2011 F150-5.0V8 Kendall GT1 5W-20 9565 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Code:

Mileage 19500 29230 38960 48835 58455 68060 77830 87655 97790 107275 116965 126530

On oil 9110 9730 9730 9875 9620 9605 9770 9825 10145 9485 9690 9565

Fe 17 13 19 17 15 10 31 14 17 17 29 16

Cr 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Ni 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Al 5 6 4 4 2 3 4 3 4 3 4 4

Cu 2 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 0

Pb 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0

Sn 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Cd 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Ag 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0

V 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Si 17 16 15 11 10 11 9 13 11 11 10 9

Na 5 3 3 2 6 3 4 3 3 3 3 3

K 2 1 5 0 0 0 3 2 3 7 0 0

Ti 120 105 105 97 106 98 94 109 113 111 106 116

Mo 86 81 84 72 80 57 24 19 18 17 18 17

Sb 0 0 0 0 0 2 1 0 1 1 0 0

Mn 6 3 9 9 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

Li 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

B 59 43 53 39 58 31 33 36 39 38 41 40

Mg 7 9 9 9 9 9 10 10 9 9 11 10

Ca 2664 2428 2325 2196 2458 2174 2179 2468 2278 2436 2282 2390

Ba 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

P 792 661 661 641 690 652 702 758 723 715 719 726

Zn 883 781 753 729 790 765 757 905 831 822 772 815

Fuel dilution
Soot
Water
Vis 100C cSt8.1 8.1 8.0 8.3 8.4 8.0 8.0 8.2 8.2 8.0 7.9 8.1

TAN 4.7 4.34 2.83

TBN .10 1.56 1.45 2.6

Add oil: 2.3 quarts (up 1 qt. from previous change cycles). IOLM
This will be the last UOA from this truck. I replaced it with a 2018 F150 5.0 this week. I had no issues with the truck or the engine. It is still all original except for tires, brakes and shocks. It just got to the point where the used value coupled with the price of a new one meant I needed to replace it before the spread got greater than I want to spend.

The next truck will be on Kendall and will be tracked just like this one.

Wow man! Awesome results.

I have a company car, so my '12 just hit 54K miles. Still, a new '18 or '19 would be nice.
I actually stopped by the dealer a couple of weeks ago with my son and looked. They had quite a few 2.7's, but I'm pretty sure I would go V8 again.

Enjoy your new truck!

That's VERY, very low Iron and Aluminum for almost 10,000 miles!

It's barely 1 ppm of iron per 1000, and .3 ppm of aluminum per 1000.

Essentially, your engine isn't wearing at all.

That's Lexus/Toyota territory right there!

The long term average Fe is 1.9ppm/1k miles! Very desirable.
The Al is well below 1ppm/1k.
The other wear metals are so freakishly low it's not even worth talking about.

The 5.0L Coy motor is a beast; just almost impossible to kill. (Comes from good breeding stock; based on the old mod-motor.) That engine is doomed to run another 300k miles before it even thinks of slowing down. Probably just broken in now ...
grin.gif

I will be interested to see the UOAs on the new 2018 Coy motor. If I understand correctly, they no longer have a steel liner sleeve in the bore, but are now coated/hardened similar to how many motorcycle engines are done. Wonder how that might affect wear trends? Time will tell!

I will also note that herein lays more evidence for ignoring TBN/TAN for most of you. A few examples of crossover are here, and yet wear was totally unaffected. Perfect example of how/why certain condemnation items should actually NOT be a reason to condemn a fluid. Arbitrary limits are set from old-school thinking (if crossover happens, or if TBN is 50% of starting point, or if it gets down to "X" value, etc). Knowing TBN/TAN is important in extended OCIs, not because the relationship itself is going to cause doom, but because it may be a precursor to an escalation in wear. Hence, "crossover" is a reason to start watching the UOA data closer, with more scrutiny. Crossover is a reason to pay more attention to wear trending. Crossover is NOT, in and of itself, a reason to change oil. Crossover speaks to the potential for a wear trend shift; it does not indicate anything is actually wrong. And these UOAs prove it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

The 5.0L Coy motor is a beast; just almost impossible to kill. (Comes from good breeding stock; based on the old mod-motor.) That engine is doomed to run another 300k miles before it even thinks of slowing down. Probably just broken in now ...
grin.gif

I will be interested to see the UOAs on the new 2018 Coy motor. If I understand correctly, they no longer have a steel liner sleeve in the bore, but are now coated/hardened similar to how many motorcycle engines are done. Wonder how that might affect wear trends? Time will tell!

