Looking at my first riding mower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need help selecting a new riding lawn mower. I only have about 1/2 an acre but me and my wife are getting up there in age, and it would be nice to not have to walk behind even a self propelled... would like to keep it around $1500, and it would be nice if I could have a model that I could put a blade on the front to push snow for the driveway in Winter.

Last edited:
Thats going to be impossible for $1500 new. To move snow, you will need a 4wd mower, without turfsaver tires. The blade alone would be $500 up for the most basic blade.

Originally Posted By: montero1
Need help selecting a new riding lawn mower. I only have about 1/2 an acre but me and my wife are getting up there in age, and it would be nice to not have to walk behind even a self propelled... would like to keep it around $1500, and it would be nice if I could have a model that I could put a blade on the front to push snow for the driveway in Winter.
It might be doable for a few hundred more. Brinly back blade, sleeve hitch, and a set of tire chains. I have used this setup and it seems easier for my light tractor to pull a blade rather than push.

Last edited:
There are BIG differences between "lawn tractor" and "Garden tractor"

The stamped-sheetmetal-everything lawn tractors are built to be disposable

If you are pushing a snow blade you will NEED a larger, heavier garden tractor.

Why new?
I sold my Kubota B7100 4WD (this is not a toy, it is a REAL tractor) for $2250 (it was VERY nice) and you can get something similar for similar price.
357075_opt.jpg

Originally Posted By: CT8
My neighbor has a ztr mower they are fast!

Does he have a snow blade on it?
lol.gif

I have a toro SS5000 and it is much faster than a tractor type mower, its not a yard with a lot of incline. I never thought i would own one, but after using one, it has cut my mowing time down almost in half. Thats also less fuel used.

With a 1/2 acre, the op might want to consider a good self propelled mower and a snow thrower to accomplish both tasks for the money.

Last edited:
For $1500 you aren’t going to find anything that meets your specs. A lawn tractor doesn’t have the power or build for pushing snow. You would have to move up to a garden tractor that is built for added implements. A Husqvarna that meets those specs will easily cost $3300. A 30” rear engine rider would work well for mowing your 1/2 acre lot. Troybilt, Craftsman, Cub Cadet, Snapper and Poulan Pro all have 30” rear engine riders. Then get you a separate snow thrower of hire someone to do it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: CT8
My neighbor has a ztr mower they are fast!

Does he have a snow blade on it?
lol.gif

I've seen blades for zero turns.
37.gif

$1500 new won't buy much.

My advice is to look out for an older (late 60's-70's) Wheel Horse. $500-$800ish depending on the condition all day long around here. Step it up a bit for a used G series diesel Kubota. Maybe around $2000-$2500?

Blades and blowers can be found for both, but from what I understand, you are better off trying to find one that comes with what you are wanting so you know you have everything and aren't missing some rare $200 bracket.

$1500 will get you a riding mower, but not one that will be durable enough to push a plow.
The transaxles and frames on any of the $1500 mowers are not up to the task of pushing a blow. For plowing you would be in the $3000 and up range.

Check e-bay and Craig's list for your area.
I've seen lots of garden tractors in my area
and some of them are nice.
Next Sunday, drive around several dealers and look
at used garden tractors. Usually over priced at a
dealer but you'll get some ideas.

My 2¢

Only 1/2-acre? I'd get one of those little rear-engined Snappers. That's what I want to get for my 1/3-acre lawn. I can't help with the snow plowing. I'd go with an old fashioned self-propelled snow blower, unless the driveway was really long.

You can get a new Craftsman or any Husqvarna spinoff for 1500 and do the things you need. You sure don't want to spend your time on a used clunker that someone ran into the ground.The snow blade would be an extra.

Last edited:
Seems to me, the AMT of money needed for a machine to do what you want could pay someone to move your snow and cut your grass for a few years.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
You can get a new Craftsman or any Husqvarna spinoff for 1500 and do the things you need. You sure don't want to spend your time on a used clunker that someone ran into the ground.The snow blade would be an extra.

I second this. I think for the most part plowing snow with a rwd tractor isn't all that efficient. It can be done, especially for smaller amounts. But once you get over a couple inches its more trouble than its worth.

$1500 can certainly buy you a decent mowing machine. Sometimes folks on this site go a little overboard with mowers. Not everyone needs a diesel 4x4 tractor for 1/2 acre. And you can absolutely buy a higher end machine used, but as I found with a garden tractor I bought like that you end up chasing the previous owners bugs.

I too prefer Husqvarna group built machines over MTD. Obviously they're both built to a price point. I like the cutting decks and some of the steering components on husqvarna group better. Engines are irrelevant, though not a fan of present day Kohler single cyl engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back