Are you cutting down on high fructose corn syrup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triple_Se7en

$50 Site Donor 2024
Most recently purchased Heinz Simply Ketchup instead of regular Heinz, no more high fructose corn syrup.
Last month I needed pancake syrup - retired Miss Aunt Jemima and purchased Log Cabin Original, without high fructose corn syrup.
Swapped-out my fructose-loaded Pepsi 12pk for Pepsi with Sugar this time-around...... I like it.

Are some of you BITOGERs doing the same?

Definitely. It's been banned as a food for humans in other countries (including Canada) because of negative health effects.

They are doing that strictly for marketing purposes. Sugar is sugar. The reason why they used high fructose corn syrup to begin with is it's about half price as sugar or 42/62 DE corn syrup.

Most people eat boat loads of bread and flours and make it a big portion of their diet you do that you might as well be eating HFC many ways no different than eating the bread.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Definitely. It's been banned as a food for humans in other countries (including Canada) because of negative health effects.

Any links to back this up? All the info I found says there are quotas and Canada calls it glucose-fructose syrup.

Cut it out of my intake about 3 yrs ago. Also cut out MSG and as much soy and soy by products as practical.

Always have for many reasons. My wife and I were/are raised Jewish and despite my wife being nearly 5'9" 121 pounds, she has type 1 diabetes.
Type 1 diabetes has nothing to do with weight. I use to buy kosher Coke when it's available during Passover. Secret: It is in 2 litre bottles, has a yellow cap and is found in grocery stores serving a large Jewish population like the Kroger stores in Bexley, OH.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Most recently purchased Heinz Simply Ketchup instead of regular Heinz, no more high fructose corn syrup.
Last month I needed pancake syrup - retired Miss Aunt Jemima and purchased Log Cabin Original, without high fructose corn syrup.
Swapped-out my fructose-loaded Pepsi 12pk for Pepsi with Sugar this time-around...... I like it.

Are some of you BITOGERs doing the same?

We did the exact same last month with our ketchup, replaced out the high fructose version. The version without the high fructose tastes the same to me so I'm happy with the switch.

Did this a few years back. Also cut a bunch of sugar out of my diet more generally. No joke -- these were some of the best decisions I've ever made.

I try not to use products that contain it. Pretty easy for us since my wife shops primarily at Whole Foods.
I also don't drink a lot of soda but when I do I have either Mexican Coke or Boylan's. I was having a Mexican Coke one day at work and the guys were questioning why I would pay 2.00 for Coke in a glass bottle when we have it for free in cans. We sent the helper to the cafeteria for two more Mexican Cokes and did a taste test. Hands down, the Mexican Coke with cane sugar SMOKED the US made HFCS Coke.
They still won't pay for it but they see my point.

I see more people on the site trying to improve and making Health a bigger part of their lifestyle as everyone should. I usually don’t care what others do but just finished up a fantastic book and his newest one. Mark Hyman MD. titled FOOD What The Heck Should I Eat. I have no agenda and many other diets work but most fail this I believe is best information of what common sense you need for healthy lifestyle overall.

Nothing new here. Have avoided CS/HFCS as far as I can remember - my mother always shopped that way too.

Generally avoid soda, which is a big player in that regard... only occasionally take Pepsi throwback or kosher coke for the five or ten rum and cokes I have over the course of a year.

I do however have a sweet tooth. I like some candies, some ice cream (have moved to Wegmans brand that has like five ingredients), homemade cookies, etc. but I rarely eat bread, rice or pasta, fwiw. I do want to cut further on sweets.

I also like the few ingredients that you can read and understand type concept.

But I also recognize that sometimes you get some HFCS or whatever, and it's not the end of th world.

I live in Canada, the Pepsi in the fridge lists fructose as the second ingredient, French's Ketchup shows liquid sugar as an ingredient.
So if fructose is banned in Canada, major food companies and consumers are clueless about the regulation.

Swapping corn syrup for high fructose syrup is rediculous. I use to work in a plant that made the stuff. The only difference is the ratios it is all blended back together. They are both made by the same process.

Look down the aisle of soda drinks in your grocery,,,sugar heaven, but they are looking out for our good health,,right??

I don't believe that is correct, at least I've never heard that. We don't use Corn Sugars because sugar from Corn is the most expensive form of sugar, and corn farmers here don't receive any subsidies. The wholesale price for sugar in the US is multiple times the world price, but you prohibit imports. We grow Sugar Beets here.

For example Coke Syrup is made only in Atlanta with Corn Sugars, and that is what is shipped worldwide to bottlers, who add their own sugars and carbonated water to create Coca-Cola, typically those added sugars are whatever is available locally. Also any food imported from the US (frozen, canned, etc) might contain High Fructose Corn Sugars. it's on the shelfs in supermarkets, so I don't see how it could be banned.

As I understand it, it's restricted (limited quantities are imported) but not banned in the EU.

US-approved food additives that are banned in Canada:

Potassium Bromate (Bromated flour)
Olestra (Olean)
Recombinant Bovine Somatotropin
Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Look down the aisle of soda drinks in your grocery,,,sugar heaven, but they are looking out for our good health,,right??
You just don’t have to look at soda walk down just about every aisle packaged foods are loaded with garbage.

Last edited:
I try to avoid all added sugars. If I am eating a gram of carbohydrates, I need more than just calories. I need to get actual nutrients and fiber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back