Used truck with dealer lifetime warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noticed dealers here advertising these "lifetime" warranties. We are looking at a used truck that has this warranty but I'm naturally skeptical. What's the catch? Thanks.

I equate it to buying a bad term life insurance policy.
You gotta pay the dealer whatever they wanna charge and at specified intervals set by them
for maintaining that warranty. They say it needs new brake pads and you don't want them throwing them on,
guess what? your no longer covered if the engine takes a dump. Don't say because the two aren't related
that they cant deny the warranty. Read the fine print.

Check the fine print. I saw one simply advertising a warranty from Lube related failure. Their requirement...? 3,000 mile oil changes at the dealer to maintain said engine warranty. That's it.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I equate it to buying a bad term life insurance policy.
You gotta pay the dealer whatever they wanna charge and at specified intervals set by them
for maintaining that warranty. They say it needs new brake pads and you don't want them throwing them on,
guess what? your no longer covered if the engine takes a dump. Don't say because the two aren't related
that they cant deny the warranty.
Read the fine print

I agree.
Probably similar to an Extended Warranty.
I saw on the News where a lady had an Extended Warranty.
Her Son changed the oil himself and 'did not' save the oil receipt.
The lady had problems with the Transmission and the warranty Co. said "where's the oil receipts ?"
"Transmission warranty DENIED"

Nobody ever follows through on the concept...

A dealer offers a dog's dirt guarantee / warranty THEREFORE the dealer IS dog's dirt slime and should not be patronized.

Simple really!

Dodges Lifetime warranty is as good as Gold.
Change my oil myself. Some insane oil change intervals on the differentials. I don't save receipts. I keep a service journal and show it to them for the every 5 year inspection. They can tell when they open a engine or even drop the pan if you are lying in oil changes. I change religiously.
3000-4000 miles or every 5 months which sometimes is only 1500 miles but I buy oil cheap.
I would only buy a warranty if you could pay monthly. The big scam was sell you a lifetime warranty or even to 100,000 miles get enough warranty holders. Go out of business and start up again under another name get a 1000 buyers fold again and your out the money up front with no warranty.

Nothing but a $$$ making scheme. They will try to minimize any claim you might have and don't have $$$ going out their door in mind with this coverage.

I've also heard "Tires for Life". Same scam, have to have all the maintenance done at the dealer to qualify, on their maintenance schedule - not the manufacturer's. Those cheap Chinese tires they'll put on will cost you a fortune.

Does a home insurance company pay out if the DIY electrical job burns the house down? Nope.
Does a car insurance company pay out for back yard fender repair? Nope.
Would a extended warranty insurance company honor a faulty engine or transmission serviced by mom's son? Nope. Shade tree mechanics and DIY'ers will likely get denied unless they can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt they did the job correctly. Even then, they are not certified or licensed.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I've also heard "Tires for Life". Same scam, have to have all the maintenance done at the dealer to qualify, on their maintenance schedule - not the manufacturer's. Those cheap Chinese tires they'll put on will cost you a fortune.

Actually the dealer I bought the truck from will match or beat what any tire shop (excluding internet tires). But I ended up buying at the new Sullivan tire up the street because they offered lifetime rotation and balance - no terms to that. Whenever i want. First rotation coming up in spring. We'll see.

These are always to the new buyer and not transferable. Won’t be available on a used truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back