Fighting fuel dilution: Honda 1.5L Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parshisha you’re info and one or two others are what I was thinking of. Almost bought the Corolla instead due to this but the fact that the UOAs don’t show wear metals gave me enough confidence to get the Honda.

The Touring doesn’t come with a manual that I’ve seen unfortunately so CVT for me.

As far as shortening the OCI it seems that the issue seems to lessen over the oil run no?

I don't see any change in oil level as of 2200 in my current fill. There's some gas odor to it but that's expected. Did a drop test and it showed very little fuel in it. I guess I'll pull the sample at around 5k and run UOA to see how does the oil looks like.

I wonder if Hondata fixed this in the newest 1.5T flashes that require premium, might be worth a shot but caveat emptor.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
UOAs from others on here with that engine show fuel dilution is an issue. Some of the comments that come back from the lab say to check for fuel leaks.
Just because fuel dilution exists doesn't mean it's an issue.

Is there any evidence that it matters? That fuel dilution is shortening engines life?

That's what I've been asking in these particular threads when they come up. Has there been actual failures due to this? Certain driving conditions can cause fuel dilution in many applications.

FWIW, my BIL has had his 2017 Civic LX hatchback 6spd for about a year and 30K+ miles at this point. It's been flawless for him and he claims he often gets stretches of over 40mpg with his usage.

A gas engine with a turbo really isn't on my radar regardless, but I wouldn't let it or this "fuel dilution" scare me away if this is the car I wanted.

Originally Posted By: parshisa
I don't see any change in oil level as of 2200 in my current fill. There's some gas odor to it but that's expected. Did a drop test and it showed very little fuel in it. I guess I'll pull the sample at around 5k and run UOA to see how does the oil looks like.

+1
Would appreciate your upcoming sharing of UOA and drop test pictures ........ for I'm a firm believer in free and easy drop test.

Seriously thinking about doing one (UOA) when I get a few miles in her.

So how would higher octane fuel effect this situation? I’m not seeing that it would be a positive.

I'd think that after driving while the engine is hot, let it idle for a minute or two. That way, the turbo is not pressurized so that there is no fuel/air getting shoved passed the rings. The heat of the engine should burn off any fuel that is trapped in the crankcase and allow the crankcase ventilation to work and recycle that air back into the engine.

Fuel dilution noted in China on the Honda 1.5T as well. See recall in China.
"The recall involves the CR-V sport utility vehicle and the Civic car equipped with a 1.5-litre turbo engine, Honda's joint venture with Dongfeng Motor Group Co Ltd said in a statement on Monday.

"The company is calling back those cars to resolve a problem caused by an unusual amount of un-combusted petrol collecting in the engine's lubricant oil pan.

"On short runs, Honda engineers believe the engine doesn't warm up enough to help un-combusted petrol accumulated in the lubricant oil pan to evaporate"

https://www.thestar.com.my/business/busi...r-engine-issue/

try some Marvel mystery oil. hoping it seals the rings. cant hurt. 4 OZ to 10 GAl . i have by accident ran more two times that with no bad out come

I'm doing step OCI's when the oil gets above full I'll draw off one qt. then refill it with fresh 0/40..using a modified Mighty Vac takes 10min. once a month.

Originally Posted By: parshisa
btw, you can oil drop test anytime you want just to check on how severe (if present at all) fuel dilution is. there's a lot of info on the web about and it's really helpful

What is that test"?

How do I do that?

Torque up the engine as early as you can for ring break in. Use the highest quality fuel and a 30 grade oil. If I was planning to keep it that's what I'd do.

This is very interesting discussion on the 1.5L Turbo!
I waited a few days after the last post to ask a few related questions.
a) Does anyone have info if Honda’s newer 2.0L Turbo also has a Fuel Dilution issue?
We can speculate that the 2.0T the same basic design, etc, but any real data yet?

b) I grew up in Ohio in the days of big cast iron V8’s with carbs. Those cold engines suffered fuel dilution in the winter (I have no hard data, but comments of oil-level rising on the dipstick rang a bell...). Does anyone have an opinion on the relative fuel dilution of those engines vs today’s DI issue? This will give some perspective - those old engines lasted with good care, even with “SC” & “SD” oil.

Thanks!

from reading DI surely contributes to fuel dilution, + i am NOT a fan of those water xxW20 oils that have no room to thin. they are only for that 1/4 to 1/2 mpg to meet the EPA regs + NOT for engine longevity IMO!!!

We just bought a CRV with the 1.5L turbo. Wow is an understatement with the CVT. My first change will be Amsoil 0W20 with a A01 filter. Keeping the interval to 10K or unless the minder tells me too sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back