air bags instead of driver training?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Air bags are a "safety device" , driver training is a skill set. You can't get over stupid another words

People still die with airbags.They aren't the magic bullet that Washington envisioned when they mandated them.

This is a false dialectic.
A very experienced and attentive driver might well find themselves in a position where a collision is unavoidable.
Kind of like the two guys who got killed on an icy spot of I-75 north of the I-271 loop in the early morning darkness last Thursday by an out of control tractor trailer rig, although no amount of airbags would have helped them nor can you really blame the truck driver for running into unanticipated ice on the roadway.
Airbags represent a second layer of defense in protecting life and limb in situations where no amount of skill, awareness and attentiveness would have prevented the collision.
Nothing at all to do with driver training or skills.
This is the point I made a year or so back in a thread on riding bikes in traffic after we saw one co-worker die and another sustain helo ride and ICU level injuries in bike accidents that weren't their fault.

From experience, an airbag will break your nose and give you two black eyes.
A steering wheel will cause a cut that needs 3 stitches.

Originally Posted By: Olas

I sold a lot of cars to people that were involved in accidents. Many with black eyes and a busted nose. Airbags can be life savers, but as you said it comes at a cost. Hitting a steering wheel is a lot worse....

Originally Posted By: Olas
Or lack of airbags will kill you, or cause such serious brain damage that you'd be better off dead (as happened to my Dad back in 1979, he was never the same again for the next 30 years of his life)).

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
This is a false dialectic.
A very experienced and attentive driver might well find themselves in a position where a collision is unavoidable.
Kind of like the two guys who got killed on an icy spot of I-75 north of the I-271 loop in the early morning darkness last Thursday by an out of control tractor trailer rig, although no amount of airbags would have helped them nor can you really blame the truck driver for running into unanticipated ice on the roadway.
Airbags represent a second layer of defense in protecting life and limb in situations where no amount of skill, awareness and attentiveness would have prevented the collision.
Nothing at all to do with driver training or skills.
This is the point I made a year or so back in a thread on riding bikes in traffic after we saw one co-worker die and another sustain helo ride and ICU level injuries in bike accidents that weren't their fault.

I-75 is a death road, I was thanking the Man Upstairs that I was out of town last week, I'm up there all the time north of I-275. All the money in the world wouldn't put me on a bike on the interstate here, NO WAY!

I agree.
75 from a bit north of I-70 to a ways south of the river is really bad all of the time.
To the north and south of that zone, it's actually more pleasant than I-71 to Cleveland.
WRT to riding a bike through this area, I think you'd have to be a fool to do so, but there are many makeshift roadside memorials to such fools, although at the right time of day it would be okay.
Just avoid rush hours on your tourer, since the frantic rush hour drivers couldn't care less about you on your bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back