low-profile tires w/ sidewall cracks

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of years ago we lent the Mazda 5 to Jr & his wife for a long trip. I thought that the rear tires were getting a bit worn, and decided to replace them before they left. I was shocked to see cracking on the inner-facing sidewalls (but was really glad I'd decided to replace them). The outer-facing sidewalls looked fine. These are by far the lowest-profile tires I've ever had. When I was young, 78-series tires were standard, and 70s were hot stuff.

With these 50s, it's very hard to tell visually when they're low. I suspect we unknowingly ran them with too little pressure.

what was a month/year year of the production; maybe that has something to do with cracks

The car was about 6-1/2 years old at that point, with about 90K km. I wonder if the Hankooks were the original tires?

there is a saying, no more than 5 year old tires on the car; anything beyond you run into risk of compromised performances

I usually look at these threads expecting to think "Pah! cosmetic. Years left on them" and I usually do.

But maybe not this time.

Can you see the belting? IIRC that's the "official" UK MOT test fail criterion, though in practice the testers seem to do whatever they like.

Exactly why I replace OEM tires ASAP on all cars I purchase used (all of them).
Unless the PO can prove they were just changed AND they are of reputable quality.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Exactly why I replace OEM tires ASAP on all cars I purchase used (all of them).
Unless the PO can prove they were just changed AND they are of reputable quality.
These are the upscale factory 17" alloys. November through March I run 55-series winters on 16" steel rims, and far prefer them. Am considering buying used 16" Mazda alloys along with four new 3-season tires. The 50-series tires really transfer a lot of shock to the suspension, as well as providing a harsh ride.

It’s hard to tell for sure but I think it reads 07/08; so that tire is most likely from Feb 2008

Very fortunate you caught those. They look like they would have separated on that long trip, especially if in a hot climate.

Not just heat, but heat and cold cycling with a very dry climate, year round.

I meant heat from chronic under-inflation.

Not just heat, but heat and cold cycling with a very dry climate, year round.

Never heard that one (well, those two)

Considering them independantly, by what mechanisms do you think

(a) temperature cycling (as opposed to sustained high temperatures), and
(b) low humidity

are going to cause tyre cracking?

Hint: "There are no such mechanisms" should perhaps be included in your list of possible answers.

Low profile tires have to be watched closely to make sure the pressure is correct. It can be difficult if not impossible to "feel" a low tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back