I will also note that herein lays more evidence for ignoring TBN/TAN for most of you. A few examples of crossover are here, and yet wear was totally unaffected. Perfect example of how/why certain condemnation items should actually NOT be a reason to condemn a fluid. Arbitrary limits are set from old-school thinking (if crossover happens, or if TBN is 50% of starting point, or if it gets down to "X" value, etc). Knowing TBN/TAN is important in extended OCIs, not because the relationship itself is going to cause doom, but because it may be a precursor to an escalation in wear. Hence, "crossover" is a reason to start watching the UOA data closer, with more scrutiny. Crossover is a reason to pay more attention to wear trending. Crossover is NOT, in and of itself, a reason to change oil. Crossover speaks to the potential for a wear trend shift; it does not indicate anything is actually wrong. And these UOAs prove it.

A couple of thoughts: First, the 2011 brochure identified the engine as a 5.0 V8, period. The 2018 brochure calls it a "5.0 Modular V8", so the term has been revived.

My second thought is that continuous UOA is a lot more valuable if you use the same oil each time. Not that oils can't be mixed but that some of the additives will vary from one brand to another and cause variations in the chemical analysis.

Overall, successful maintenance is nothing more than "read the book. Follow directions".
1. Use the recommended oil.
2. Check the oil level.
3. Never let the level go below the "add" mark.
4. Change the oil and filter when the manufacturer says to.

I realize that BITOG posts would drop by about 80% if everyone did these four things but it works for me. BTW: this is the 20th vehicle I have run using this formula - every one on Kendall - and I have done zero engine work on any of them.

I also noticed that the OCIs are around 9k+; is that by the OLM, or just an implied limit of your own choosing?
If by the OLM, was it an IOLM, or just OLM? What was the typical remaining life on the OLM, on average?

The Coyote motor is loosely based on the old "Modular" motor (4.6, 5.4, 6.8) because of the bore spacing and deck relationships. That way, Ford didn't have to buy all new machining systems; they were able to just retool the existing ones. They beefed up the block here and there, and all 5.0L Coys get 6-bolt mains (4 up and 2 cross), steel cranks, among a host of other improvements. And, for some reason, it holds nearly 9 qrts of lube for only 5L of displacement; that certainly helps keep oil temps down and wear ppm dispersed. Overall, a great engine design that I hope stays around for a long, long time. The "new" Coy in the F150 is 395 HP with 400 Ft-Lb, and I think the Mustang GT is at 460hp now; that's WELL over the old "1hp /cu-in" standard of cool from the 1960s. The power they get from these engines is impressive - the fact that they get those numbers and get it with reliability and longevity is amazing!

Last edited:
I also noticed that the OCIs are around 9k+; is that by the OLM, or just an implied limit of your own choosing?
If by the OLM, was it an IOLM, or just OLM? What was the typical remaining life on the OLM, on average?

The truck does indeed have an IOLM, as does my 2012 Escape 3.0 V6. The "change oil soon" message appears when the oil life is 5%. That works out to 9500 miles on a 10k drain interval. If there's a way to view the exact percentage after the first warning is indicated, I haven't figured it out. As a result, I just pick the first day we have decent weather and I have time and just change it.

I try to stick to their change algorithm. Ten years ago, 10,000 miles would have been bordering on neglect. As this engine can attest, 10k is not harming a thing. It goes back to "RTB,FD". Could I stretch it? Probably but I don't feel comfortable waiting longer than 10k to get a UOA. I've seen coolant dilution, intake leaks and other internal issues on UOAs.

Honestly, if all you're going to do is follow the IOLM (and there's absolutely nothing wrong with doing that), I'd not pay for more UOAs. The proof is there; the IOLM is very conservative and the lubes will be fine, as will the engine. You can UOA if you want, but there's no need. To pay for all those UOAs and then not alter your OCIs is just a waste, but if you're OK with that, that's fine.

PS - I call dibs on 2018 when you're ready to unload it!

