No more GDI in my fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we just traded in my wife's 2013 MB ML350 for a 2017 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk. I'm not sure how many followed all the issues I have had with the injection system and injectors on that car, but I am overjoyed to be done with it. About 3 or 4 weeks ago we pulled up to a bicycle shop and a nicely tricked out Renegade was sitting out front. My Bride who rarely says boo about anything she "wants" quietly blurted out "oh, I want one of those", now truly this is unheard of for her...so we went on inside. We tried on several bikes for each of us, and had a generally good time chatting with the staff. On the way out, there were racks and racks of bikes out front which quickly drew my attention (as that is what we were shopping for that day), but her eyes went right to the Renegade, and again she mentioned how much she liked the car. Now, with all the trouble we have been having wit the Benz, and how little I liked it...I was right on board. I first started shopping for a lightly used model, and in my searching quickly realized one could have a brand new 2017 for the same price as used...like, plugging in the values, I could get it for the same price as the trade in value. So, we found a nicely loaded Trailhawk, and I could not be more happy to be back to all MPI in my fleet. :)

We test drove a trailhawk and i really liked it. My wife thought it a bit too small so we went with the cx-5, as she would be the primary driver.

It drove well, had good power. I still may consider one in the future!

Good for you. I bought a 2016 WRX almost 2 years ago. It's DI-only. I'll never buy another DI-only vehicle. Haven't had any trouble with the WRX (at least, not related to the intake tract), but I like keeping vehicles until the wheels fall off. And I would hate having to pay hundreds of dollars every few years to have the intake tract cleaned.

Toyota, Ford and others who have both MPI & DI seem to have it figured out (though time will be the judge of that).

What's weird about the WRX having DI-only is that the Subaru BRZ/Scion FRS/Toyota 86 have Toyota's version of the FI system, which includes MPI. So no worries about buildup in the intake tracts of that car. It's a very similar engine to that of the WRX (it's NA instead of turbo), so I can only assume it was pride on Subaru's part not to use the Toyota GDI/MPI setup as used on the 86.

My Mazdaspeed had 158k on it when I flipped it for the 2 Series. Performance and fuel economy were excellent over the entire time I owned it. No issues with my 2er at 40K or the Clubman at 109k either. I've never touched the valves, injectors, or pumps on any of them.
I really like the Renegade Trailhawk, but I'm reluctant to buy any new Jeep vehicle as the CDJ dealers in my neck of the woods have a strict policy against hiring techs with opposable thumbs.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
It's good that you got rid of that money pit Benz for a Jeep.

Does that sound right when you read what you typed? "For a JEEP"? A FIAT built Jeep.

The money pit saga continues!

I just can't get over the taillights. Whenever I see them I get the urge to grab a Phillips screwdriver and attempt to unscrew them...

Originally Posted By: deven
I just can't get over the taillights. Whenever I see them I get the urge to grab a Phillips screwdriver and attempt to unscrew them...

LOL! Now that you mentioned it, I will not be able to get this image out of my head.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: deven

LOL! Now that you mentioned it, I will not be able to get this image out of my head.
smile.gif

My left eye twitches when I see over use of the squircle design philosophy

Looking at you Fiat!

Taillights like a cartoon character that's dead

Originally Posted By: CKN
Yep FIAT built anything is far more reliable...........

Sure!

You're getting the hang of this BITOG thing. Soon you'll be singing the praises of the Crown Vic and Michelin tires!

OP - Congrats on the new ride. My FCAs have served me well.

OP, nothing wrong with the Renegade. Most owners seem very happy with them. My daughter is nutty over them and wants one badly. She things they look great. I think they look quirky, but they drive nicely and the interior is really good.

Enjoy that ride! I'll bet you have years of trouble free use from it.

Thank you for all the well wishes!

I have to admit, I was one of the last people that ever thought I would buy a Chrysler/Fiat product. I did a little research and came to understand that the engine was actually a joint development project under the Global Engine Alliance between Chrysler, Mitsubishi, and Hyundai. I also learned the transmission is a ZF unit found in many Hondas and Acuras. That was enough to at least encourage me to take a test drive. It rides tight and well. Wind noise is decent for a box, and interior space is great for a car this small. It looks zippy, and my wife loves it (that matters most). So far she is averaging just over 25 mpg on regular unleaded...were she used to average 17-18 on premium in the Benz. I would guess over the next several years we will be gobs of money ahead with the Jeep vs. staying with the Benz. I will update later after we spend some more time with it. So far, very happy with the purchase.

After 3 Patriots, my daughter leased a Renegade Limited last summer and absolutely loves it. I was apprehensive due to the past Fiat quality image, but so far no issues and the build quality is impressive.
In fact, a 124 Spider may be joining my fleet this Spring, also a non-DI engine.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
the CDJ dealers in my neck of the woods have a strict policy against hiring techs with opposable thumbs.

You aren't kidding. I was so [censored] this weekend when I went to replace the belt on my father's 2013 Grand Cherokee 5.7L. The Jeep has 110k on it, the only time someone touched it was at 20k miles the water pump developed a slight drip under warranty. It was replaced by the dealership.

Every single bolt they touched to do the water pump was either finger tight, had fallen out, or was missing. It was ridiculous. It was a miracle it wasn't leaking again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back