really should have stuck to one battery type rather than just buying stuff on sale.

Originally Posted By: Chester11
I really should have stuck to one battery type rather than just buying stuff on sale.

That's the thing, battery life and quality as well as a good selection of real quality tools is one of the most important things with cordless tools.
Bare tools are not that expensive but some of the batteries and chargers for them are pricey and can double and more the price of the bare tool.

For that reason I stayed with Makita, the new 18V lithium work with the old tools and vice versa and in 10+ yrs no one tool or battery has failed in hard use.
Which impact did you get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back