Starter Brushes

Status
Not open for further replies.
What type of solder should I use on starter brushes? Searched a lot but either its not mentioned or gets too technical for me. I have 96tin 4silver, 422deg melting point on hand.

81FLzVXUmQL._SL1500_.jpg

Use a solder meant for electronics work which has a rosin core either in the 60/40 or 63/37 formulation. The use of anything else will cause a connection failure in short order. Also make sure that you use a soldering iron or gun with a high enough wattage to completely heat the solder and surrounding metal or you will end up with a cold solder joint which is guaranteed to have an early failure.

Originally Posted By: junksta
422deg melting point on hand.

That's a tiny bit low, but HEY - if your starter ever sees 421*F you are doing something WRONG!

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
I would also suggest buying some rosin flux.

Why do suggest this over the (very common) standard of Rosin CORE solder?

dont listen to these folks. They are not in the business.

60 40 will NOT hold up. Not even on alternator brushes.

3.5% usually does not holdup unless the starter is from the 60 or older. Flux must be completely removed after solder. this solder is OK for alternator brushes.

15% silver strip (Phos copper brazing alloy). Flux is not needed and a spot welder is best.

these days everything has been so reduced in size high heat is common.

Someone will be along to say they used it and it was fine. If a rebuilder used that low temp solder the warranties would put them out of the business.

Rod

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
I would also suggest buying some rosin flux.

Why do suggest this over the (very common) standard of Rosin CORE solder?

Maybe I'm not good at it but the soldering I do I find works better when I use flux first instead of just heating up wires and melt the solder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back