Mattress in a box. Experiences. Suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been a long time since I had to buy a mattress and since that time they have started to sell mattresses shipped to your doorstep boxed and vacuum packed. Just cut open the bag and let the mattress expand. Prices are cheap compared to store brands.

Has anyone here bought one and what were your thoughts? There are so many brands and a huge price range.

Go to a mattress store and see if you like Latex or memory foam mattresses. That is what most such web sellers sell.
Go to a website called "sleep like the dead" for reviews on what your considering. You can shop a multitude of mattresses on a site called U.S. Mattress.Com I have a latex mattress and don't like it. Latex differs from memory foam. The best mattress I ever slept on was a Restonic spring mattress.

I have a temperpedic memory foam, and I like it but it was expensive and some people think they are too firm and some think they are hot. I did notice that Consumer Reports gave good ratings to Costco mattresses.

Most of the memory foam mattress in a box is very firm or firm.
It comes in just foam or foam on top of spring (hybrid).
It is the nature of memory foam.

So, if you like plush, stay with traditional spring mattress.

I used one for a few years until I got freaked out one day about offgassing. I went back to a traditional spring mattress and have the same sleep quality.

I have the Costco Foam that comes in a box, my wife likes it.but I feel it is too soft. I also have a Sleep Number bed which I prefer, its fully adjustable (Firmness). Consumer Reports came out with an article last year, I suggest you read it, so you can fully understand all the options.

Ikea has a lot of foam mattresses. I know you asked about mail order, but, you may want to try before you buy if there is an Ikea close. I bought a memory foam mattress from Walmart dot com that worked well for our trailer.

Just got a memory foam from costco. You are correct, we cut open the bag, and then instructions said to just let the mattress unwind itself, and a couple hours later it was full spread out on the bed.

I have never slept so soundly in my life. I go to bed at night and except for a bathroom trip, I'm out until the alarm goes off, instead of waking up, looking at the clock, then going back to sleep. I also find that I'm sleeping so soundly I don't even move positions--I wake up in the same position that I fell asleep in, which tells me I'm sleeping pretty soundly.

Whatever you do, don't get sucked into mattress "review" sites or fall down that rabbithole.
These have popped up over the past few years just and are just a side job for a young millennial with web skills to get affiliate money. The review and review sites are all circular quoting each other boosting their own SEO results for "best" mattress is a casper or a leesa or a tuft and needle or a purple.

Nor shoild you believe their comparisons that
this is a $1500 or $2000 traditional mattress for $800. Nobody buys that traditional mattress at $2000 msrp, it is 50% off on any holiday, and even steeper discounts during closeouts. At a furniture store, you can often bargain for a high quality floor model mattress (still in plastic, but laid on a few times) for like 200 or 300. versus 1000 msrp.

There is a lot of profit in tradional mattresses, so the traditional sales deserve to get some of their fat trimmed. This does not mean that the .com foam mattress is always better than a traditional, nor does it mean that it is worse. Ultimately you need to try things out.

All that being said, I did go internet I'm happy with my helix .com mattress.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
Whatever you do, don't get sucked into mattress "review" sites or fall down that rabbithole.
These have popped up over the past few years just and are just a side job for a young millennial with web skills to get affiliate money. The review and review sites are all circular quoting each other boosting their own SEO results for "best" mattress is a casper or a leesa or a tuft and needle or a purple.

Nor shoild you believe their comparisons that
this is a $1500 or $2000 traditional mattress for $800. Nobody buys that traditional mattress at $2000 msrp, it is 50% off on any holiday, and even steeper discounts during closeouts. At a furniture store, you can often bargain for a high quality floor model mattress (still in plastic, but laid on a few times) for like 200 or 300. versus 1000 msrp.

There is a lot of profit in tradional mattresses, so the traditional sales deserve to get some of their fat trimmed. This does not mean that the .com foam mattress is always better than a traditional, nor does it mean that it is worse. Ultimately you need to try things out.

All that being said, I did go internet I'm happy with my helix .com mattress.

Yep I saw those. Scam sites for sure and a lot of them are sponsored by mattress companies so you know where those reviews will take you. At least they do disclose this up front for the most part.

We used to own a Select Comfort. It was great. When we moved we deflated it and took it apart to find the inside full of mold. That was a older design and I think they have improved the circulation.

Was originally shopping the Casper mattress, but based on reviews of others we ended up getting a Tuft and Needle for even less $. Has been amazing so far, and I will 100% purchase my next mattress delivered in a box. Tuft and Needle and Casper both have good reviews from Consumer Reports.

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
We bought one from Zinus about a year ago. This one - the 12 inch variety:
https://www.zinus.com/collections/mattre...nt=257828814856

Good overall, no complaints but I'm not that picky either.

Being a Amazon Prime member, this same mattress popped up high on recommendations. Do you find it to be firm or plush? I have to laugh at the reviews. One finds it hard as a rock while the next one says it’s way too soft. I don’t pay much attention to them anyway.

Casper 'the Casper' seems to be a favorite, and had a good CR rating.
We bought a Novaform Serafina from Costco. My wife complained it was too hard so we bought a Novaform Gel Memory foam 3" mattress topper. The combination worked very well - except we had to replace our old sheets with newer ones designed for a thicker mattress. We also added a dust mite cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back