Anyone out there still spinning vinyl records?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the normal component stereo stack and big speakers back in the day. But once CD's became the norm the stereo system, turn table and records went.

Anyone out there still playing records and/or has a big record collection?

Yes.
Still have Dual and B&O tables.
Granted don't spin as often because it's really convenient to pull up my collection off the server, but there are times when only vinyl will do.

Last edited:
Pretty much everyday. We have a nice mix of new and old records. I that there is so much available new these days. I also am a CASSETTE buff as well.

Originally Posted By: CARJ
I also am a CASSETTE buff as well.

All of my cassette players have failed....

oils get gummy, rubber belts stretch and break, etc, etc, etc,

The reason to spin vinyl is because about 90% of the music on LP will never be released in a digital form. Throwing out LPs in favour of CDs or digital streams is like burning your books and relying on someone to release a Kindle version. Not going to happen for most of the texts in existence either.

REGA RP3 turntable w/ RB300 arm, Clearaudio Concept (MM) and DENON DL-103 (MC) phono cartridges, Acoustic Signature TANGO MM/MC Phono preamp

I still have my Nak cassette deck, 30 years old and going strong.

Not that I'm a total luddite ... there are plenty of CDs and digital files as well (I usually copy a CD to a Hard Drive as soon as I buy it, and it isn't touched again, typically).

My motto: A day without music is a day wasted

Yamaha cr820 receiver
Philips cassette deck
Audio Reflex graphic EQ
2-AKAI D-drive turntables
2 Cizek loud speakers
2 RAEALISTIC Minimus 7 spk

I have been selling off & dwindled down my 500+ albums to ~ 300

Last edited:
I've got several thousand albums and 45's,all mid to late 60s rock,original pressings.

Realistic STA-2300 receiver
Realistic LAB-440 turntable
Audio Source EQ-One
2 Pioneer RG-9 dynamic processors
Electro Voice horn loaded speakers

Yes,I like it LOUD!!

Here's what I played last night:

^^Your Simon and Garfunkel,and Beatles are in mono too! Bonus points!
laugh.gif

My favorite song off Meet the Beatles is "Don't Bother Me". That's probably my all time favorite Beatles song,if not one of my all time favorite songs ever. "The Sounds of Silence" and "I am a Rock" sound KILLER in mono. Superior to the stereo mixes.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Throwing out LPs in favour of CDs or digital streams is like burning your books and relying on someone to release a Kindle version.

When CD's came out, people were dumping their vinyl for the new format. We would go to the market and pick up LP's for 20 cents, and add to our collection. So we still have a large vinyl collection, but seldom play them. They are now MP3's on my phone, on the computer, or these days I just stream the music I want to hear. Hard to get rid of my old stuff though, there is a real connection to the records I grew up with.

I have a nice collection of vinyl. Prob a few hundred. Turntable is a Technics 1210 (I love these) . Older Yamaha receiver with 120WPC, and a pair of Polk RTi-A9 speakers (which are not that great in the bass department) .

I really enjoy listening to albums, and it's a real treat when I put of a clear sounding, non scratched album and crank it up to rock concert levels.

I won't claim vinyl sounds better, only that I enjoy the experience. Certainly, some of the CD's of older rock don't sound good (lacking highs/sounding muddy) , due to tape degradation prior to recording the CD. In that case, vinyl is much more pleasing, even with cracks and pops.

TechnicsSL-1210MK2_1.JPG

Last edited:
I have an AR XA with a Shure M93 connected to the Denon receiver in my basement HTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back