Success of Genesis Brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In your opinion based on what you've/we've read and/or what we actually know(if anything), what is the success of Hyundai's luxury brand, Genesis?

To start, I feel that they will make a dent in the luxury brand market due to having a wonderful product that seems to have the style, quality, luxury, performance for those who are not brand loyal or brand snobbish. Then, I think they will gain a reputation based on those features I listed(and more) to be a solid contender in the luxury vehicle arena and offer a larger line of vehicles to aid in their success, the same way Lexus did.

What say you?

Too little, too late.

They're still derivative, mainly aping the bigger player's current offerings while they're busy making moves towards exotic materials and electric propulsion.

If they brought anything new to the table besides bargain pricing they may be worth a look.

I think I've only seen 2 or 3 of them on the road.

What I'd like to know is how much faster did Hyundai introduced Genesis vs. Nissan, Honda and Toyota introduced Infinity, Acura and Lexus respectively.

Hyundai likely saw the successes of the other 3 and accelerated the production of their luxury car.

Only difference is,Genesis was a Hyundai model before becoming a stand alone brand.Infinity,Acura and Lexus had to generate everything from scratch.Much like Edsel.Had Edsel startedout as a "Ford Edsel" and then spun off into separate dealers/brand later on,it might have survived.

I see a few, mainly driven by retirees who want a fancy car. Not mainstream by any sense.

A silly fancied up Honda or Nissan or Toyota is bad enough. A Hyundai?!?

Then again, if the Germans price themselves out of reality on the sale and subsequent service, who knows...

I think it will do good.....from reviews online im watching it is class leading in some things. I do not think it will over take Lexus only because people are brainwashed to think they are the best....however blindfold someone and let them drive it back to back and I think a lot would prefer the Genesis....again this is from people that I think are good at reviewing cars and they are preferring the Genesis to its competition.

The genesis brand has been around in one form or another for over 10 years. They haven’t made a dent.

So tempted to upgrade the sonata to a genesis g80 but the fact than you cant fold down the rear seats is a deal breaker, especially when an e-class and 5 series can.

I think they should have went with a name other than Genesis. What is it the beginning of?

I don't think it will be taking much business away from legacy luxury brands, because people who buy those cars are usually brand conscious. But I'm sure people who want a high end Avalon, Buick, or Lincoln might consider it as an alternative. Also, people who currently own a Kia or a Hyundai and are happy with their cars but want to upgrade in the future will buy them.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Mazda tried to do the upscale branding (forget the name) and it didn't work out. Millenium?

Well, Mazda had a Millenia sedan which replaced the 929 and they were also entertaining the thought of vehicles in the luxury car market with a brand that was to be called "Amity". Turns out, Mazda just didn't have the capitol for this luxury car division.

I thought that since Lexus is going more sporty/or hi-perf with many of their models that, the Genesis brand would catch some of the traditional Lexus buyers that may abandon Lexus and still want the smooth, soft & quiet luxury car like the Genesis.

And I have seen video reviews of the Genesis G80/90 even when they were still with Hyundai where the reviewers said, drive this price category blindfolded and one may in fact pick the Genesis. However, people buy with their eyes open and the name & emblem on the car means something to many.

Last edited:
I'm toying with the idea of picking up a used Hyundai Genesis with the V8 engine. They depreciated a lot.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
Hyundai's brand has stalled.

How so? I ask because I don't know!

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
It's a woman's car.

Cars are marketed toward women, sold to 50% of women(or more) and designed by women.

I notice Here in rusty New England that at +-10yrs Hyundai and Kia are rotted pretty bad. Honda and Toyota still looking pretty good

Its a good idea...but IMO they should have never badged it a Hyundai for a decade. It should have originated as Genesis to become the luxury arm. I see a lexus as a Lexus instead of a Toyota but i see a Genesis as just a Hyundai.

I dont think they are seriously going to grab any sales from people shopping for Mercedes-Benz AMGs anytime soon. Its not even in the same league IMO. They have a lot of catching up to do.

I believe they can build a car to rival an AMG but im not sure they can persuade the popluace to seeing them as equal for a couple decades.

They were able to push their way into the standard car market in 20 years and becone competitive, but i think the luxury market is even more difficult.

Its hard to stand toe to toe with Mercedes and BMW as a newcomer. Lexus, Infinity, Acura, and Jaguar have all been fighting that battle for 30years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back