Cleaning brake dust - eyes hurting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen,

I know asbsestos is no longer in the brake materials these days but every time I clean the dust of the wheels my eyes hurt and wonder what made it into my lungs. Usually I wear a face mask while doing it but forgot yesterday.

Is brake dust dangerous as it was back in the day when asbestors was used as an abrasive agent.

Are you spraying it out with compressed air? I would stop doing that.

Power wash the living dickens out of your wheels before you ever get close to them to clean them.

You need to keep the airborne particles as close to zero as possible.

Use a garden hoze and spay with high nozzle setting and then only work on them
Even then my eyes hurt like there is sand in my eyes, wonder whats in my lungs now!!

There is still a chance there is asbestos in brake pads and shoes. One of many articles:

https://www.freedoniagroup.com/Content/B...ght-Not-Realize

I wash the brakes down with brake clean and then the hose before doing brakes, and wear a dust mask suitable for asbestos. When I was younger it was used in brakes a lot, and most auto-enthusiasts and mechanics were exposed to it unfortunately.

KrisZ is correct, there are other dangerous things that become airborne when doing brakes. Wash them down good and wear a protective mask and gloves.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Gentlemen,

I know asbsestos is no longer in the brake materials these days but every time I clean the dust of the wheels my eyes hurt and wonder what made it into my lungs. Usually I wear a face mask while doing it but forgot yesterday.

Is brake dust dangerous as it was back in the day when asbestors was used as an abrasive agent.

Asbestos is still around a lot more than you think, does anyone believe the pads from China, India and other places don't have it? Think again. Always use a good respirator like the one from 3M and wet it down first with brake cleaner before handling.

This is P100 rated for asbestos.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Medium-House-Hold-Multi-Purpose-Respirator-65021HA1-C/202080143

http://www.aa1car.com/library/trtu796.htm

https://www.icij.org/investigations/dangers-dust/top-asbestos-user-china-faces-epidemic-cancer/

I replaced the rear brake shoes and drums on one of my Jeeps last weekend. I powerwashed it hard before I disassembled all the pieces.
It probably didn't have asbestos, but avoid breathing the dust like the plague.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
I replaced the rear brake shoes and drums on one of my Jeeps last weekend. I powerwashed it hard before I disassembled all the pieces.
It probably didn't have asbestos, but avoid breathing the dust like the plague.

I'm always cautious with brakes. The problem is you don't know if they have asbestos or not, there is a good chance they do, especially older style drum brakes. Unless you know for sure handle them as if they contain asbestos.

What a lot of people don't realize is the asbestos dust can get trapped in clothes and shoes and transported into the house. Tossed in the hamper they can contaminate other clothes and the asbestos can even get into the washing machine and be transferred to sheets, pillow cases, you name it. Many women died as a result of doing their husband's clothes.

Be very careful and read up on idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Symptoms are treatable for a while but there is no cure. If you work in an environment where very fine particles are suspended in the air you might breath your only defense is to wear a respirator. A face mask is ineffective protection. The CDC reports that people diagnosed with IPF live 3 to 5 years before dying from scar tissue in the lungs that can't be removed that causes lack of oxygen to the heart and brain. It's a hard way to go, lots of choking and suffering.

Real men collect the dust during brake jobs, roll it into cigarettes and smoke it.
This cancer and lung disease stuff is just another Chinese plot.

OH NO! My flame suit is in the wash....better change tac.

I sluice down every brake job with cleaner before disassemble anything. I catch the drippings with a disposable towel.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Be very careful and read up on idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Symptoms are treatable for a while but there is no cure. If you work in an environment where very fine particles are suspended in the air you might breath your only defense is to wear a respirator. A face mask is ineffective protection. The CDC reports that people diagnosed with IPF live 3 to 5 years before dying from scar tissue in the lungs that can't be removed that causes lack of oxygen to the heart and brain. It's a hard way to go, lots of choking and suffering.

My cousin's GF died from that, you're right it is a horrible way to die.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Get some life insurance.

Nice, I feel better in my eyes, the weekend was crazy irritated.

I didn't use brake cleaner rather a degreaser and heavy duty cleaner

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Originally Posted By: Lubener
Get some life insurance.

Nice, I feel better in my eyes, the weekend was crazy irritated.

I didn't use brake cleaner rather a degreaser and heavy duty cleaner
read the labels either one of those would sting

Before I touch them, I liberally spray down the wheels, wheel wells, calipers and discs with Sonax non-acid based wheel cleaner and let it sit until it turns dark red (it's initially a bright violet color). Then I pressure wash the living daylights out of them. I use EBC Ultimax2's on all my vehicles, which does produce some brake dust but not to the extent you describe that is affects my eyes and lungs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back