Customer only wants conventional oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
New customer with an older (170K) 3.3L Sienna requested scheduled maintenance and diagnosis of several brake/steering issues. We provided a competitive price for the oil change using a Dexos-approved 5W-30 synthetic oil. (We only stock bulk generic Dexos 5W-30 and Dexos 0W-20 oil, no conventional oil is stocked.) The customer expressed reservations about the quoted price, so we offered to lower the price a little bit. The customer then expressed concerns about using synthetic oil in an older vehicle and felt that regardless of price, they only wanted conventional oil to be used.

Drove to Walmart and picked up a 5-qt jug of Chevron 5W-30 conventional. Now everyone is happy.

But I was surprised- this was the first time that someone was adamant about not using synthetic oil in their car.

Maybe customer is on a tight budget and they thought Dino oil is sufficient for a vehicle with 170K miles... ?

Also some have heard that Synthetic oil causes leaks in an old engine?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Maybe customer is on a tight budget and they thought Dino oil is sufficient for a vehicle with 170K miles... ?

From our initial conversation, he received a slight discount off of the original price. However, he did not receive an additional discount for choosing conventional. Interestingly enough, the Chevron 5W-30 conventional oil cost me more than our generic Dexos-approved 5W-30 synthetic oil.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Where do you work? Should have had pep boys bring out their proline @ $1.80/qt and a champion filter for $1.44.

See, that $1.80/qt is not much less than my cost for our generic Dexos 5W-30 synthetic. We use Genuine Toyota for oil filters.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
He may know its an oil burner.

No oil consumption, just oil leaks.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Where do you work? Should have had pep boys bring out their proline @ $1.80/qt and a champion filter for $1.44.

See, that $1.80/qt is not much less than my cost for our generic Dexos 5W-30 synthetic. We use Genuine Toyota for oil filters.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
He may know its an oil burner.

No oil consumption, just oil leaks.
ya but how much time did you waste going to Walmart? Prolly at least an hour. Pep boys will deliver it.

[ya but how much time did you waste going to Walmart? Prolly at least an hour. Pep boys will deliver it.

True. Good thing WM was sorta on my way to the shop.

Does your limited menu of oil prohibit you from servicing vehicles that require a different oil?

New customer with an older (170K) 3.3L Sienna requested scheduled maintenance and diagnosis of several brake/steering issues. We provided a competitive price for the oil change using a Dexos-approved 5W-30 synthetic oil. (We only stock bulk generic Dexos 5W-30 and Dexos 0W-20 oil, no conventional oil is stocked.) The customer expressed reservations about the quoted price, so we offered to lower the price a little bit. The customer then expressed concerns about using synthetic oil in an older vehicle and felt that regardless of price, they only wanted conventional oil to be used.

Drove to Walmart and picked up a 5-qt jug of Chevron 5W-30 conventional. Now everyone is happy.

But I was surprised- this was the first time that someone was adamant about not using synthetic oil in their car.

[ya but how much time did you waste going to Walmart? Prolly at least an hour. Pep boys will deliver it.

True. Good thing WM was sorta on my way to the shop.
not me. Complete other side of town. Takes me 40 min to get to wm.

Originally Posted By: Ursatdx
Does your limited menu of oil prohibit you from servicing vehicles that require a different oil?

Already fully answered, with a worked example already.

Does your need to post prohibit you from actually reading the thread?

If so, Fear Not, you are NOT ALONE

Seeing the vehicles in my signature, what would you use if I rolled into the shop, wanted my oil changed and didn't bother asking/caring what is used?

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Seeing the vehicles in my signature, what would you use if I rolled into the shop, wanted my oil changed and didn't bother asking/caring what is used?

I normally avoid Euro cars, but if I had to work on it, Motul 8100 Xcess 5w-40 from WorldPac.

However, Worldpac is only open M-F.

This reminds me of my parents....

Unlike me (and the proof I bring), my dad is simply not interested in using a synthetic at all. They have a 2012 T&C, and it has never seen a synthetic. They get it changed now at the local dealership, which I think uses a Pennzoil syn blend. I have even offered to give them oil to take to the dealership....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back