Last edited:
Honestly, if all you're going to do is follow the IOLM (and there's absolutely nothing wrong with doing that), I'd not pay for more UOAs. The proof is there; the IOLM is very conservative and the lubes will be fine, as will the engine. You can UOA if you want, but there's no need. To pay for all those UOAs and then not alter your OCIs is just a waste, but if you're OK with that, that's fine.

PS - I call dibs on 2018 when you're ready to unload it!

I think that there is value in UOAs beyond just extending drain intervals. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...ll_#Post4569550
Here's a brand new unit, runs great and not typically a fuel dilution engine. Without UOA, I would not be watching for a potential problem. I have a Kendall fleet number from my days of operating 200+ diesel engines so my analysis cost is extremely reasonable. Even paying for Polaris, finding out about an intake leak just once pays for a lot of samples. UOAs tell me engine condition. UOA history tells me when something has changed.

I'll check with you in early 2025 about the 2018 if you're still interested.

Realizing that I'm about to derail the UOA topic ... I cannot resist.

How do you like the new 5.0L with it's revised induction, and the new 10spd trans? Are they substantially different enough that you perceive significant performance improvements? Any change to the lower-end torque feel? Just wondering how the revisions have changed things.

How do you like the new 5.0L with it's revised induction, and the new 10spd trans? Are they substantially different enough that you perceive significant performance improvements? Any change to the lower-end torque feel? Just wondering how the revisions have changed things.

It's a little early to make much of a comparison. The last truck had a 3.55 rear gear and this one has a 3.31 so I expect this one to be a little slower off the line. In addition, the last one was a limited slip and this one is the e-locker so I can't just stand on it from a stopped position like the 11. With less than 700 miles on it I really haven't stood on it yet but it pulls just fine when the need arises. If I have a concern about the new motor it's the absence of sleeves. I remember the Chevrolet Vega.

The transmission is still 'learning' shifts but it has smoothed out considerably. The biggest change is auto stop/start. I don't like the idea of starting the engine and instantly putting it under load. There has to be a little delay in building oil pressure. It's handy if you get stopped by a train...waiting for a break in traffic it seems silly.

Overall, the new truck rides better, is quieter, the electronics are amazing and Sync 3 actually seems to work. Sync in the old truck was proof that Microsoft hates people. Both trucks are XLT trim and are all I could ask for. It seems hard to believe that the trim level is one notch up from the bottom.

Originally Posted By: AITG

It's a little early to make much of a comparison. The last truck had a 3.55 rear gear and this one has a 3.31 so I expect this one to be a little slower off the line. In addition, the last one was a limited slip and this one is the e-locker so I can't just stand on it from a stopped position like the 11. With less than 700 miles on it I really haven't stood on it yet but it pulls just fine when the need arises. If I have a concern about the new motor it's the absence of sleeves. I remember the Chevrolet Vega.

The transmission is still 'learning' shifts but it has smoothed out considerably. The biggest change is auto stop/start. I don't like the idea of starting the engine and instantly putting it under load. There has to be a little delay in building oil pressure. It's handy if you get stopped by a train...waiting for a break in traffic it seems silly.

Overall, the new truck rides better, is quieter, the electronics are amazing and Sync 3 actually seems to work. Sync in the old truck was proof that Microsoft hates people. Both trucks are XLT trim and are all I could ask for. It seems hard to believe that the trim level is one notch up from the bottom.

Here's some additional info on the 10 speed. I live in NW Michigan and we have a lot of rolling two lane roads. The 10 speed is working out really well on cruise control at 65 mph. The engine loafs along at 1400 rpm. Climbing, the trans will drop to 7th or 6th and maintain speed effortlessly. The downside is that very light throttle shifts aren't as smooth as the old 6 speed. This setup wants to be driven like you mean it.

Originally Posted By: thunderfog
Is the 2018 5.0 GDI? Just curious.

It is the new 16 injector setup.

I know I'm a lil late to this thread but [censored],its hard to imagine another oil bettering this Kendall for the price. Outstanding,but I'm still wondering how 5w30 would do. Looks like the perfect match. Enjoy the new truck!!

Originally Posted By: Shellguy
I'm still wondering how 5w30 would do. Looks like the perfect match. Enjoy the new truck!!

You lost me. 127,000 miles, 10k drain interval, and wear is virtually non existent. Exactly what would you like to have 5W30 do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back