We lost an hour

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we were smart enough to move our schedules with the seasons we wouldn't need the clock shenanigans.

Interesting fact for shift workers in Oz is that if your 12 hour shift becomes 13 hours because of the clock move, you get paid 12...if it becomes 11 hours, you get paid 12.

If we were smart we would get rid of timezones and use UTC. Who gives a hoot if you're going to bed at 16:00 and that's when Im waking up?

I prefer having some daylight available after a long day of work. I get very little free time, so I'd like to be able to use it effectively.

Last edited:
Here in Az it's light enough to drive without lights around 5am in the summer and getting dark around 8pm, in December it's well after 7am to 5.30pm. Never had a feel for the actual difference in the east with DST.

Where I work we start an hour earlier in the summer because of how hot the buildings get late afternoon.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I prefer having some daylight available after a long day of work. I get very little free time, so I'd like to be able to use it effectively.

I wish we could all go to work at 4:00 AM and be off work at 12:00 PM

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Back to daylight savings for no reason at all. People in Arizona are smart.

You must not be someone who enjoys outdoor activities - or, you have plenty of time during the day to get outside.

I work during the day, so I really look forward to having that extra daylight in the evening to go mountain biking/trail running/etc.

If we can ever have 3-4 days without rain so the trails can dry out a little, I'll bring my mountain bike to work and head to the trail right after work!

linctex said, "I wish we could all go to work at 4:00 AM and be off work at 12:00 PM"

NO, not everybody. That would only shift the rush hours for everybody and "nothing" would change.

I want to go to work at 4:00 AM because nobody else is around-no traffic etc. It would be energizing to go home at 12:00 PM.

Knowing we moved the clocks ahead one hour -- winter is on its way out. I like/prefer the extra hour of sunshine at the end of the day when getting home from work is just one of the pluses moving the clocks ahead.

Dale

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Back to daylight savings for no reason at all. People in Arizona are smart.

You must not be someone who enjoys outdoor activities - or, you have plenty of time during the day to get outside.

I work during the day, so I really look forward to having that extra daylight in the evening to go mountain biking/trail running/etc.

If we can ever have 3-4 days without rain so the trails can dry out a little, I'll bring my mountain bike to work and head to the trail right after work!

I enjoy the great outdoors and work traditional day shift hours, but I find it insane in the summer time when it stays light out until 9pm. I am not outside at that time during the week (I have work the following morning) and would much prefer to have that time in the morning for the AM commute.

Right now, it's still below freezing in the morning. It'll be dark again for the morning commute and the sun will set at 7 as opposed to 6 while still being 32*F outside. Not that much of a gain IMO.

People are free to research this, but power bills arguably go up during this time as well.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
If we were smart enough to move our schedules with the seasons we wouldn't need the clock shenanigans.

Interesting fact for shift workers in Oz is that if your 12 hour shift becomes 13 hours because of the clock move, you get paid 12...if it becomes 11 hours, you get paid 12.

Well, because they work for 12 hours in either case! But of course you knew that!!

I hate the time change being this early. I get up for workout and work at 415 and this doesn't make it any easier. At when it's 30 degrees outside when I get home with snow still on the ground, the extra daylight does me no good. I wish we would just set the time in the middle and just keep it that way year round.

Yep same here, don't switch back. I rather have an extra hour of light at the end of the day.

I like the change between the two times also. I guess an advantage in the winter is with the long nights, I get to use my telescope and observe the night sky.

I would prefer dark in the morning and more sun after work as well. In winter you are ready for bed too early.

I would prefer dark in the morning and more sun after work as well. In winter you are ready for bed too early.

When I was younger I worked shift work for a corporate bank doing backend IT stuff. I worked 4 days a week from 8pm to 7am. It was brutal on my body.

Been working 6 years in Texas from 8am to 5pm. Its nice to come home at 5 and get some stuff done while its still warm and have some daylight.

I'm looking forward to the pool opening in early May so I can get back into 3x week lap swimming after work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back