2011 Charger 5.7L Hemi Lifter Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took these pictures from one of our 2011 Chargers with the 5.7 Hemi and less than 80k. Car would still run like a scalded dog and you could only feel a slight miss at WOT. Regular oil changes with synthetic oil and the vehicle did have the cam and lifter recall performed at a dealer. I wonder if the recall work was actually performed?

F55xJzY.jpg

mjsZNG3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Holy [censored]! That is all galled up, sure looks defective if all the others are good...

All the others looked good. Wish I had taken a picture of the lobe on the cam. It wore a grove down about the width of a quarter.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Well, that cam is junk. What oil was used?

Not sure of the brand but a 5w20 synthetic.

Were the replacement lifters marked differently? Maybe the dealer forgot to do one?

Bad metallurgy/heat treatment of parts.

Only 1 lifter failed - oil is not to blame.

I would think this would make a LOT of noise.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Were the replacement lifters marked differently? Maybe the dealer forgot to do one?

I did not compare all the lifters but I'm sure the mechanic doing the tear down did. I too wonder if the dealer mixed parts up, forgot to do one like you said, or purposely did not do it but charged FCA for the recall anyway? All we can go by is that the local dealer says the recall was completed but the warranty on the recall had expired a year earlier.

I think it was a faulty casting of the metal to make it go bad but really a miss at WOT probably not a good way to explain it. I have yet to hold mine wide open other than to the shift point.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
That's why I use 5W30 with NO problems.

So.. You think using thicker oil prevents this from happening?

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I wonder if the recall was done, but with an already in stock off the shelf pre-recall cam/lifter?

Obviously I don't do Mopar, but we don't stock cams and lifters on purpose. If it is a recall, you can't use old parts anyway. The claim to the manufacturer will not be paid with old parts on the RO.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I wonder if the recall was done, but with an already in stock off the shelf pre-recall cam/lifter?

Obviously I don't do Mopar, but we don't stock cams and lifters on purpose. If it is a recall, you can't use old parts anyway. The claim to the manufacturer will not be paid with old parts on the RO.

So, what do you think, just one of those fluke things that happen sometimes? How hard would it be for a dealer to get paid for warranty work they do not do?

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

So.. You think using thicker oil prevents this from happening?

Absolutely not.

In this very high pressure and stress area,
there isn't enough difference between the oils to save it.

This is bad parts manufacturing, period.

If just oil was the cause, there would be more damaged in the engine than just the lifter/cam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back