Mixing Rotella t5 10w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I mix Rotella t5 10w-30 with something like a 0w-20 to thin it out a bit and make a thinner 30 weight? Rotella 10w-30 is very heavy, almost like a 40 weight, correct? Would the cold flowing properties still be a 10 weight?

Not all that close to 40 ... It looks and feels heavy to the thin oil crowd. Looks and feels about right to the thick crowd
smile.gif

If I wanted to thin it out some, I'd just use some Shell SAE 10, or something along those lines. Jobber should have Rotella 10 or 20 mono-grades in stock
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: PaulManDude
Can I mix Rotella t5 10w-30 with something like a 0w-20 to thin it out a bit and make a thinner 30 weight? Rotella 10w-30 is very heavy, almost like a 40 weight, correct? Would the cold flowing properties still be a 10 weight?

"10W" does not mean it is a 10-weight oil, in fact there is no SAE 10 grade oil. Within the somewhat messy confines of this thread you will see that the "W" is a cold-cranking rating, not a weight. Mixed oils do not guarantee any cold cranking specification will be met:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4672607/1

Plus when you mix oils (especially those of widely different chemistries) you also produce a mixture that has no certifications. There's no guarantee it will meet any of the certs or standards that any of the individual oils may individually meet. Do like slacktide_bitog mentioned and buy an oil that meets your engine certification requirements and is appropriate for the anticipated operating conditions.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Plus when you mix oils (especially those of widely different chemistries) you also produce a mixture that has no certifications. There's no guarantee it will meet any of the certs or standards that any of the individual oils may individually meet.

I'll bet that doesn't happen in real life very often, though.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Plus when you mix oils (especially those of widely different chemistries) you also produce a mixture that has no certifications. There's no guarantee it will meet any of the certs or standards that any of the individual oils may individually meet.

What doesn't? No mix is certified, by mixing you modify the formula that was approved, ergo, your "new" product is approved to absolutely no standard.

It's a nonlinear relationship. As mentioned earlier, that will drop the viscosity @ 100°C significantly more than the cold-temp viscosity. Mixing 1:1, it would end up closer to a "10W20" than a "5W20" or "5W30"

Without specific insider knowledge of the formulation I'd say the argument could better be made that it happens every time.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

What doesn't? No mix is certified, by mixing you modify the formula that was approved, ergo, your "new" product is approved to absolutely no standard.

Mixing doesn't hurt a thing. It has the same odds to improve things - as it does to flat-line. There's absolutely no proof mixing harms or lowers the life of the engine.

My engines are proof of that after almost 25 years of mixing. I'm even more proof.... being I am first & last owner of my vehicles. I've taken 18 year-old vehicles to junkyards badly rusted. Still have a clear dipstick - still only use a half-quart in OCI - still do not smoke. Engines are in great shape.... outside of the rest of the vehicle parts.
Mix-away..... blend away....... get better benefit of your hard-earned money by blending 50-50 for the same money that you paid for that 25-33% synthetic blend that bottlers gave you.

My current blend is 5w-30 Formula Shell conventional with Quaker State Ultimate Durability synthetic. One bought for 1.79qt at Menards and one bought for 2.13qt equivalent at Meijer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Mixing doesn't hurt a thing. It has the same odds to improve things - as it does to flat-line. There's absolutely no proof mixing harms or lowers the life of the engine.

My engines are proof of that after almost 25 years of mixing. I'm even more proof.... being I am first & last owner of my vehicles. I've taken 18 year-old vehicles to junkyards badly rusted. Still have a clear dipstick - still only use a half-quart in OCI - still do not smoke. Engines are in great shape.... outside of the rest of the vehicle parts..

The first part is correct but the second half of your statement is pure silliness. You're nothing but a blind formulator with no knowledge of additive chemistry at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back