should I relocate to Arizona area IT job

Status
Not open for further replies.
should I relocate to Arizona area IT job?

call center type but decent pay. Is this area 'not bad'?
has anyone heard of this job opening there? phoenix? Isn't this name translated to some mythical dragon or bird that gets resurrected or rose from the ashes of its death?

Last edited:
Well, it’s gets hotter than he!! in Phoenix during the summer but the winters are quite nice. Az does have a state income tax so consider that, and our vehicle license tax is pure extortion.
https://www.azdot.gov/media/blog/posts/2...ees-calculated-

I’m retired and live at altitude so I have 4 seasons, mostly mild. The lack of humidity makes it worthwhile. I moved to Az from Houston because I like 95% sunny days, low humidity and at least where I live the use of the heater is limited in the winter and A/C use in the summer is limited too. Spring and Fall are freebies. No hurricanes. The population of Houston and its surrounding areas has more people than the whole state of Az. which depending on your point of view is either good or bad. Lots of neat places to go and explore on weekends. Good luck and hope this helps.

As said above, Phoenix is huge. What do you want to know specifically? I work on an IT Help Desk, we have Intel, Insight, and lots of other tech companies.

West Phoenix isn't so nice. I live in the East valley in Mesa (they're all connected) and it's a lot nicer out here. Same with Chandler, Gilbert, and Tempe. Scottsdale is pricy and so is Paradise Valley.

A Phoenix is a mythological bird. Our summers are brutal, 110+ degrees regularly. We get over 100 days a year over 100 degrees.

I baked cookies in the car a couple years ago. Here's that thread:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4128925/1

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
As said above, Phoenix is huge. What do you want to know specifically? I work on an IT Help Desk, we have Intel, Insight, and lots of other tech companies.

West Phoenix isn't so nice. I live in the East valley in Mesa (they're all connected) and it's a lot nicer out here. Same with Chandler, Gilbert, and Tempe. Scottsdale is pricy and so is Paradise Valley.

A Phoenix is a mythological bird. Our summers are brutal, 110+ degrees regularly. We get over 100 days a year over 100 degrees.

Like Nick has mentioned, it can be brutally HOT in the summer. But consider when 'summer' starts. It can easily be over 100 F. in May. Indeed by mid-April you will already be experiencing some very warm days. By early June you can easily see 116 F. days. When it's that hot it's difficult to be outside. The heat and the sun are oppressive. You really need to be inside for the day.

The 100 F + heat can continue though to mid October. So from my perspective -- a guy who was born in the midwest -- it's hot almost six months of the year. The heat in the Phoenix area is as much a factor to me as are long, brutal winters up north and back east.

Some people can adjust to the heat over a period of years. Others cannot tolerate it. So do consider the weather when contemplating a move to the Phoenix area.

WE (my family) were there in June/July 2014, and thought that the weather was grand...people were good also.

edit...daughter was in Mesa 6 weeks ago, and she agrees that the people are awesome there. Her host "sister" is coming for a few weeks in our winter...that's gonna be a shock

Last edited:
People in Phoenix play golf and tennis at 5AM since after 8AM it's too hot to be outside.

I think AMEX has a big location there.

I would upgrade your skills and move beyond a call center job.

Really depends on cost of living and if the new job will cover it and still net you more money. I don't know where you live in Texas and I don't know cost of living in Phoenix, but you need to do this research. A pay raise could actually be a pay cut if cost of living is much higher.

I had a former coworker & boss who moved out there, it is a pretty expensive place to live-30-40% more than here, pretty much across the board (housing, food, etc.). It would have to be a pretty huge bump in pay to be worth it.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I baked cookies in the car a couple years ago. Here's that thread:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4128925/1

Nick is right East Valley is nicer. We live in a retirement community in Mesa. As far as summer heat goes use common sense. Temp in the 90s and high humidity like many other areas of the country can be brutal also.

Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike
should I relocate to Arizona area IT job?

call center type but decent pay. Is this area 'not bad'?
has anyone heard of this job opening there? phoenix? Isn't this name translated to some mythical dragon or bird that gets resurrected or rose from the ashes of its death?

What is 'decent' pay ?
How much per year are they willing to pay ?

double vanos,

I agree that yearly vehicle tax is extortion and silly. Here in Florida no state income tax, no vehicle tax, no emission testing, no vehicle inspections, etc.

$504 to pay on a $30,000 vehicle so you can get a 2 cent decal for your Arizona license plate ! ? ! ? ! ?

crazy2.gif
confused2.gif

When I researched Phoenix it seemed that it is cheap (compared to my east coast/major city experience) but was primarily due to much lower wages and huge demand of people wanting to live there. I was told by someone that you competing with people around the country looking to live there.

I will add that we are in different industries so salaries and openings are much different.

Why are you wanting to relocate? I'm faced with that option as well. Every day, more local IT jobs are outsourced to offshore overseas factories importing workers. Rather than leave, I'm changing careers. Wherever you go, make sure its not the trend in that area

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

$504 to pay on a $30,000 vehicle so you can get a 2 cent decal for your Arizona license plate ! ? ! ? ! ?

crazy2.gif
confused2.gif

That's nothing, actually. When I lived in Mississippi if you bought a new 30K vehicle the first year tag would be around $1,100. Next year it would be around $800-$900. It varied per county, but you pretty much had to pay "sales tax" every year. I stuck to older vehicles when I lived there. A 5 year old $14K vehicle would still be around $350 for the tag.

Here in PA I just renewed my registration for 2 years at $72.
laugh.gif

Don't ask a life changing decision to be made by total strangers.You have to decide for yourself.
Anyway,in a few years Arizona will just be East California.

Wife and I moved to TX from NY because I got an IT job in Austin suburbs.

It turned out ok. Austin has turned into California, and the suburbs are turning into California slowly as well.

We were trying for jobs in Phoenix, but job in Texas called and made offer so here we are.

I think the dry heat in Phoenix is not as bad as Austin/Houston heat with humidity.

Either way heat does not bother me, and my occupation is not roofer, so I work in an office.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

I agree that yearly vehicle tax is extortion and silly. Here in Florida no state income tax, no vehicle tax, no emission testing, no vehicle inspections, etc.

crazy2.gif
confused2.gif

While Florida has no vehicle or state income taxes, Arizona's effective rate for property taxes as of 2017 is .68%, whereas Florida's is 1.05%. Comparing average home values with Arizona at ~$282k and Florida at $278k, the annual property tax in Arizona is $1,918 whereas Florida will collect $2,936. Of course, Arizona does have a state income tax, where they will make some of that up. I guess my point is, the government is going to get their share, they just collect in different ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back